Link Memory to Selection? Or Selection to Memory?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Link Memory to Selection? Or Selection to Memory?

Post by bayswater »

I've always had trouble figuring out the combinations and permutations of the DP commands related to memory. There are loads of "memory" commands and buttons, and a lack of one to one correspondence between the key commands, but buttons, and the memory function.

After another attempt to sort it out, I noticed that the manual refers to two commands that contribute to my confusion, and it appears this one is a long standing error in the manual:

1) Link Memory to Selection. Presumably means that DP looks at the the values set for the start and ends points of a selection, and copies those in the the memory start and end values. The manual verifies this.

2) Link Selection to Memory. This would mean the opposite, but it's not clear why you want to have a selection defined by the memory locations. And the manual defines this the same way as it defines the first command.

In the past, both of the these commands appeared in the Commands window. In 9.5.1, only the first one appears. But the Link Selection to Memory appears in the manual in a few places.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8