Why does Bounce To Disc get corrupted?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Why does Bounce To Disc get corrupted?

Post by daniel.sneed »

mikehalloran wrote:[...] I have heard of some plugs on the Master such as Ozone 5 gumming up the works but I have never experienced it.
I've been there. BTD with many tracks and Ozone on master track (in V-rack) get often corrupted: missing notes and the like.
But BTD with a single track and Ozone on master track (in V-rack) has been fine here.
So I end up with a two steps BTD:
- first for mixing tracks to 24 bits, with DP MW Limiter and other DP plugins. I call them *raw mix #*.
- second for mastering the mix to 16 bits with Ozone. I call them *master #*
IMOE, this has been reliable for years now.
BTW it allows for a different mastering session later, from *raw mix#* to *master#*, sometimes needed.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

daniel.sneed wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:[...] I have heard of some plugs on the Master such as Ozone 5 gumming up the works but I have never experienced it.
I've been there. BTD with many tracks and Ozone on master track (in V-rack) get often corrupted: missing notes and the like.
But BTD with a single track and Ozone on master track (in V-rack) has been fine here.
So I end up with a two steps BTD:
- first for mixing tracks to 24 bits, with DP MW Limiter and other DP plugins. I call them *raw mix #*.
- second for mastering the mix to 16 bits with Ozone. I call them *master #*
IMOE, this has been reliable for years now.
BTW it allows for a different mastering session later, from *raw mix#* to *master#*, sometimes needed.
I like that and will have to remember. Supposedly, Ozone 6 and 7 addressed this but one should be prepared. I always considered the possibility that, since I used Advanced, it wasn't a problem as I used only the tools I needed. The modules in Ozone are separate plugs in Advanced.

Thanks!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I use Tascam DA-3000 with a series of classic analog mastering tools to do a bounce. These are great boxes and are relatively cheap used on eBay these days. I understand the saving of a mix back to the oriject but I like to not burden the computer with anymore load than it has when playing back, especially with high content VI's running real time with many audio effects and tracks. Just my .02c
:)
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

That is exactly what we do Timeline. DA3000 via mytek converters.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

labman wrote:That is exactly what we do Timeline. DA3000 via mytek converters.
Mytek, very nice.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Nice avatar, Timeline!

Is that you? Like a mad musician in his private music lab about to do somethng crazy :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

FMiguelez wrote:Nice avatar, Timeline!

Is that you? Like a mad musician in his private music lab about to do somethng crazy :)
Me in '04
:-)
labman

Post by labman »

Timeline wrote:
labman wrote:That is exactly what we do Timeline. DA3000 via mytek converters.
Mytek, very nice.
Our mastering guy B Katz keeps telling me that there is something wonderfully euphonic about the work we send him with the DP->mytek->DA3000 combination. Or maybe thats euphoric. Cant remember. Hard for me to keep up with all the big words he uses. LOL I just know it works.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Definitely ! The DA3k also compensates for SR changes when switching to lower SR's like 44.1. I noticed this recently when dropping down from 96k when OL peaks disappeared and the levels decreased slightly the peaks were there at 96k. :)
labman

Post by labman »

Timeline wrote:Definitely ! The DA3k also compensates for SR changes when switching to lower SR's like 44.1. I noticed this recently when dropping down from 96k when OL peaks disappeared and the levels decreased slightly the peaks were there at 96k. :)
wooo that is interesting to know. Thank you.
peter

Post by peter »

Hi guys,
been away for a longer time (that other life, you know), still enjoying DP, and while I'm feeling it's a stupid question, here it is anyway: How do I do: real-time mixdown? Is there a way to route the Master Output to an audio track? Or do I have to "reroute" every single track to a separate audio track?
Thanks, and forgive me...
labman

Post by labman »

peter wrote:Hi guys,
been away for a longer time (that other life, you know), still enjoying DP, and while I'm feeling it's a stupid question, here it is anyway: How do I do: real-time mixdown? Is there a way to route the Master Output to an audio track? Or do I have to "reroute" every single track to a separate audio track?
Thanks, and forgive me...
Hey there Peter. We keep an aux in front of the master fader at all times that is called 'Mix Aux'. Everything form the session in one way or the other gets routed there. We also always have a stereo audio track at the ready called "mix print". To do a live print 'within' DP, we just put a send cranked to unity post fader on the Mix Aux, pointed to the input of the Mix Print track and hit record on mix print. Right before we hit record we rename the Mix Print track whatever the piece and version is, so the audio file gets the proper name. We call the buss to the input of Mix Print track the ever clever 'to mix print'. LOL ...so us old guys never get confused. (Actually it is all hard wired into our main template that we use everyday.)
peter

Post by peter »

Hi labman,
ah, got it, nice solution!
Thanks a lot.
Gabe S.

Post by Gabe S. »

When I have an Audio-Only project, I have learned to trust the Bounce To Disk feature. It saves me a ton of time.

In the past, I always recorded final files in realtime---all full mixes, alternate mixes and complete stems. A complete album would take FOREVERRRRRR. Over 120+ files that were 3-4 minutes long each.....it's a whole day of torture. ugh. BTD speeds things up DRAMATICALLY and the bounces sound perfectly fine.

A couple tips/thoughts: I have a TextEdit doc with every album where I keep track of various aspects of it. One thing I write down is the IN and OUT point of each song. That way, I can return in the future and re-bounce only what is needed and everything will still be in sync. All files, whether full mixes or stems, are exactly the same length and have the same start/sync points. This gives confidence to whoever has to use the files. I also choose the IN and OUT points very carefully because you can't really "top-and-tail" any of the files later (remove dead air) since it alters the length. (These days, DP's Project Notes window could handle the documenting tasks, but I create new sessions for each song, and I prefer having all the info for all the songs in one doc. Plus, with Project Notes, you'd need to have the session open to see any documentation.)

I wish we had a Batch Export like Cubase where you can produce a full set of stems in a single export. That would be pretty awesome.....
Computer: 2019 Mac Pro 28-core 2.5gHz, OS 10.15.2, 96GB ram, all SSD/NVME drives, MH Labs ULN-8, MOTU MidiTimepiece AV
DP Setup: DP10.11, all Spectrasonics VIs, all Waves plugins, Sonnox AU, Altiverb, NI Komplete 12/K5+6, Plogue Bidule 64 as VI host