Os Error-Unexpected end of file (-39)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
NACHEX
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Os Error-Unexpected end of file (-39)

Post by NACHEX »

Somebody know how can i fix this?

Digital perfomer 9.12 OS 10.9.6 / 9.51 OS 10.11.16
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Os Error-Unexpected end of file (-39)

Post by James Steele »

Might need to know a little more about what you were doing when it happened? Loading a DP project I'm guessing? Was the project always on your own hard drive or was it sent over the internet? Any other info you can relate would probably be helpful. Sometimes it might be disc corruption on your hard drive and you might want to run Disk Utility and try to repair it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
NACHEX

Post by NACHEX »

Hi James. I started a project from the beggining , on the same disk always. Suddenly the DP quit , and then when i try to reopen the project this message appear. The Autosave doesn´t work , the same message appears.
Tried to load the sequence on a different project ... only load the soundbites but no the sequence.
Tried different computer ... same issue.
Tried loading without audio hard (MIDI Only) ... nothing changes.
Idk if a mistake from DP or MacOS but is maddening. I lost hours and hours of work. :banghead:

Cheers
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Do a Tech Link with MOTU Support. This error has more than one possible cause.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
NACHEX

Post by NACHEX »

I´been talking with tech support ... they don´t have any idea about this issue
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Corruption of the file on the disk upon which the file resides; i.e., a flipped bit?

Having had drives fail mid-project with resulting wailing and gnashing of teeth, I understand your frustration and hope you can find a fix.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Unfortunately, searching for it here is impossible. There have been a number of threads over the years, however. Do a Google search on Unexpected end of file (-39) to find some of them.

This one from 2011 shows the most promise.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40502&hilit=MacOS+e ... of+file+39

This is an OS error that normally indicates a corrupt path. The solution will depend on if you caused it or if you recently installed something that did it accidentally.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
NACHEX

Post by NACHEX »

Thank you Mike , i´been searching a lot and a i found a different experiences ... but none of they experiences could solve my problem.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Since it's supposed to be a corrupt path, the first thing I would do is reinstall DP. No need to uninstall first.

The second is a Safe Boot. Hold the Shift key on start. Release when it asks you to log into your User account. When it finishes rebuilding your desktop icons, reboot normally. This will take a long time compared to normal startup but it's not a bad idea to do once a year or so.

Do both. If simply a path issue, you should be good to go.

There are other causes such as trying to write to a directory that no longer exists or importing files from a CD without moving to a directory you can write to first (the most common pilot error). It can also be a harbinger of a drive failure—let's hope it's not that.

If you still have a problem, boot from another drive and run Disk Utility. If anything shows up in red, you will need to replace the drive. You can keep running DU till you get the green OK. Then do one more backup to Time Machine and replace the drive.
dix

Post by dix »

NACHEX wrote:Hi James. I started a project from the beggining , on the same disk always. Suddenly the DP quit , and then when i try to reopen the project this message appear. The Autosave doesn´t work , the same message appears.
Tried to load the sequence on a different project ... only load the soundbites but no the sequence.
Tried different computer ... same issue.
Tried loading without audio hard (MIDI Only) ... nothing changes.
Idk if a mistake from DP or MacOS but is maddening. I lost hours and hours of work. :banghead:

Cheers
Hmm. Is it just this one project that gives the error? Do other projects open without a problem? Assuming it's just the one project, will the project open with the audio engine off? ...although i'm guessing motu probably would have asked that too.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
NACHEX

Post by NACHEX »

Thanks James , Mike , HCMarkus and dix for your reply.

I´ve a ¨official¨ answer fot MOTU. They said :
¨ The file is damaged beyond repair.The -39 error is a Mac OS error indicating that the end of the file can not be found. This typically means the file was damaged on the hard drive. You should take this as a general warning and run diagnostics on your drives. You can check with the Apple Disk Utility. More thorough diagnostic software would include TechTool Pro or Disk Warrior.¨

This diagnostic it´s close to Mike´s Idea ... so i´ll try to do that.

If i have any news ... i´ll post it.

Cheers.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

I just had this error. I ran out of OS disk space and couldn't save. Tried saving to another drive but somehow the project got corrupted. I even tried loading it into a fresh project but still got the same error. It did however load and although it wouldn't re-save or save as, I was able to bounce the few audio files that I had and start over. It wasn't a big project so..no problem. Just thought I would share.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.
Martini Hill

Post by Martini Hill »

I should add that I was rendering and transcoding a large Final Cut Pro X project in the background...hence why I was caught off guard when my "disk is full" error popped up.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
|l| OS X 10.8.5 ML |l| 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro-8GB RAM |l| DP 9.02 |l| VE Pro 5 |l|Motu MTP AV-#2 MIDI Express USB-#2 2408 Mk II |l| #2 Mackie 400f's |l| Peak Pro 7 |l| Waves 9.x |l| CLA Classic Compressors |l| MPX Master Tape |l| Vocal Rider |l| iZotope Stutter Edit |l| Omnisphere 2 |l| Mach5 2 |l| Sample Tank 2 |l| Sonik Synth 2 |l| Stylus RMX |l| VirHarmonic |l| Albion I |l| VE Pro 5 |l| Superior Drummer 2 |l| EZ Drummer |l| Drumcore 2.5 |l| Garritan Personal Orchestra |l| Many hardware synths.