Is Unisyn the only answer to adding your own Patch Names?

Discussion of issues related to MOTU's Sysex Editor/Librarian program.

Moderator: James Steele

lord funk
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is Unisyn the only answer to adding your own Patch Names?

Post by lord funk »

Is there a way to add custom patch names, including banks, for devices that do not have patch lists that come up with OS X's .middev and .midnam files?

My friend has a Kawai K5 that does not have its own .midnam file, and he would like to input the patch names so they appear in Performer. Is there any way to do this without Unisyn?

Thanks
robMartin

Post by robMartin »

You might try CherryPicker: http://www.alterspective.com/cherrypicker. While the download is full and free, this is meant to be 'donation-ware' if it works for you ;)

On DP you can move any of the patches into new 'custom' banks in order to make your own patch collections - (eg: Guitar; Bass, etc)

I'm lousy at documentation, so if you have any problems just let me know
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Is Unisyn the only answer to adding your own Patch Names

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

lord funk wrote:Is there a way to add custom patch names, including banks, for devices that do not have patch lists that come up with OS X's .middev and .midnam files?

My friend has a Kawai K5 that does not have its own .midnam file, and he would like to input the patch names so they appear in Performer. Is there any way to do this without Unisyn?

Thanks
Unisyn sucks (IMO). Cherry Picker requires a bit of work, but not all that much and your patch names are accurate! The only way to go as far as I am concerned.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
misterhemi

Post by misterhemi »

Aha, I just saw this post! It would be nice if MOTU were to update UniSyn or just create a whole new better application/program.....

I may be able to help if someone still needs .midnam files

I posted a thread here:
http://www.unicornation.com/phpBB2/view ... highlight=

I suppose the best thing to do, since this seems to be a more appropriate place, is repost it below:
I know there were other post about these types of files in the past.

I just created a few (however, I only edited the CS6x file) which are working fine in my setup and allow bank switching. In the case of the file for the CS6x I just edited the existing file and now i'm able to access the patches from my PLG-150DX and PLG-150AN boards.

If anyone could use these i'll post the or email them, they're free (of course) but I thought it could be useful to someone else.

You WILL need to use a text editor to edit the program/patch names as the names reflect my SQ80 patches. I was able to save time by copy and pasting some common things.

I may make other files that work with other synths that I have. So far I have mindam files for:

DSI Evolver (should work fine with the Mono Keyboard too)
DSI Poly Evolver Keyboard (should work fine with the Poly Rack too)
Ensoniq SQ80
Kawai K5
Alesis Ion
Yamaha CS6x

I might later try to make ones for the Yamaha DX200, TC Helicon Voice Live, Behringer V-Verb Pro 2496 and Lexicon MX200..... I'm not sure yet... I also have a Roland VariOS with the D-50 card but i'm not sure about that either because the editor (for PPC G3/G4) for it often crashes on my MacBook Pro, rendering it somewhat useless, so I may end up selling it but if I change my mind I may try writing a file for it too.

Oh, I forgot to add you can contact me at MisterHemi (at) yahoo.com
I made another one for the TC Helicon VoiceLive and I think I finished the one I started for the V-Verb Pro 2496 (I forgot, haven't used it lately)...

I may make some other files, as I said above.

I found them useful and i'm offering them for free to anyone that can use them.[/i]
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

V-Verb Pro and Yamaha P-50m module files would be handy...
Just thinking out 'loud. :oops:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
misterhemi

Post by misterhemi »

I think I have the V-Verb Pro file already and can send it to you.

I will see if I can find the MIDI specs for the Yamaha P-50m and create a file.

:) Thinking out loud is fine! You never get anything if you don't ask for it, right? :)

Edited to add:
I found the documentation for the P50-m, it was rather simple so I created a file for it.

I will give that to you also and some instructions.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

misterhemi wrote:I think I have the V-Verb Pro file already and can send it to you..
Yay! Thank you, misterhemi! :D
misterhemi wrote:I will see if I can find the MIDI specs for the Yamaha P-50m and create a file.

:) Thinking out loud is fine! You never get anything if you don't ask for it, right? :)
Too true. I've just never been good at asking - some kind of self-imposed exile, I s'pose. :oops:
misterhemi wrote:Edited to add:
I found the documentation for the P50-m, it was rather simple so I created a file for it.

I will give that to you also and some instructions.
Yay! Thank you again, misterhemi! :D

The P50-m's only got 28 sounds I think, plus a 29th "silent" patch.
My only real beef with the thing is that I haven't been able to get sysex dumps from it, so every time a parameter is changed (like when I select a new layer on my master kbd and it spits out CC data), I have to factory reset the thing and wade through all the presets to turn the FX off.

If, through some stroke of genius, mine or otherwise, I'm able to implement an "all" dump from the thing, I'll obviously be wrapped. :D

I'll email you so you can send the files, misterhemi; thank you again! :D

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
npatton

Post by npatton »

Dwetmaster wrote:You'll find a lot there
http://www.digicake.com/v5/midnam/index.html
Thanks! Can you plug these into Cherry Picker?
n
Mac Pro (Late 2013) (3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB RAM) OS 10.13.6
MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 gigs RAM); OSX10.11.6; DP 10.13; Unisyn 2.1.1; Stylus RMX; MOTU MIDI Express XT; MOTU 828x; Kurzweil PC3 with Kore 64; Roland XV-5050, D-50; Alesis QS7; Yamaha S90ES, TX-216; Hammond XK-3

----------------------------------
FWIW, my own music can be heard at...
http://www.neilpatton.net
http://http://www.pandora.com/neil-patton
Business Site: http://www.pattonmusic.com
Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster »

npatton wrote:
Dwetmaster wrote:You'll find a lot there
http://www.digicake.com/v5/midnam/index.html
Thanks! Can you plug these into Cherry Picker?
n
I believe so
pkhata

Re: Is Unisyn the only answer to adding your own Patch Names?

Post by pkhata »

I used Galaxy a long time ago and contemplated getting Unisyn, but with the newer expandable synths like the XV-5080 (which can have well over 1,000 patches--the excellent SRV-06 Complete Orchestra board has over 449 patches alone!), and of course software synths like Reason, it has never been necessary for me personally to have a actual patch editor. So far, there has always seemed to be the "right patch" on some bank somewhere. What was necessary was something to replace the old Patchlist Manager that was part of FreeMidi. PLM allowed you to create new "devices" and "banks" for new synths you bought, and customize their names so that on DP's convenient patch popups, you could quickly find your favorite patches.

Fortunately, there's CherryPicker, which accomplishes the same thing as Patchlist Manager. However, in my opinion, CherryPicker is not only the successor to PLM, its riff audition feature alone is a significant improvement.