issues importing Session files into chunks

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Dingbass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

issues importing Session files into chunks

Post by Dingbass »

Hey, I’m new to DP, in fact I am currently using the demo version to see if it can do what I need. I am actually a long time Cubase user. I would like to use it to run live tracks for a band. I have seen the videos and such on how to use chunks and it looks promising.

My issue:
I am able to drag and drop MIDI files into projects with no problems
When I drag DP session files with audio files in it brings in the soundbites but it doesn’t place them in them in a sequence or create a new sequence with the session name. I have to manually pull the soundbites into a new sequence, which is pretty cumbersome.

I realize this is probably just some newbie thing but any help would be great thanks
Dingbass

Re: issues importing Session files into chunks

Post by Dingbass »

I'm just wondering if i'm saving something wrong in the initial file? I can't seem to figure this out.
FMiguelez

Re: issues importing Session files into chunks

Post by FMiguelez »

Welcome to MOTUNation, Dingbats!

How and where are you dropping your audio files?
You can use the Track Overview window for this. Notice that there is a difference on where you drop the files. You can drop them in the left side area, or in the right, the timeline. Each will give you a different result.

If you want to import a bunch of (dragged from the desktop) audio files, and have DP automatically place them on new audio tracks, grab them all from your source and drop them in the left side of the TO.

You should also check and set your preference of how the audio files are imported into DP....
Are they copied from the source? Or are they being only referenced? I recommend the former. That way you're working with copies, not original audio files, and they're all contained within the DP project.

Note that your audio files will be imported with the bit depth and sample rate you see in your transport window. Change accordingly if needed before importing. You can also set your preferences about what you want DP to do if the bit depth, SR and stereo format of the files don't match your current DP settings. Should it leave them alone? Should it convert them to your current DP settings? (you can combine different bit depths in the same session).
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman