Unisyn and Leopard

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Unisyn and Leopard

Post by James Steele »

FWIW, I was able to launch Unisyn 2.11 in Leopard and send a patch to my DM5 module. I don't have it connected for 2-way communication so I don't know if it would retrieve a sysex dump from it, but sending it worked okay. Perhaps Unisyn isn't broken by Leopard, which would be good because if it were to break, you have to wonder if it would get fixed. :?:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
chucks

Post by chucks »

Does Leopard still support Rosetta? Just wondering because it's not listed in the product specs. You're running a PPC so it's not an issue. On the Intel boxes Unisyn runs under Rosetta (no UB) so things may be a little different. Any Unisyn/Intel users ready to give Leopard a try?
emulatorloo

Post by emulatorloo »

chucks wrote:Does Leopard still support Rosetta?

http://www.macintouch.com/leopard/faq.html
Does Leopard include Rosetta?

Yes. Leopard runs on PowerPC-based Macs and Leopard runs PowerPC applications (including older Apple applications, such as AppleWorks) on Intel-based Macs, so Rosetta has to be included.
synthex222
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by synthex222 »

Yes, unisyn works with my leopard running on a mac mini, under rosseta
dannsh

Re: Unisyn and Leopard

Post by dannsh »

James:

I finally got around to trying Unisyn today. It will not launch for me. MOTU support told me they have not tested Unisyn with leopard. I tried unistalling, installing and restarting with no luck. I did file a tech note with MOTU and include the dump I was getting with the error. I find it hard to believe that they do not have a programmer somewhere looking to the compatibility.

Do you have any suggestions? Oh, signing as another user did not work.
I even tried trashing the plist.

Danny
James Steele wrote:FWIW, I was able to launch Unisyn 2.11 in Leopard and send a patch to my DM5 module. I don't have it connected for 2-way communication so I don't know if it would retrieve a sysex dump from it, but sending it worked okay. Perhaps Unisyn isn't broken by Leopard, which would be good because if it were to break, you have to wonder if it would get fixed. :?:
chucks

Post by chucks »

Dolores, CO - one of my favorite spots. Mountain Gravel was a customer of mine in a past incarnation. SW Colorado is one of the best places on the planet.

Are you on PPC or Intel? I've been putting off upgrading to Leopard - maybe wait a little longer - still using a lot of old MIDI gear.
dannsh

Unisyn and my JV-1080

Post by dannsh »

I am on a PPC dual 2.3 ghz with 2GB of ram.

I have an update. I got Unisyn working. I had to deleted all of my prefs I could find and start over. Everything works for the SC-88, but I am having problems rebuilding my expansion boards (A-D) for my JV-1080. I have been unable get load all of the patches. I get just so far and then I get the message that the device is not responding. Everything else on the JV-1080 loaded.

Dolores is great. We just moved from Sacramento, CA last summer. We were told that it only snowed 1 to 2 feet here. Wrong. We have about 3 to 4 feet. Lots of shoveling.
chucks wrote:Dolores, CO - one of my favorite spots. Mountain Gravel was a customer of mine in a past incarnation. SW Colorado is one of the best places on the planet.

Are you on PPC or Intel? I've been putting off upgrading to Leopard - maybe wait a little longer - still using a lot of old MIDI gear.
dannsh

Motu and Unisyn 2.11

Post by dannsh »

Motu says they have no information on whether they are or are going to test Unisyn with Leopard. Although I have got it working on Leopard, I am having trouble getting patches to load for the JV-1080. I got all of the internal patches that you need to load too load. But, I kept get header errors. The Expansion Boards load to a point, then stop with a device not found.

I call support and they would not even talk to be about the problem. They blew it off as a Leopard problem and they do not support Unisyn on Leopard.

I tried to find out if or when they were going to test Unisyn with Leopard and I was told they did not have that information.

I am beginning to think I need to switch over to Logic. Is it just me or is MOTU lacking in information and customer support.

Danny :?:
carrythebanner

Re: Motu and Unisyn 2.11

Post by carrythebanner »

dannsh wrote:Is it just me or is MOTU lacking in information and customer support.
I think it's just Unisyn. I'm surprised they'd blow you off, but Unisyn is all but officially discontinued as far as I can tell – it's been conspicuously absent from compatibility announcements for both Intel and Leopard, and going on 4 years now hasn't seen any updates for any reason. I don't think they ever officially discontinued Mosaic, either, and that's been off the radar for way longer. Methinks they're reluctant to call anything "discontinued" if there's not a comparable replacement offering.

I think you'd find much a more receptive response in regards to DP, MachFive, or anything else remotely current.
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
dannsh

Re: Motu and Unisyn 2.11

Post by dannsh »

Your replay got me to thinking. I have not paid much attention the the latest update and changes the MOTU have been making to DP. Now that I am retired I have more time to catch up. It is amazing what you discover when you read the manual. I had always been using Unisyn for my patch lists. The thought occurred to me, maybe DP has been changed to you don't need Unisyn. On page 179 I found my answer. Use the "Patch list for Expansion Boards" program. Problem solved.

[/quote]I don't think they ever officially discontinued Mosaic, either, and that's been off the radar for way longer. Methinks they're reluctant to call anything "discontinued" if there's not a comparable replacement offering.[/quote]
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Is it just me or is ClockWorks still PPC?

Not sure if I should erase it and wait for an update.
It does seem strange, especially as MOTU's MIDI drivers are supposed to be Leopard compatible. :?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Dave Bourke

Post by Dave Bourke »

Yes, you're right, monkey man, ClockWorks is indeed still PPC. Just did a Get Info and under "Version," it reads "ClockWorks ClockWorks version 1.51." So good they named it twice?

As regards Unisyn 2.01, I trashed it off my machines back in the Panther days because I found it so buggy and unreliable (I keep a Mac OS 9 partition on my G4 to use Unisyn 1.x, among other things).

Here's what it says on MOTU's Unisyn page: "Fully compatible with Mac OS X Version 10.2 or later. Includes full support for Panther."

Cutting edge, eh?

Kind regards.
Dave Bourke
– ideation –

Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66 GHz, 5 Gb, OS X 10.5.8, iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.6.2, Mac G4 dual 800 MHz Quicksilver, DP 7.11, PCIe-424/24i, UAD-2 Quad/UAD-1e, PowerCore Firewire.
carrythebanner

Post by carrythebanner »

Dave Bourke wrote:Here's what it says on MOTU's Unisyn page: "Fully compatible with Mac OS X Version 10.2 or later. Includes full support for Panther."

Cutting edge, eh?
Hah, looks like that page hasn't been touched in a while. Elsewhere they at least say that it's Tiger compatible, though:

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/atnewsite ... 9629827615

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... -with-10-4
"I don't see any method at all, sir."
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Dave, would you still run CW on Leopard?

I seem to recall running it once, about a week before I discovered its PPC status.
A preset was loaded; that's all I did.
It did seem to update my Express XT OK though.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Dave Bourke

Post by Dave Bourke »

Sure I would, no problem, Nicky. However, the new iMac is the only machine I have running Leopard at the moment and it's not going to be a music Mac (it's presently designated for word processing, graphics, and internet duties, although this may change in the future).

Running CW under Rosetta is not a problem since it's really just a software front end for setting and editing your MIDI interface(s).

Kind regards.
Dave Bourke
– ideation –

Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66 GHz, 5 Gb, OS X 10.5.8, iMac 24" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo, OS X 10.6.2, Mac G4 dual 800 MHz Quicksilver, DP 7.11, PCIe-424/24i, UAD-2 Quad/UAD-1e, PowerCore Firewire.