The Robb Report January '18

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Robb Scott
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

The Robb Report January '18

Post by Robb Scott »

OK, first one of the new year. AS you may be sick to death of reading, I keep a text file open while I work in DP, jotting down ruminations, commentary, rude body noises, etc. Not responsible for errors in spelling, grammar, facts, judgement, or anything I probably could've looked up in the manual if I wasn't just damned lazy. I used to to send these direct to MOTU, but now I post 'em here where they're easier to ignore and/or laugh at.

DP 9.95174.... (I think these numbers go on ad infinitum, like Pi...).
OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
2009 Mac Pro 8-core 16g RAM (which won't run Sierra. Ahh, me....)...
---------------
---------------

I’d like a button on the Trim Plug that, when pressed, would reverse the panning and levels settings. I often find myself spreading out 2 stereo tracks, applying trim on one, copying it, and reversing the params on the copy. A button would be useful...

Ya know what I wanna do? I draw a Spline to insert some MIDI data. DP shows me a, ummm, spurlmoydifrew (I don’t know wtf it’s called), a line that can be shaped with handles at each end and the middle. I then click away from the insert to “print” the data to the track. I’d like to press Play before printing, while the reshape line is still up, and hear what the curve will sound like, reshape to taste, then print it.

Every time I select a VI and its MIDI track, and hit “Freeze Tracks”, I should get a dialog, asking me if I want to target the last Freeze track (if applicable), or make a new track, and whether I want it in the current folder or some other folder, or a new folder. Defaults should be “Use Last Track” and/or “Current Folder”, but dammit, I want the choice...

You know, if DP has finished examining ALL the Audio Units, and No Problems Were Found, I think you guys can just kinda go ahead and open the Project or whatever without waiting for me to return from the can expecting 87 VIs to be open already, but they’re not open ‘cause I have to hit the OK button even though all the AUs have passed with no problems. So if we could just kinda, you know, work on that...

This thing where keyboard shortcuts for Control Panel functions - Rewind, Move Start Point, etc., don’t work when a third party plugin is the forward window? It’s REALLY. STARTING. TO ANNOY. ME...

The Effects Performance tool is really helping keep those processor cycles under some control...another good idea, and thanks MOTU...

Every Audio Editor in the known universe, when you hit the key to place a Marker, it immediately Hilights the mark’s name field, sometimes lets you edit the location either by editing or mousing along the timeline, then easily returns you to editing mode.

[John Belushi Voice] BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........

Another Track Folder Management thing: I had a need today to copy an entire folder (w/subfolders, and w/VIs & plugs) in one Sequence and paste it into another. Just sayin’. It would’ve been useful...

I’d like to right-click on a note in the MIDI Editor, and change the track color from that menu.

So I open an old project. Naturally, I get the old “The following effects could not be found” message. Not a problem, you kinda expect that opening an old project. However...could there be a function from this dialog box that might find the missing effects? If they’re available? Maybe Possible to bring up the “Plug-in” page from prefs...

I’ve asked for this one before, and I keep mentioning it because a) I’m a monstrous pain in in the ass, and b) It’s still a good idea: In the edit windows, particularly MIDI edit, I’d like a key combo that temporarily bypasses whatever resolution snap-to-grid is set at, and sets it to 1 measure.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
The One True Robb
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
davidh

Re: The Robb Report January '18

Post by davidh »

Robb Scott wrote: Every time I select a VI and its MIDI track, and hit “Freeze Tracks”, I should get a dialog, asking me if I want to target the last Freeze track (if applicable), or make a new track, and whether I want it in the current folder or some other folder, or a new folder. Defaults should be “Use Last Track” and/or “Current Folder”, but dammit, I want the choice...
+1
This really drives me nuts and I use freeze all the time
Robb Scott wrote: Every Audio Editor in the known universe, when you hit the key to place a Marker, it immediately Hilights the mark’s name field, sometimes lets you edit the location either by editing or mousing along the timeline, then easily returns you to editing mode.
[John Belushi Voice] BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........
+1
Robb Scott wrote: Another Track Folder Management thing: I had a need today to copy an entire folder (w/subfolders, and w/VIs & plugs) in one Sequence and paste it into another. Just sayin’. It would’ve been useful...
+1
Additionally, after making a clipping of a folder and it's content tracks/VI's, if you drag the clipping back into a sequence, the folder and it's tracks/VI's are imported into the sequence but the tracks/VI's are no longer in their folder - the folder is empty :roll:
Robb Scott wrote: I’ve asked for this one before, and I keep mentioning it because a) I’m a monstrous pain in in the ass, and b) It’s still a good idea: In the edit windows, particularly MIDI edit, I’d like a key combo that temporarily bypasses whatever resolution snap-to-grid is set at, and sets it to 1 measure.
+1
Just temporary bypass would be OK for me
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 2 x 2.66 Quad Core, 28GB, 10.11.6 || MacBook Pro 2.7 Intel Core i7 Retina, 16GB, 10.11.6 || MOTU 2408 Mk3, 828 Mk 2, MTP AV || DP 9.51 & 9.13, Mach 5 v3, MSI, Ethno2, MX4, VEPro6, all Spectrasonics, Kontakt ... and many of the other usual suspects.
http://www.thekeyboard.co.uk
Tritonemusic

Post by Tritonemusic »

davidh wrote:Just temporary bypass would be OK for me
If you mean just temporarily bypassing snap-to-grid, that can be achieved by holding down the Command key.
DP 10.13, OS 13.6, iMac Pro (2017) 3.2 GHz 8-Core, 32 GB RAM, MOTU M4
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Robb Scott wrote:
I’d like a button on the Trim Plug that, when pressed, would reverse the panning and levels settings....
You could create some presets in the Trim plug. You could also maybe use the clippings window to put one of each trim plugin in the clippings? I'm spit-balling here.
Robb Scott wrote: I’d like to press Play before printing, while the reshape line is still up, and hear what the curve will sound like, reshape to taste, then print it.
Kind of an audition while the handles are still available? Yes.
Robb Scott wrote: You know, if DP has finished examining ALL the Audio Units, and No Problems Were Found, I think you guys can just kinda go ahead and open the Project or whatever without waiting for me to return...
I don't like this idea. I will want to know that some process was done and what the result was. And I want to be able to go to the can but still get the report.
Robb Scott wrote: So I open an old project. Naturally, I get the old “The following effects could not be found” message. Not a problem, you kinda expect that opening an old project. However...could there be a function from this dialog box that might find the missing effects? If they’re available? Maybe Possible to bring up the “Plug-in” page from prefs...
Or perhaps, give the option right there to choose a replacement plugin-- so it's already inserted in all the places.
Robb Scott wrote: ... In the edit windows, particularly MIDI edit, I’d like a key combo that temporarily bypasses whatever resolution snap-to-grid is set at, and sets it to 1 measure.
That is a really good idea. You can have the working grid (16th's, 8th triplets, or dotted whatevers), for editing music, and the measure lock for moving things in a more macro way.

Sometimes I will select notes, then close the editor, and reveal the TO where the snap grid is tied to the zoom level.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
dix

Post by dix »

Every Audio Editor in the known universe, when you hit the key to place a Marker, it immediately Hilights the mark’s name field, sometimes lets you edit the location either by editing or mousing along the timeline, then easily returns you to editing mode. [John Belushi Voice] BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........
Not quite the same thing, but there's key command called "New Marker with Options" that allows you to name markers when you create them.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
frankf

Post by frankf »

dix wrote:
Every Audio Editor in the known universe, when you hit the key to place a Marker, it immediately Hilights the mark’s name field, sometimes lets you edit the location either by editing or mousing along the timeline, then easily returns you to editing mode. [John Belushi Voice] BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.........
Not quite the same thing, but there's key command called "New Marker with Options" that allows you to name markers when you create them.
Yes, what Dix wrote AND you can program a key or MIDI command for it and lock it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB