(SOLVED!) Dragging soundbites very jerky in DP10 S.E.

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
taka
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

(SOLVED!) Dragging soundbites very jerky in DP10 S.E.

Post by taka »

Hello--

I'm finding dragging soundbites in sequence editor really jerky and not smooth.
I've never had this issue pre DP10..

I'm wondering anyone else feels the same?

Thanks, Taka
Last edited by taka on Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
dix

Re: Dragging soundbites very jerky in DP10 Sequence Editor

Post by dix »

No difference here. On larger projects dragging soundbite edges while Audible Mode is engaged can be jerky and slow, but it was the same in DP9 and earlier.

Looks like you have a zippy new MacMini so something else must be going on. Is there video involved? ...if so, are things still jerky if you disable the movie?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Try dragging while holding the cmd key. Better? If so, snap to grid may be on. That’s also a problem in the tracks overview window. Maybe also be related to the new zoom feature (cmd-+ or - ) to enlarge world does and enrage users. Lol
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
taka

Post by taka »

Thank you for the replies :-)

Yes it is more noticeable with projects with video, but the symptom is still there with audio only projects too..

But there is one thing I discovered;

My monitor is Iiyama X3272UHS 4k monitor.
I ran dual monitor setup the other day using an old LG HD monitor as 2nd display via display port of Caldigit TS3 hub.
When I set both monitors' resolution to "default for the LG" (which makes 4k monitor's display ridiculously large), soundbite dragging became super smooth.

Maybe it's something to do with Intel's integrated graphics on i7 not playing well with DP's graphics at higher resolution? (jerkiness remains even when I scale down resolution of the 4k monitor to 1920x1080 in single monitor operation).

I can't see why it should be the case though.. "Soundbite" equivalents in other programs like garageband move smoothly without any sign of lag.

I'll keep investigating :-)

Thanks,Taka**
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Taka, my system suffered from laggy 4k DP GUI response (running DP9.52) until I moved from Sierra to Mojave recently. Under Sierra, I was forced to use an active Display Port to HDMI converter to get 60Hz response from my 4k display, a Samsung TV (running in Gaming Mode to minimize lag.) Under Mojave, my graphics card's HDMI output can directly drive the display (HDMI>HDMI). DP's GUI response is now excellent, a huge improvement over that which I experienced under Sierra.

I am unsure whether the improved response is due to GPU driver improvements or the removal of the active DP>HDMI converter I used under Sierra. Whether you are currently using an adaptor/converter or not, you may want to try changing your monitor connection (HDMI or TB port) to see if that improves things for you.

Sometimes a shot in the dark strikes its target. Good luck! :smash:
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

If you're doing a lot of video with the 2018 Mini, you might need a graphic accelerator. It's fine with DP, Logic, etc for straight audio but pretty stressed out with video. At full res 4K, I get 4 frames/sec on a good day.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

taka wrote:Thank you for the replies :-)

Maybe it's something to do with Intel's integrated graphics on i7 not playing well with DP's graphics at higher resolution? (jerkiness remains even when I scale down resolution of the 4k monitor to 1920x1080 in single monitor operation).

I'll keep investigating :-)

Thanks,Taka**
Have a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66416#p564558
taka

Post by taka »

richhickey wrote:
taka wrote:
Have a look at this:

Oh my god, this is it, I changed the colour profile to one below the default for the monitor (SD-170M-A in my case) and now soundbites move smoothly as should be :-)

Very strange, but it is working now, thank you for the suggestion -!! :-)

Just one basic question;
I don't do any serious visual/colour related work on this computer, but does changing colour profile have any implication in general (non_DP) use?

Thank You-!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

taka wrote:
richhickey wrote:
taka wrote:
Have a look at this:

Oh my god, this is it, I changed the colour profile to one below the default for the monitor (SD-170M-A in my case) and now soundbites move smoothly as should be :-)

Proof of Concept x 2. Nice work gents! :smash:
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: (SOLVED!) Dragging soundbites very jerky in DP10 S.E.

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I went back to the referenced topic and first tried calibrating the display. My test was a redraw of Facebook, which has been very slow on Safari. I only change the white point a tiny bit. FB was slower. Much slower. Then I changed the profile to Apple RGB (I was using Cinema HD). Now Safari draws screens instantly. What the heck? Thanks, kids. (ps - I'm on a 30" Apple Cinema display on my main monitor).

Cool stuff!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Re: (SOLVED!) Dragging soundbites very jerky in DP10 S.E.

Post by Phil O »

Wow, I had no idea. Good thread!
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
richhickey

Post by richhickey »

taka wrote:
richhickey wrote:
taka wrote:
Have a look at this:

Just one basic question;
I don't do any serious visual/colour related work on this computer, but does changing colour profile have any implication in general (non_DP) use?

Thank You-!
If you don't do any serious color work you should not care, as long as the profile you select looks good to you. The problem profiles are 10-bit per R/G/B and apparently have quite a bit more overhead than the more common 8-bit-per R/G/B. This has solved so many redraw/stutter problems in audio apps for me it isn't funny. Glad it worked for you too!
taka

Post by taka »

Thank You -!
Yes colours seem fine to me after the profile change, so I will stick with this. :-)