Do's ans Don't's for a Crash free DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
songsmith
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Do's ans Don't's for a Crash free DP

Post by songsmith »

Six or seven crashes in that last two hours as I've been tried to mix some drum recordings. I've got 11 tracks (recorded in a Pro Tools studio). I've imported the tracks and painstakingly loaded each take into a separate "take" track. I'd like to use the "Show Takes" feature to expand the takes and the Comp tool to audition the different versions and assemble a master comp... but DP7 is crashing when I click on a track with the Comp tool. I've lost so much work tonight it's ridiculous.
MOTU DP 7.02
Macbook Pro (2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU / 4 GB RAM)
Internal HD (7200 RPM Hitachi Travelstar 320 GB)
Metric Halo MIO 2882 +DSP (or built-in audio with headphones)
detroitdiesel

data recovery then DP 4.61

Post by detroitdiesel »

Sorry, I seem to be mentally challenged with this new unicornation skin. How to post a "new" topic??? I had a company do a data recovery on a maxtor drive (boooo!!)

They said this:

To open those two .rsc files you'll need to use the same software which was used to create them.
Regretfully, we have no ability to check or open them, as we do not have that software.

Before that I said this..

Hello, I was able to read the list of files no problem. Do I need special software to open the recording files? I am not understanding what I need. The program they were created in is on my computer(s).

Thanks, DD

Anyone have any experience with normal DP files after data recovery now listed as .rsc? I am a recording engineer not a Computer Whiz... The two are merging faster than I can scream.

DD
newrigel

Re: data recovery then DP 4.61

Post by newrigel »

detroitdiesel wrote:Sorry, I seem to be mentally challenged with this new unicornation skin. How to post a "new" topic??? I had a company do a data recovery on a maxtor drive (boooo!!)

They said this:

To open those two .rsc files you'll need to use the same software which was used to create them.
Regretfully, we have no ability to check or open them, as we do not have that software.

Before that I said this..

Hello, I was able to read the list of files no problem. Do I need special software to open the recording files? I am not understanding what I need. The program they were created in is on my computer(s).

Thanks, DD

Anyone have any experience with normal DP files after data recovery now listed as .rsc? I am a recording engineer not a Computer Whiz... The two are merging faster than I can scream.

DD
They probably used a PC utility to get back the files who knows but those are resource files. Just go and buy Data Rescue II... that should get your files back but you have to audition each one because they loose their naming conventions when recovered... which is a pain but you do get them back so. When I archive, I always just render any VI's and freeze all the tracks and save them to another file called "archive'. Then, if something craps on you, you at least know that each track of the song is going to start @ 0 and you just have to find each file. But the best way is to just back up your drives!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
davinci53
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by davinci53 »

I almost never crashed when using DP5 since then I have upgraded to DP7(skipped DP6)
I am still getting many crashes. Can anyone read Crash Logs and HOW do you post them ? THANKS..FV
DP7.24/DP8 * OS 10.6.8 * MAC-PRO * 2x2.66 Ghz * Dual-Core Intel Xeon* 667 Mhz * 2408mk3 (pci 424) *MIDI Express XT *
2 TB main hard drive*-8GB ram- 800 GB (dedicated working drive)
- Ozone 5- SSD-Addictive Drums-GTR Solo--Auto Tune 7- Harmony Efx -Waves Ren Compressor- Waves CLA, Eddie Kramer, Maserati- Ivory Grand Piano 2- I-Drum-Waves L3 ultra-maximizer-bass & vocal rider-Sylenth-Logic Pro used in background for synths & loops-
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Please, Davinci, include your setup in your signature (board User Control Panel) :
Soundcard, Mac, OS, VIs, DP release, other musically related hardware and software...
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
hoisingbreit

/Library/Logs/CrashReporter

Post by hoisingbreit »

I'm late to the Crash Party, but I'm getting back up to speed with DP 7.1, after 2 years away (last version DP 5).

Tons of crashes and processor overloads; all the tips above duly noted. PLAY from East-West is a central processor culprit. Keep purging samples and fiddling with the engine. (1 or 2 level works best for me.)

One helpful thing I found: look at /Library/Logs/CrashReporter. It might give you a clue. I found over two dozen "M-Audio FirmwareLoader" crash reports. At one point I had downloaded the latest M-Audio driver, thinking I needed it to use my portable M-Audio keyboard as an input device (my CME UF8 is fried, but that's a whole other drama. Don't buy 'em.) Anyhow, I found "M-Audio Firmware Loader" in the /Library/StartupItems and threw it away. Far fewer crashes.

MAS sometimes just stops putting sound into the MOTU 828 on playback (all the level meters are active as if there were sound); I'll let the sequencer run (in silence) for a 45-60 seconds and output suddenly kicks back in. Software or hardware? (It's the 1000-year-old original 828.)

I await Apple's imminent 6-core Mac Pro, and I'm beefing up RAM in the meantime.

Tech Support read me the usual stuff (new user account, etc. etc.) and stopped replying to my follow-ups.

Mac Pro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 5GB 667 MHz RAM (Leopard 10.5.8), Bus 1.33
MOTU 828
East-West PLAY Symphonic Gold/Goliath
Kontakt 3, 4, Garritan GPO Aria, MOJO Horns, FirstCall Horns, Garritan JABB
MOTU Mach 5
davinci53

Post by davinci53 »

HI Hoisingbreit - I am crashing way more than normal since I updated to 7.1 from DP5 , I never crashed in DP5.1 ...as I explained in my early threads. I have the "M-AUDIO Oxygen 2" keyboard..do you think that is screwing DP up?? I also get a crash with my 2408-MK3 hardware setup (screenshots below) the software/hardware just decides to stop and prompts me that I do not have enough memory..which is wrong if you read my gear specs. I even crash sitting idol if i take a phone call.. and then there's the sudden quit while either recording or mixing, etc...anything can cause these crashes it seems..

Here are 2 screen shots re: memory---

DP7.24/DP8 * OS 10.6.8 * MAC-PRO * 2x2.66 Ghz * Dual-Core Intel Xeon* 667 Mhz * 2408mk3 (pci 424) *MIDI Express XT *
- Ozone 5- SSD-Addictive Drums-GTR Solo--Auto Tune 7- Harmony Efx -Waves Ren Compressor- Waves CLA, Eddie Kramer, Maserati- Ivory Grand Piano 2- I-Drum-Waves L3 ultra-maximizer-bass & vocal rider-Sylenth-Logic Pro used in background for synths & loops-
hoisingbreit

More discoveries

Post by hoisingbreit »

OK, I'm made some more discoveries.

Are any of you fellow crashers using Mozy Home Backup?

Rip it out and throw it away. I found two dozen crash items just today in the /Library/Logs/Crashreports -- after something like that many Digital Performer crashes. (Digital Performer is not showing up in the Crashreports.) There were also some "mdworker" which I believe is related to Spotlight, which Mozy (and other backup services) use in their nefarious operations.

I may be overly optimistic, but I think after trashing Mozy, I just got a major bump in internet speed, general operation, and one of my network hard drives (which also has sound libraries) has stopped constantly chattering and grinding away at God knows what.

I'll let you know tomorrow if there's a perceptible difference in Performer's stability.

Davinci, regarding your post above -- I'm a babe in the wood and hardly one to dispense advice -- I'm the one who begs for it. But try trashing the M-Audio Firmware thing as I did in my above post, and see if you get an improvement. Check your Crash logs to see if it was implicated. (Can't quite read your error messages.)

Use Activity Monitor (located in /Applications/Utilities) to see how much RAM each program or activity is using. (Mozy used hundreds of MB of RAM, by the way.)

I wonder if running Logic AND Performer is stressing your memory? You've got a lot of audio tracks running -- where are they, all on the system drive? Most people here think they should be spread around other networked drives (or at least on one, not the system drive.)

And how is Logic, by the way?

Now here's a basic question that I'm embarrassed to ask, but I will:

1. I bounced MIDI tracks played by virtual instruments, intending to use the resulting audio in the final mix. The volume fader in the Mixing Board had not the slightest effect on the volume of the resulting audio track (yup, enabled, etc.)... The only thing that would affect the volume was drawing in stuff called "Bite Volume" in the Soundbites window. That's no way to mix. Why won't the Mixing Board fader work on Bounced audio? It works on audio from a Freeze, and audio recorded in real time into a new Audio track.

2. I recorded 4 MIDI tracks into a new Audio track, with the Audio track's input set as Analog1-2, output Analog 1-2 -- and nothing goes into the Audio track. Why not? The only way I could get a recording was to use an input of Bus 1-2 (setting the virtual instruments to output into Bus 1-2) -- and then I can't hear what's being recorded, no way, no how.

I'm probably doing something idiotic, or don't understand something basic, but knock yourselves out. Fill me in.
hoisingbreit

Post by hoisingbreit »

Roughly 20 crashes today. It only happens when I:

1. Save. Poof, gone are the changes. 5 times out of 10.

2. Playback. Poof, the program vanishes. 5 times out of 10.

3. Anytime. Maybe 3 times out of 10.

I've been through the war since 1990, since the early days of Finale 2, Vision, Cue, Vision Studio, then the switch to DP.

I've never experienced anything like this.

I'm getting more RAM on Wednesday, but after 3 weeks of troubleshooting, scouring, fixing, de-bugging, I'll hit MOTU for a refund on the DP 7 upgrade and give this Logic thing a try. I'm not afraid of no learning curve -- an associate uses it and has never experienced anything like what I've been through these three weeks, on a similar set-up, with far more complex work than the baby song I've been doing.

NOTE: PLAY library stopped sending processor spikes after getting rid of Mozy. So that's the good news.

(Tech specs above.)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

hoisingbreit wrote: I'll hit MOTU for a refund on the DP 7 upgrade and give this Logic thing a try.
---
NOTE: PLAY library stopped sending processor spikes after getting rid of Mozy. So that's the good news.
Somewhere in the section on MOTU hardware was a note about problems with the original 828 and an recent audio driver update. Also somewhere above, or maybe another thread was a note about issues with Play. Really hope you can figure out what is wrong with your setup. I'm amazed by how solid and especially how efficient DP 7.1 is on my ancient G5.

But if not, good luck with Logic. I've just abandoned it for good after my third attempt in five years to find a workflow that makes sense and reliable performance. The only use I have for it is to port projects that someone started in Logic, and cannot finish, into DP. Aside from a few gimmicks, I've been unable to find anything Logic does better than DP.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
hoisingbreit

Post by hoisingbreit »

bayswater --

Thanks for the reply. I'll look for the notes about the original 828; it's high time I replaced it anyway, since it's something like 15 years old, and I had suspected it might be contributing to the weird MAS drop-out on playback (15-30 seconds of silence at unpredictable moments.)

Since East-West PLAY has some outstanding libraries, I hope that if there are in fact issues with DP, the two companies get together and resolve them immediately. At the moment, they're playing nicely together, unless PLAY is somehow implicated behind the scenes in the egregious DP crashes. PLAY is indeed a new element in my studio, so I have given it special attention in trouble-shooting.

An associate has rock-solid performance in Logic, and used it on a TV show we did together -- I don't care if it "does anything better than DP," as long as it doesn't vanish from the screen and crash time and time again, making work utterly impossible.

MOTU Tech Support has very limited resources, time, or sense of follow-up. I appreciate the difficulties we all face in using software from multiple companies and expecting them to work together -- but we do, and they must. Does MOTU (or Apple-Logic) issue specs to the sample library companies and virtual plug-in industry to GUARANTEE compatibility? Or is it the Wild Wild West? I suspect the latter.
cowtothesky

Post by cowtothesky »

Most of my crashes have been on startup and I think it is related to Omnisphere loading up. I'm running 6 tracks in Omnisphere and about 40 other tracks through 5 different kontak instances. Omnisphere is 3rd in line on the loadup and when it has finished loading, there appears to be a delay with the next kontakt instance loading and then it crashes. I changed all my Omnisphere patches to a lite version and it crashes much less, but still happens exactly the same way.

Any other crashes I have had were very rare and only when I have a full pallet of sounds loaded up, like 70+ tracks.
Imac Pro 10-core, 64GB Ram, Mac OS (latest), 2TB SSD, Blackmagic Multiport 4TB SSD, DP 10, Motu Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, VSL Instruments, VE Pro, Vienna Suite, Spectrasonics, Project SAM, Spitfire, Kontakt, Korg M3
vonski

Post by vonski »

Hi Guys!

Do you have tips on how to avoid crashes with DP 7.12? Thanks.
20-inch IMac (MA877), 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, Digital Peformer 7.11, MachFive 2, Reason, Ultralite, GPO4, Kontakt 2 Player, Halion Player 3, East West Virtual Instruments, Giovani LE Boys Choir, Alesis QS8.1
davinci53

Post by davinci53 »

I am crashing too .. The update has made some tasks
difficult .. I crash when making edits , tweaking plug ins,
moving to fast for Dp etc.... I have a very powerful MAC
and new interfaces. Everything is updated to the latest
drivers and versions..
so why is DP 7 crashing so much since I updated
When I was working in Dp5 it was flawless ..
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

davinci53 wrote:I am crashing too .. The update has made some tasks
difficult .. I crash when making edits , tweaking plug ins,
moving to fast for Dp etc.... I have a very powerful MAC
and new interfaces. Everything is updated to the latest
drivers and versions..
so why is DP 7 crashing so much since I updated
When I was working in Dp5 it was flawless ..
I don't understand this at all. You guys must have gotten a completely different version of DP 7.12 than I did. It makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!