Hackintosh

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Hackintosh

Post by HCMarkus »

Macintosh2017 wrote:You can put a PCIE SSD RAID on an old cheese grater and get speeds @ 980-1000 MBps at a pretty good price these days though... not 2000 but you can find these cards cheaper as time goes on... 980 MBps isn’t too bad really and the NVME’s are mainly for an OS and I wouldn’t recommend putting my projects on a system drive anyway.
I’m noticing really low prices on the CMP upgrades... still a lot of life left in those old cheese graters!
You are preaching to the choir amigo!

Like MIke Canavan with his 3.33 12 core (which is a faster cheese grater than Apple ever produced), many here at MOTUNation have performed the 4,1>5,1 hack ourselves. You can build a hex 5,1 now for not much more than $400 plus RAM and Storage. And though PCIe storage is sweet, the more cost-effective SATA SSDs provide plenty of speed for audio work.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Macintosh2017

Hackintosh

Post by Macintosh2017 »

HCMarkus wrote:
Macintosh2017 wrote:You can put a PCIE SSD RAID on an old cheese grater and get speeds @ 980-1000 MBps at a pretty good price these days though... not 2000 but you can find these cards cheaper as time goes on... 980 MBps isn’t too bad really and the NVME’s are mainly for an OS and I wouldn’t recommend putting my projects on a system drive anyway.
I’m noticing really low prices on the CMP upgrades... still a lot of life left in those old cheese graters!
You are preaching to the choir amigo!

Like MIke Canavan with his 3.33 12 core (which is a faster cheese grater than Apple ever produced), many here at MOTUNation have performed the 4,1>5,1 hack ourselves. You can build a hex 5,1 now for not much more than $400 plus RAM and Storage. And though PCIe storage is sweet, the more cost-effective SATA SSDs provide plenty of speed for audio work.
I see 8 Core cMP all over for $300 all the time and I know all about the upgrades, compadre! Just saying that you may not get 2K MBps speeds but who’s going to store their projects on a startup volume anyway?
Why does that speed matter? To run OS and applications yes... but most benefits for audio are going to come from the speed of where your project folders are stored and yes, an SSD on the SATA bus
is very adequate indeed... even though there ARE SSD’s that can saturate a SATA 3 bus... so I was just stating if higher speeds were required, you can go that route.
Was just comparing price to performance.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Unless it's a smoking' deal, an 8 core for $300 is gonna' be a 3,1. Although OS hacks are available, I would recommend 4,1 (which can be updated to 5,1) or 5,1 to gain a few more years in OS support and significantly better performance thanks to faster CPUs.

This is a great resource for those interested: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ma ... t.1954766/
Macintosh2017

Post by Macintosh2017 »

HCMarkus wrote:Unless it's a smoking' deal, an 8 core for $300 is gonna' be a 3,1. Although OS hacks are available, I would recommend 4,1 (which can be updated to 5,1) or 5,1 to gain a few more years in OS support and significantly better performance thanks to faster CPUs.

This is a great resource for those interested: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ma ... t.1954766/
It’s just a firmware update.
You can get processor trays for dead cheap too! Just have to do IHS removal (and I’ve done many) and get some 5860’s and away you go!!!!
The stuff is just as cheap as building a crapintosh actually... and you don’t have the stability issues.