Area to place playback head in Timeruler is WAY to small...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Area to place playback head in Timeruler is WAY to small...

Post by Prime Mover »

My audio job is incredibly tedious. I listen to field recordings for any minuscule ticks or distracting noises and snip them out. I think I once calculated around 800 snips in a 5minute region. When you're doing a routine over and over again, the little annoyances become huge. There are not many, but the big one, and I realize it's ALWAYS been there, way before I did this kind of work, is that the vertical space along the timeruler to place the playback head is WAY too small, and has no visual delineation. It's maybe 10 pixels high, if that; an invisible region that extends only the height of the ~8pt time/measure numbers. Anything down in the ruler ticks changes to a selection cursor. Even when I'm careful, I miss maybe 15% of the time, and the whole process just adds just a little tension to my workflow.

I'd love to see a shading change between the "selection" region and the "play head" region, that would help A LOT. Secondly, I'd love to be able to change the height of the time ruler.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
stubbsonic

Re: Area to place playback head in Timeruler is WAY to small

Post by stubbsonic »

I agree that that area is pretty tight. However, I've gotten so used to finding it-- though it's invisible, the cursor change is all I ever needed.

I think of it as "up by the numbers" is the playback wiper cursor switch, on the ruler notches where I can select a time-range.

And.. HOLY CRAP... I just found something-- Right Click in that little strip right below the ruler to add a Key, Meter or Tempo Change. Never knew that was there.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

stubbsonic wrote:Right Click in that little strip right below the ruler to add a Key, Meter or Tempo Change. Never knew that was there.
Wow. Good find. I never knew that was there either! 8)
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It also gives you a from/to option so if you change the key it will add another change back to what it was prior to the change. It also brings up the tempo change window so you can insert ramps, etc. It's more full featured than using the Conductor Event list.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread. But this is pretty cool.

But yea, fiddly that wiper area.

Is there a command to change the cursor to the wiper?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

My paradigm for doing that kind of detail rarely gets me out of the sequence window (with the soundbite zoomed way in). Once I find the little bastards I use the 4 and 6 numeric keys to toggle around it. I rarely touch the wiper.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Helen

Post by Helen »

Way late reply, but I so very wanted to say THANK YOU for posting the right click technique. I have become right click happy after you posted that, trying right click for several tasks that I used to use the menu or mouse over for. My gosh I am happy with this. Thankyouthankyouthankyou! :woohoo:
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Oh cool! So glad that was a game changer for you. Yea, since I found that a few months ago, I've used it a few times. So nice when you can find a little step saver.