Why does Bounce To Disc get corrupted?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Kellog
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Why does Bounce To Disc get corrupted?

Post by Kellog »

After working on a track for a number of days (and making numerous successful ‘work in progress’ bounces along the way) I sometimes find that bounce to disc starts to not work anymore. It worked yesterday. Then I made some EZ Keys MIDI tweaks. Then the bounce comes out with tracks no longer aligned. Playback of the sequence is on point. But the bounce gets ‘confused’ is how it feels. So then I have to reroute within DP to do a real-time mixdown.
I tried loading the chunk into a new file. Still does the corrupted bounce. Troubling and flow stopping.
Any ideas in this great forum? Thanks, Kelly
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
David Polich

Re: Why does Bounce To Disc get corrupted?

Post by David Polich »

Yes. Stop doing Bounce-To-Disk.

I haven’t done a BTD since 2005.

Do a real-time mixdown instead. BTD is
simply too error-prone, as you have discovered.
Besides running your mixdown in real-time
lets you hear possible problematic areas which
you can then fix. You dont hear these
when doing a BTD, you’re just assuming the
mixdown is going fine, when it quite possibly
isn’t.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

^^^^^^ What he said.

I always re-record the mix back into the project file in real time, listening as I go. Too easy to leave a forgotten mistake, a misrouted track or horrible aliases in the final.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

+1 on the advice offered.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

+1

I've heard several people say it's been fixed or they've never had any problems, but the BTD issue has been discussed here for a very long time. I just avoid BTD altogether.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Phil O wrote:+1

I've heard several people say it's been fixed or they've never had any problems, but the BTD issue has been discussed here for a very long time. I just avoid BTD altogether.
Me too.
I haven't had any BTD problems for a long time, but I got used to printing in real time my masters and stems.
I only use BTD for preliminary mixes, and they always seem fine here.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Well thats pretty unanimous. To be clear these are prelim mixes, parts checking and overall EQ checking outside the work space. But point taken... set up a template and run mixes in real time.
As I've said b4, love this forum and the time folks take to illuminate. :) Thanks all, Kelly
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don't really have much problem at all with BTD. I can't remember a time with BTD dropped something, but if it was a final, critical mix I'd definitely listen to the bounce from beginning to end. So I can see that bouncing in realtime would be wise just to listen to it go down. Then again, I'd ALWAYS listen back to the the actual final mix file.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

No problem with BTD unless I have a bad stick of RAM or my NV RAM battery is weak—but it crashes if either of those problems exist.

I have never experienced tracks not lining up — that's a new one to me.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

There IS a difference between audio-only BTD, and one that includes non-rendered VIs. Those always seem to be the problem when there are any.
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

FMiguelez wrote:There IS a difference between audio-only BTD, and one that includes non-rendered VIs. Those always seem to be the problem when there are any.
True enough. I have heard of some plugs on the Master such as Ozone 5 gumming up the works but I have never experienced it.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:I have never experienced tracks not lining up — that's a new one to me.
Yeah... seems like the problems I've heard of involve VI's just not ending up in a mix. Although haven't heard recent reports of that.

I can't remember now the exact circumstance that led me to do this, but I got into the habit of before doing a BTD, returning DP's transport to the beginning of the sequence, pressing play for a split second, and then returning to zero, and THEN bouncing. Again, it sounds weird but I vaguely remember feeling like that reset any automation within a project.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I’ve been having this problem with Pianoteq. I always have to double check the bounce because about 5% of the time it drops out in the middle somewhere. I’m using it in a V-rack. Don’t remember it happening when the instrument track is in the chunk.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I actually do not understand why someone would bounce a final mix without previously having printed the VIs :?

I mean, just from a project future-proof angle, it seems like a VERY bad idea not to. Will you have the same VIs 2 years down the road? Will they still be in the market? Or maybe the company went out of business?

This may be a stubborn idiosyncrasy of mine, but I actually always feel relieved when I reach the MIDI-printing stage for any project... As if that´s the moment when the project is secure and brought to the "physical realm" instead of living loosely in the MIDI ether...

Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I normally do exactly that (print my VI tracks as audio), but this was a project with 53 chunks of just piano for a rehearsal CD and I just needed to bounce them all out quickly.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.