Default Project Location

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Asensory
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Default Project Location

Post by Asensory »

Looked in what I thought were all the obvious places, but cannot find a project I was working on a while back. Its not present in the project box that displays on launch. Where does DP 9 save projects by default? Lately I have been directing all my projects to a different drive than what DP is installed on, but the project I can't find was just saved without saving-as ... and now I cannot find it.

The manual doesn't seem to say where DP files goto if you do NOT stipulate a location when saving-as, or saving a copy, etc.

Seems like moronic question, but this should be obvious and its, apparently, not.
cuttime

Re: Default Project Location

Post by cuttime »

Try looking in your User> documents Folder. This won't answer your question, but this little application has been a lifesaver for me for many years. It finds things that Spotlight never even met.
http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I don't think there's a default project location... Save and Save as remember the last used locations, even from different disks.
I've never heard of anyone not saving DP sessions in a dedicated audio drive, especially HDs.

But this doesn't sound to me like something Spotlight could not easily find with a quick search... By mod date, file extension/type, etc.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I think it was usually the Documents folder, and in a folder names untitled if a name was not provided. But I noticed recently, projects showing up in the Music folder in a DP folder. Maybe there was a change with 9.5.

Anyway, I think there should be a preference to specify the default location for new projects. Doesn't just about everyone here have a projects drive? Makes no sense we have to specify it every time.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote:Doesn't just about everyone here have a projects drive? Makes no sense we have to specify it every time.
I work from a Template that is simply a Project on my Working Project Drive. First thing up: Save As in a new folder on that drive. With this approach, there is never a question where my projects reside.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:
bayswater wrote:Doesn't just about everyone here have a projects drive? Makes no sense we have to specify it every time.
I work from a Template that is simply a Project on my Working Project Drive. First thing up: Save As in a new folder on that drive. With this approach, there is never a question where my projects reside.
Yes, I usually do that too, and used to use Stationary to avoid accidentally overwriting the template. But still, it would be better to get a default.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I just tried creating a new project from scratch, and the default location is Documents.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:
Yes, I usually do that too, and used to use Stationary to avoid accidentally overwriting the template. But still, it would be better to get a default.
Same here.

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote:I just tried creating a new project from scratch, and the default location is Documents.
That is the default.

If you don't specify a different location, that is where you will find them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Asensory

Post by Asensory »

I managed to find it ... wasn't easy. I don't just save without naming the project, but I sometimes don't pay attention to where it goes if its just a quick tutorial session or something that hasn't graduated to "project" level yet. This was one of those times ... I now do save all projects to the same place.

So, Documents .. will keep that in mind, and look at that app that find things.

Thanks!