VERY Happy with my update to DP9.51 (from 9.02)...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tobor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: VERY Happy with my update to DP9.51 (from 9.02)...

Post by Tobor »

Well, FWIW, and I'll try to be brief....

I did tests yesterday with 9.5.1 and 9.02 on both High Sierra and Sierra. My Sierra drive is cluttered but my High Sierra drive is on a new Samsung EVO SSD and basically rebuilt clean with essentially only my music apps and plugs.

I referenced earlier an Orangetree Samples Acoustic Guitar patch that had a couple extra effects engaged that caused 9.5.1 to overload. Again, although I had a couple other VIs active the only sound that was in play was this guitar patch in record enable mode. I was able to monitor the activity with the Performance meter and the new Effects Performance meter in 9.5.1 (great idea and which I love btw).

The problem is basically this: when I played the guitar patch I got increased redline in 9.5.1 until occasionally the redline would spike and hold for ten seconds or so, during which time the audio system dropped out and stopped playing.

Booting and playing the same sound in the same file in 9.02, the Performance meter occasionally jumped into red on occasion, but the important thing is that the sound never glitched and the audio never dropped out.

This was on my clean High Sierra SSD drive. I booted back into my Sierra HHD drive and repeated the test with both 9.5.1 and 9.02. Exact same results.

The Kontakt window was open so I assume I was in RealTime mode? The Effects Performance meter in 9.5.1 seemed to think so.

Hard to get any work done with the audio system seizing up, therefore as I said I'm kind of stuck with 9.02 until I can figure this out. Re: the UAD thing, I'm reasonably patient that this will eventually work out and I have other plugs that I can use in their stead. It's a pain to have to reauthorize DP every time I boot in High Sierra though. I was hoping that the extra speed of the SSD would help 9.5.1 performance, but not yet. Any possible explanation? Thanks.....
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I thought the re-authorizing thing was done... do you have the latest 9.51 build?
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

HCMarkus wrote:I thought the re-authorizing thing was done... do you have the latest 9.51 build?
Yes, just checked. Perhaps it's because I go back and forth between 9.02 and my other boot drive.

At least I have my serial number memorized by now LOL.

And this is not nearly as annoying or frustrating as those performance redline spikes freezing the audio engine....I feel left out of the party.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Everything is working great with DP9.51 and Yosemite, with one notable exception:

Just as with DP9.1 and 9.02, I'm getting too many crashes when editing velocities in the GE window. In fact, editing velocities is the ONLY thing that crashes my DP. I was hoping 9.51 would address this, but I'm getting the same amount of crashes as before.

This happens when I edit them manually by grabbing the icons, or by selecting a bunch and manipulate them via de Change Velocity command.

Are any of you also seeing this?

If you think going to a newer OS might help the issue, I'd be willing to do it, but I don't think it has much to do with it.

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

FMiguelez wrote:Everything is working great with DP9.51 and Yosemite, with one notable exception:

Just as with DP9.1 and 9.02, I'm getting too many crashes when editing velocities in the GE window. In fact, editing velocities is the ONLY thing that crashes my DP. I was hoping 9.51 would address this, but I'm getting the same amount of crashes as before.

This happens when I edit them manually by grabbing the icons, or by selecting a bunch and manipulate them via de Change Velocity command.
I haven't experienced this, although I have been selecting MIDI notes only in Tracks or List windows and using Change Velocity, not in GE Window. Running latest Sierra.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Thought I'd do a follow up impression report after deciding to just jump in and use DP9.5.1 and High Sierra for a while since "it was there" on my new SSD drive, in spite of initial problems.

I must say I've been pleasantly surprised for the most part, and am now impressed by 9.5.1 which feels stable and efficient and has been performing well. LOVE the Effects Performance meter.

Caveats: Playing certain RAM hungry VIs still overloads the audio engine occasionally. Also, most projects play back smoothly and I appreciate what must be PreGen spreading out the CPU load so that the Performance Levels don't run quite as high, but some projects spike the audio engine higher than when I run the same project in Sierra on my HDD drive. Don't know what the variables would be there. And I do miss my UAD plugs from being able to load in DP under High Sierra.

I also have experienced crashes of unknown origin when trying to open some Sierra projects. Probably a conflict with certain VIs or library location issues, haven't been able to read the crash reports to pinpoint what is going on there.

Anyway I'm encouraged enough to keep working in 9.5.1 and HS, and for those projects that crash I can always go back to Sierra, HDD, and 9.02 to track the hungrier VIs and mix the projects that have UAD plugs or spike the HS versions. I'm hopeful that some of these issues will be resolved soon, but until then I have plenty to work with. Being able to work with an SSD as the main drive is huge, going back to the HHD now feels sooooo slooooooow.

So...with the current state of High Sierra and DP I would hesitate to recommend jumping in to High Sierra just yet, but since I found myself here I find working in HS and waiting for fixes more productive than wiping my SSD disk and building a Sierra version.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Isn't there a workaround for the UAD issue involving the VST folder? I don't know. I have a UAD-2 PCIe card and I think the UAD problem only effects the outboard DSP that connects via FW or TB.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

James Steele wrote:Isn't there a workaround for the UAD issue involving the VST folder? I don't know. I have a UAD-2 PCIe card and I think the UAD problem only effects the outboard DSP that connects via FW or TB.
Yes, thanks, I was aware and have printed out the formula. I am indeed connected via Thunderbolt.

Kind of balked at disabling my VST folder. But now that you've mentioned it again, factoring in current usage, it seems silly not to rename the folder temporarily and use my UAD plugs now. Didn't realize how much I'd want to stay on 9.5.1/HS/SSD.

Everything's been more of a moving target than usual as well because of my ongoing hard drive expansion/consolidation project, just keep upgrading, backing up, authorizing, cloning one thing at a time.