MIDI Issue with VPROM VST Plug-In [RESOLVED]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rp88.2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MIDI Issue with VPROM VST Plug-In [RESOLVED]

Post by rp88.2 »

I am having an issue with VPROM which is a Linn Drum Emulator instrument as a VST under DP 9.51.

It works fine as an AU under DP 9.51 (and Logic Pro X 10.3/10.4) and as a VST under Reason 9.5/10.

Under DP 9.51, if I create an instrument track and MIDI track if I hit any keys and release on the plug-in, it starts rapidly playing the notes as if the MIDI is echoing in a loop.

If I press the keys on DP's MIDI keyboard, the same thing happens - rapidly playing notes as if in a loop.

If I disable MIDI Echo in preferences, the VST works as expected when I press a key - one sound is triggered and no 'rapidly looping'. I can edit MIDI, etc. and the VST plays.

However, I cannot get MIDI keys to work with MIDI Echo disabled.

As mentioned above, the plug-in works as expected as an AU with DP 9.51 and Reason as a VST -- press keys on the interface it only plays the sound; it doesn't act like its looping rapidly and the internal DAW keyboards work and trigger the sounds.

If I disable MIDI Echo it disables for the whole project and then MIDI keys does't work for other synths.

Any idea what I need to do to get MIDI Keys to work? Options to set/disable?
Last edited by rp88.2 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
rp88.2

Re: MIDI Issue with VPROM VST Plug-In

Post by rp88.2 »

So, I believe I solved the issue using it as a VST.

The VPROM VST outputs MIDI from its pads and/or MIDI Keys. I assume the outputs are being echoed back into the VPROM, so we get an endless loop.

For some reason, when using the AU version with DP 9.51 or Logic Pro X it understands this and prevents the endless loop.

How I solved it -- and it actually makes sense.
1) Enable Multi Record under Studio
2) MIDI Keys output to VPROMM

Now there is no 'endless' loop. Nice when it makes sense. :D

Prior to enabling Multi Record, the MIDI track was taking ANY input and sending to VPROM; VPROM was outputting the MIDI and it was then comping back creating an endless loop.

Hope this helps.

Rich
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: MIDI Issue with VPROM VST Plug-In [SOLVED]

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Youmight want to report this to MOTU. In the initial release of DP 9 (or it might have been 8) certain VST plug in wouldn't work and crashed DP. They fixed it fast (thank you, MOTU!) but perhaps there is some underlying issue that got fixed so well for your plugin that the non-VST version works and others - not so much.

Just a friendly suggestion. I couldn't find an immediate link to report that. Sorry.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rp88.2

Re: MIDI Issue with VPROM VST Plug-In [RESOLVED]

Post by rp88.2 »

Good morning:

According to MOTU support and what I've seen on the Logic Pro X boards with AUs, the behavior is correct with the AU acting one way and the VST another.

1) VSTs support direct MIDI out; hence the MIDI is active in DP and needs to go to the correct place. This explains why I was initially getting a MIDI feedback loop.

2) Multi Record (enabled) gives finer granular control over MIDI routing as opposed to all MIDI being routed to the active/record enabled MIDI track.

3) AUs don't support direct MIDI out as instruments. There are some tricks that can be done by setting them up as MIDI effects (if coded that way), etc. However, the default coding and way it works on Logic Pro X and DP is consistent for AUs.

So, using Multi Record was the correct way to handle this plug-in since it sends direct MIDI out. The routing makes sense to me now and I have additional flexibility in the DP environment using the VST. 8)

Hope this is helpful to the community.

Rich
rp88.2

Re: MIDI Issue with VPROM VST Plug-In [RESOLVED]

Post by rp88.2 »

Topic "status" updated to Resolved - see detailed description in above edited post. :D