DP 9.5 consistent crashing, ARG

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mtwo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.5 consistent crashing, ARG

Post by mtwo »

So this has cropped up and then seemed to disappear a few times. With a project that I have been working in for a few days I have a situation where DP is now crashing whenever it receives MIDI input while running. Both when I attempt to record a MIDI event or note or if it's playing back and I attempt to play along on a MIDI channel. If transport is paused I can play via MIDI and it doesn't crash.

I have trashed the prefs; tried loading the sequence into a new project; restarted the MIDI express XT interface; and reset the interface in MIDI setup. I believe I have all software up to date.

Sequence contains a few instances of Kontakt, Vienna with about 12 instruments, Ivory piano, Battery, Padshop - 2 instances, A few audio tracks with no audio in them [yet]. Some with some WAVES plugs, and a few with Guitar Rig5. And maybe one with TH3 amp simulator.

Sequence plays back as advertised so long as I do NOT play a note.

MAC 6 core tower 10.10.5
DP 9.5 - lastest greatest
Yamaha MX8 controller
MOTU express XT interface

Thoughts? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

thanks Motunation!
FMiguelez

Re: DP 9.5 consistent crashing, ARG

Post by FMiguelez »

What buffer size are you using?

Next time it crashes, try opening OSX's console for clues of what is making DP crash. You might find the culprit right there if it registers.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mtwo

Post by mtwo »

Thanks FMiguelez . Current buffer size is 512. Longer makes for lagging MIDI responsiveness. Shorter better when cutting audio of course.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

If you haven’t done so, I’d reinstall DP as well. You might also try connecting your controller to a different port and trying different controllers. Maybe a problem in a voltage level or something coming in via the MIDI signal.

What happens if you are running and enter notes manually in the MIDI editor. A shortcut to do that is to hold down the “p” key for the pencil tool (or double tap to make it stick). Does DP allow you to enter notes that way during playback?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mtwo

Post by mtwo »

Thanks MIDI Life I haven't tried those solutions. Will investigate those ideas. Today it's have been working without it flipping out,[?] so crossing fingers trying to get some cues done.

thanks!
tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

HI this is a response I received from tech support. My issue is DP Crashing as soon as I instantiate a VEP 'Instrument' in DP.
"Sorry to hear that you're having this problem. We have not yet announced compatibility between VEP6, DP, and OS 10.13 because there is an incompatibility with this combination. We believe it to be a bug in Apple's OS, as the problem is gone in the beta version of OS 10.13.4.

We believe they fixed it, but are unsure if they will be including the fix in their final OS update candidate. (Currently it's only in beta).

I will alert you when full support and compatibility is announced. In the meantime, I appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
Brendan - MOTU"
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.
tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

SOLVED: I updated to OS 10.13.4 and so far VEPro is working well. DP no longer crashing when opening VEP plug-in. :D
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.