HF distortion with two DP9.51 stock plugins... [RESOLVED]

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

HF distortion with two DP9.51 stock plugins... [RESOLVED]

Post by FMiguelez »

I've been working all day. Everything's been very stable and better than before, except for a problem I noticed that is preventing me from using 2 DP plugins. These are> MegaSynth and the MW FET-76 compressor.

The worst is MegaSynth. I place it under a pad track, just to try to animate it. If I do something as simple as modulating the amp gain with an LFO at say, one measure period, it makes it have this horrible distortion as if there were some kind of stair steps that make it crackle. Modulating the amp gain knob manually, with the mouse, sounds perfect and smooth, as it should be with the LFO, but it isn't the case, for some strange reason.
This makes it unusable.

The MW FET-76 seems to introduce an abnormal amount of noise, and a ghost signal sort of "lingers" in the busses. I know this because I have a pattern gate, and I can hear high frequency noise with the rhythm of the pattern gate! The moment I bypass the FET-76, the noise stops. Even if I disable the track and enable it again, the rhythmic nose persists if un-bypassed.
I know I'm abusing it really hard, mostly for its tone, but the noise is very HF and too obvious. The weird thing is how the signal lingers and produces the rhythmic noise. Also, the noise stops the moment hit play. But when I stop, I keep hearing it and it's driving me crazy.

Can anyone reproduce any of these 2 problems?

If not, any ideas as to what may be causing it or how to fix it?

Thanks!
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Re: HF distortion with two DP9.51 stock plugins...

Post by HCMarkus »

Have you tried running these plugs in Real Time?
FMiguelez

Re: HF distortion with two DP9.51 stock plugins... [RELOVED]

Post by FMiguelez »

Hmmmm.... After hours of wasted time, I did trace the problem> The problem is... my brain :shake:

I was doing some tests, and I had a lot of compressors in the audio track. The FET was in the "off mode" with the zero attack, and LOTS of gain. So this compressor and some others, including the Saturation Knob, were adding LOTS of gain to the ADAT input from my mixer that is fed from my JV-2080. So whatever noise there was there, it was being amplified a million times. This was a new one, since I never heard noise from the digital mixer. This (normally un-perceivable) noise seems to be produced since I updated the audio driver yesterday afternoon. I didn't hear it until I used the FET, which had LOTS of output gain. So I switched back to the old driver, and the noise is gone.

Back where I started...

Hours of time wasted for nothing. Way to beat my deadline. Way to be inspired :shake:
Last edited by FMiguelez on Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
FMiguelez

Re: HF distortion with two DP9.51 stock plugins... [RESOLVED

Post by FMiguelez »

Oh, everything was being exacerbated with my tests... the rhythmic gated noise, MegaSynth... This synth works fine. After I corrected the issue, modulation is smooth as silk, as expected.

I would replace my brain if I could. Seems to be time to do it :smash:

bayswater

Re: HF distortion with two DP9.51 stock plugins... [RESOLVED

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:I would replace my brain if I could. Seems to be time to do it :smash:
I made the mistake of waiting for the no-brainer sale.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8