DP8: Asking to re-activate and giving a "disk is full" (-34)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
schmargle
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by schmargle »

Hi there.

I've had DP8 for several years. Just recently, it started asking me to re-activate every time I opened it. So, I've been re-activating. Then today, I opened a new project and tried to drag some audio in from another folder and got a "disk is full" (-34) error.

Looking through the forums a bit, I saw a recommendation to delete the Users/Shared/Library/Application Support/MOTU folder. So I did that. No change.

Then I re-downloaded the DP8 installer and tried to re-install. Again it asks me to activate and still gives me the disk is full error (it's not, by the way).

Any thoughts? The only thing I can think of is that something screwed up when I upgraded to High Sierra a few weeks ago.

Are there any preference files that I can delete or something?

Thanks.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8: Asking to re-activate and giving a "disk is full" (

Post by mikehalloran »

The license server requires logging in every time you reboot. This was fixed with DP 9.51, the first version compatible with High Sierra. DP 8 is supported through Yosemite.

Your disk is full error is unrelated. No idea what that’s about unless you are saving or installing to anything other than your boot partition. It may be possible that the DP8 installer is incompatible with OS 10.13—I don’t know as the version I tested was already installed before I upgraded the OS.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

Thanks for the reply.

So wait, other people have had to re-activate the software every single time they launch it with High Sierra? I didn't see that here on the forums, but maybe I didn't look in the right place. That's awful.

<Added edit:> Oh yeah, now I see that issue on another string. How bizarre. I would have thought that more people would be up in arms about that, but maybe DP8 users just aren't updating their OS. If DP8 is truly incompatible with High Sierra then this is the ONLY piece of software on my machine that is so far.

The disk is full error started happening before I reinstalled the software...I think. Now I can't remember. But it basically means that I can no longer use DP (even though I was using it fine even with the pesky need to reactivate) because I can no longer bring audio into a session, I guess unless I record it, which isn't always how I work.

I can't imagine what the heck happened. No disks have changed, no nothing.

If you have any other thoughts (or if anyone else does), I'm all ears. I really do not want to shell out $195 just to get something to keep working.
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

Okay, temporarily fixed the "disk is full" (-34) error by finding something similar in another thread.

I dragged the file into the Audio Files folder of this DP project. Then from there dragged it into the DP project. Odd, but it worked.

And for some reason, this time I opened up DP and it didn't demand that I put in my activation code. Head scratcher.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

schmargle wrote:...And for some reason, this time I opened up DP and it didn't demand that I put in my activation code. Head scratcher.
What do you mean? I already addressed that.
The license server requires logging in every time you reboot.
I can’t explain it any clearer.
If DP8 is truly incompatible with High Sierra then this is the ONLY piece of software on my machine that is so far.
I didn’t say 8 doesn’t work. It’s not supported—hasn’t been in three versions of the Mac OS.

Again, 9.51 is the first (and so far only) version that is fully compatible with 10.13 including the MOTU license server.

Some users still had old apps such as DP 7.24 and Finale 2011 on their Macs. Those are two of many apps that no longer work in High Sierra (F-2011) or APFS (7.24). If you read through the threads, you’ll discover that some plug-ins are not yet compatible.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Macintosh2017

Post by Macintosh2017 »

schmargle wrote:Thanks for the reply.

So wait, other people have had to re-activate the software every single time they launch it with High Sierra? I didn't see that here on the forums, but maybe I didn't look in the right place. That's awful.

<Added edit:> Oh yeah, now I see that issue on another string. How bizarre. I would have thought that more people would be up in arms about that, but maybe DP8 users just aren't updating their OS. If DP8 is truly incompatible with High Sierra then this is the ONLY piece of software on my machine that is so far.

The disk is full error started happening before I reinstalled the software...I think. Now I can't remember. But it basically means that I can no longer use DP (even though I was using it fine even with the pesky need to reactivate) because I can no longer bring audio into a session, I guess unless I record it, which isn't always how I work.

I can't imagine what the heck happened. No disks have changed, no nothing.

If you have any other thoughts (or if anyone else does), I'm all ears. I really do not want to shell out $195 just to get something to keep working.
I never jump into new OS’s till things get ironed out... HS is still in its early stages and too much has changed in it to be an “easy” update considering the new storage format and the external GPU’s etc.
Macintosh2017

Post by Macintosh2017 »

schmargle wrote:Okay, temporarily fixed the "disk is full" (-34) error by finding something similar in another thread.

I dragged the file into the Audio Files folder of this DP project. Then from there dragged it into the DP project. Odd, but it worked
That’s where it’s supposed to go. You have to import the file first before importing to the timeline because a conversion is taking place... it’s dependent upon the projects settings for automatic conversion to take place.
It’s better to import a file from inside DP so DP can make a converted file to match the properties of the project and DP will put that in the audio files folder automatically for drag and drop to the timeline.
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

Thanks for the replies.

mikehalloran: For me, the activation request is not related to rebooting. I rarely reboot, and the activation request was happening every single time I launched DP. I could quit DP, and open it right back up and have the activation request again. That was the issue. At the moment, it's not doing that. It's possible that it will now request it once I reboot—I'll have to test it later. <Edit: Yes, now it's asking for re-authorization after a reboot as you said.>

I do understand the difference between not supported and not compatible. But for a few hours yesterday, I couldn't even get DP to operate outside of demo mode—I had the activation button grayed out when I tried to put in my code (figured that one out), then I couldn't get audio into a session without recording it. To me that qualifies as not compatible. But at the moment, I just have to figure out how to avoid these workarounds so I can get back to my regular workflow.

Macintosh2017: Having to drag files into the Audio Files folder before dragging them into the session is not how I've done it in the past. I've always been able to drag files into the timeline from the desktop or other folders and have DP manage the conversions and copy the converted file into the Audio Files folder.

And actually, at the moment, I'm able to drag in some files directly into the session without the error message. For example, I tried to drag in an m4a file, and there was no problem. When I tried an interleaved WAV file, I get the error. The DP preferences are set to work with WAV files, so I wonder if there's something going on with file sizes. I'll have to experiment.

Yes, I usually wait quite a while before upgrading my OS. But I use the same computer for non-audio work and had to upgrade. I'm actually amazed that everything else works. I have had zero plug-in problems and not a single problem (so far) with any other application, audio or otherwise. That's why I'm particularly surprised (and a bit miffed) that DP is having issues.

I might have to upgrade to DP9, but there are a few reasons I don't want to:
(1) It's late in the DP9 cycle. I don't want to upgrade now and then see that DP10 comes out and I can't be grandfathered in.
(2) There's nothing in DP9 that I want or need—no new feature or capability. That's why I didn't upgrade in the past. So at this point I'd just be paying for compatibility.
(3) I want to make sure the issues I'm having really have to do with DP. I don't want to upgrade and have the same issue, just to find later that there was some preference file somewhere that could have been deleted. That sort of thing has happened to me way too much.

Anyway, thank you both. I'll let everyone know if I figure anything else out.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I don't want to upgrade and have the same issue, just to find later that there was some preference file somewhere that could have been deleted. That sort of thing has happened to me way too much.
Many threads on this site and on the Facebook page as well as MOTU’s announcement stating the issue. Besides, when you upgrade, you’ll have tech support again.
I don't want to upgrade now and then see that DP10 comes out and I can't be grandfathered i
Wait a few days. MOTU has always announced at Winter NAMM. If it’s coming out this year, the announcement should be on Thursday. Once announced, they have always grandfathered those who purchase from that date—you’ll want to call and confirm, of course.
...I’m miffed...
It’s probably a good idea to get over that.
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

Update on the "disk is full" (-34) error. The problem is only with .wav files. The .m4a and .aif files can be dragged in fine.

It looks like something similar was an issue in the past:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51116

So I'm thinking the issue might have to do with the change in the file system with High Sierra to APFS. But because I can copy .wav files into the Audio Files folder of a DP project, it seems more like there's something going on with DP's ability to read certain types of files (wav) outside of its own project folders.

I've now tried toggling the various Automatic Conversions settings in DP preferences. When I turn off "Always copy imported audio to project audio folder," I can import the audio into the project, but obviously the file stays where it was.

So, to summarize, this issue is that I can't drag .wav files into a session and have them successfully copy into the Audio Files folder. I'm still betting it something to do with DP8's interaction with the new file system. But it's odd that the issue is limited to .wav files. Maybe there's part of the file that says how large it is? And maybe that info is in a different place in an .aif compared with a .wav file?

Just guessing at this point. At least I have a few workarounds.
Last edited by schmargle on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macintosh2017

Post by Macintosh2017 »

I’ve always “imported” files into DP from the audio files drop down and never just dragged anything onto the timeline from the finder. Everyone is different but I’ve never had any issues importing anything ever so go figure...
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

And lastly, yes, it seems like the copying wav files/disk is full issue is solved with DP 9.51—I just downloaded the demo.

Sigh.

I'll see if there's a new version on the horizon and then make a decision about upgrading.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Do the wave files you're having a problem with have a file extension of ".wav" or ".WAV"? I recall some issues with the file extension being in CAPS. Try renaming the wave files with the file extension in lower case.

Also, kinda hard for me to blame MOTU if they didn't plan their disk authorization around an OS Apple wouldn't release till years after DP8 was released.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Also, kinda hard for me to blame MOTU if they didn't plan their disk authorization around an OS Apple wouldn't release till years after DP8 was released.
I had to pass on that one, too. :rofl:
schmargle

Post by schmargle »

The capitalization thing is interesting, but no, they are lower-case ".wav" files. I just now tried changing a few files to ".WAV," but no luck.

I work in the technology industry, so I understand how tough it is for software developers who have to try to keep up with changing operating systems. And I understand that developers need to get paid. MOTU could offer a fix for previous DP versions, but I know they're under no obligation to do so, and since they're a small company and it would be costly for them, it's not going to happen. It's fine. It's just frustrating to be forced into an upgrade.

Something similar happened to me last month. I wanted a Waves plug-in, saw it was on sale, so I bought it. After I paid and downloaded it, I got a note that said, by the way, you're running a previous version of our platform, so installing this will wipe out all of your Waves plug-ins. ...But you could always just renew your lapsed subscriptions. So a $50 plug-in purchase turned into a $300+ update. No new features, just the privilege of continuing to use the plug-ins. I paid.

Anyway, I'm not on here to complain—I was just trying to see if anyone else had figured out a fix for these issues, make sure an upgrade was truly required, and share what I've figured out. Thanks all for your suggestions.