DP 9.51 anomalies

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kemccarthy1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.51 anomalies

Post by kemccarthy1 »

I've been running 9.02 for some time now with no issues at all. I had heard so much noise about 9.12 that I hadn't considered upgrading until 9.5 came out which from all accounts seemed to be fine for most users. I've tried moving up to 9.51 a couple of times now but have been seeing some weird stuff.
With the same projects, plugins, computer system, etc. I've been experiencing lots of processing problems. Routine activity in recording and mixing were now causing severe spikes in both the Processing and Playback monitors even to the extent a couple of times when DP reported that I'd run out of processing power. I stripped out all effects but it still occurred with the raw audio. When I went back to 9.02 none of this was happening - no processing issues at all.
Any ideas or like issues with anyone else?
iMac (Retina 5K, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 running 10.13.6 / 64GB RAM 2400 MHz DDR4/ DP 9.52 / Cubase 10.0.15 / UAD Apollo x8p / MOTU 828es / MOTU 8pre / Mackie 1604VLZ4 / Yamaha S80
HCMarkus

Re: DP 9.51 anomalies

Post by HCMarkus »

I have encountered several anomalies with pitch processing and the occasional plugin misfire (DP tells me the plugin slot is already filled when it's not). Also, plugin bypass automation is iffy. Otherwise, pretty solid.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Must chime and say my (albeit limited) experience has been the same. Tried 9.5.1 again yesterday to see if it would make my UAD plugins load. It didn't.

Good news is that I really really like 9.02. Just starting to get nervous as it feels like 9.02 came out a long time ago and multiple incarnations since then have just not worked well for me (with moderate VI use, some skitchy playback and occasional dropouts).
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tobor wrote:Must chime and say my (albeit limited) experience has been the same. Tried 9.5.1 again yesterday to see if it would make my UAD plugins load. It didn't.
What UA hardware are you using? I have a UAD-2 DUO and the plugs all work great.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

I've got an original Apollo Twin.

Everything UAD is still loading and working great on my original iMac HHD boot drive under Sierra. When I had my SSD installed, he installed it with High Sierra. That seems to be the difference.

From the posts above, it seems to be a known issue. I'm a bit disappointed but not terribly upset, it helps that I can just keep running my usual familiar system. I suppose I could install Sierra on the SSD from my HHD disk, but am enjoying checking out High Sierra in other areas so six of one....

Hope they get together and fix it soon though!

Reinforces the concept that you should maintain a well running system as backup, and when you update anything major, first do the update on an alternate boot drive.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Ahhh well that would explain it. I'm on Sierra. Seems like that's something UA needs to fix?? Not easy to say who's at fault here.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

On the other hand, I am running 10.13.2 (dev beta) with DP 9.51, and my UA plugs work fine. Maybe a reinstall would clear things up??
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
kemccarthy1

Post by kemccarthy1 »

Gravity Jim wrote:On the other hand, I am running 10.13.2 (dev beta) with DP 9.51, and my UA plugs work fine. Maybe a reinstall would clear things up??
A reinstall might be called for. I've just added plugins from Soundtoys, SlateDigital, and Valhalla so not sure if all of that is making an impact. From experience I'm nervous about upgrading until necessary but since I haven't seen many complaints about 9.5 I'd like to get up to speed sooner rather than later. Much of what I've seen in comparison to 9.02 seems cool.

I think I know what makes for a reinstall but just for my sanity could you (or anyone) confirm quickly the steps to do so on Mac OSX 10.12? Is it just a matter of removing DP from Applications and reinstalling from the dmg file? And then I presume to reinstall the various plugins?

TIA.
iMac (Retina 5K, 2017) 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 running 10.13.6 / 64GB RAM 2400 MHz DDR4/ DP 9.52 / Cubase 10.0.15 / UAD Apollo x8p / MOTU 828es / MOTU 8pre / Mackie 1604VLZ4 / Yamaha S80
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Automation of bypass is iffy over here. Any number of plugins won't work. 9.13 does work ok.
Music is movement in silence
My day jon - http://www.audioplanet.pl
My other passion - http://www.aps-company.pl