High Sierra, DP and UAD Pluggins

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: High Sierra, DP and UAD Pluggins

Post by Gravity Jim »

Just want to point out that nobody should delay updating either DP or OSX if you worry that your UAD plugs won't work.

Because mine still work, with no futzing around.

The only thing the latest update broke was my HAL 9000 Screensaver.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Gravity Jim wrote:Just want to point out that nobody should delay updating either DP or OSX if you worry that your UAD plugs won't work.

Because mine still work, with no futzing around.

The only thing the latest update broke was my HAL 9000 Screensaver.
I just spoke to MOTU on the phone today and they confirmed that the there is currently still an unresolved issue with the latest UAD and DP under High Sierra.

What kind of UAD are you using? Is it Firewre? The original poster on this uses Firewire. Maybe that is a key part of it. I use UAD-2 FIrewire (not Apollo), so I definitely am concerned about this issue.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Makes me wonder if any of this applies to the UAD PCIe cards?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dix

Post by dix »

Ah. As opposed to Apollos etc. That hadn't occurred to me. Jim's okay with his card, so maybe not.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dix wrote:
Ah. As opposed to Apollos etc. That hadn't occurred to me. Jim's okay with his card, so maybe not.
Right... so perhaps this is with external UAD boxes connected via FW or TB only? I don't have High Sierra on my Mac, and don't really intend to install it so I can't corroborate. I know the PCIe cards are slowly being phased out so not much help there, but might be useful info to know this isn't affecting the UAD PCIe cards.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yeah, I run a pair of PCIe cards and have not had a problem with any version of OSX 10.11, 10.12 or 10.13.

You guys might be onto something with this Firewire thing.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
IO

Post by IO »

Funny thing i fired up my system yesterday and was able to use my UAD plugins in DP. I thought to my self how is this possible? I closed DP and when i went to reopen it i got the error again so really strange behavior and not constant it seems.

I would guess it is with eternal boxes only, I can't use my UAD-1 quad pci-e card anymore as i upgraded my machine to a trash can and only use UAD boxes via TB now that have the DSP builtin.
3Ghz 8core Trash Can 64GB RAM OSX 10.13.2 | UAD Apollo 8 Quad | UAD Apollo Twin MKII Solo | DP 9.51 | ProTools 12.8.3 | Studio One 3 | Logic Pro X | DSP Quattro | Waves | UAD
balbertine

Post by balbertine »

Just upgraded to High Sierra (probably foolish) and planning to upgrade to DP9 but in the DP9 demo none of my UAD plugins show up now, as other people have noted. Also, just read that Vienna Instruments VEPro won't work in DP9 with High Sierra. Both of these packages (the UAD and VEP) are working just fine in Cubase 9 and Protools 12HD on my system with High Sierra, making it apparent that the problem here is MOTU. Please MOTU, I want to upgrade to DP9, please fix these problems!

2010 Mac Pro quad, UA Apollo quad FW, UA PCIe Octo
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

updated to 10.13 today from 10.12 and got bit by this.. Reinstalled UAD 9.4.1, reinstalled DP 9.5.1. None of the solutions listed here work for me so far. late 2015 iMac Retina 5K quad 4Ghz. I have a thunderbolt Octo UAD and 2 quad PCI UAD cards in a thunderbolt enclosure along with an RME MADI FX to an Orion 32. The AU versions still work in every other DAW (PT12, Logic X, S1v3 and Mixbuss 32C) and seem unaffected by the update. Plenty of ways to get work done. This seems like such a strange thing. It's got to be something really weird for MOTU to not have found the problem yet. Especially when all the other DAWs work.
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

SOLVED !!! for me at least... 100% reproducible on my system.. Open the DP Preferences and scroll to Audio Plug-ins. In the list of the plug-ins available at the top should be MAS VST Support. Uncheck it and click done. No need to restart DP. My gigantic template in DP just reloaded all the UAD plugs in the background and works great. Toggle it back on and I get the same MAS errors. I will file this in my MOTU tech link so that they know. It's completely weird.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Good sleuthing. In retrospect, the MAS support models as culprits makes a lot of sense.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

mrgkeys wrote:SOLVED !!! for me at least... 100% reproducible on my system.. Open the DP Preferences and scroll to Audio Plug-ins. In the list of the plug-ins available at the top should be MAS VST Support. Uncheck it and click done. No need to restart DP. My gigantic template in DP just reloaded all the UAD plugs in the background and works great. Toggle it back on and I get the same MAS errors. I will file this in my MOTU tech link so that they know. It's completely weird.
THIS!! Thank you, worked for me after I rebooted DP. What I love about this fix is that it’s done WITHIN DP without monkeying with the system VST folder.

One big hurdle towards using DP in HS full time, it really feels snappy and solid there. mrgkeys, you’re my hero of the month!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Babz »

Tobor wrote:
mrgkeys wrote:SOLVED !!! for me at least... 100% reproducible on my system.. Open the DP Preferences and scroll to Audio Plug-ins. In the list of the plug-ins available at the top should be MAS VST Support. Uncheck it and click done. No need to restart DP. My gigantic template in DP just reloaded all the UAD plugs in the background and works great. Toggle it back on and I get the same MAS errors. I will file this in my MOTU tech link so that they know. It's completely weird.
THIS!! Thank you, worked for me after I rebooted DP. What I love about this fix is that it’s done WITHIN DP without monkeying with the system VST folder.

One big hurdle towards using DP in HS full time, it really feels snappy and solid there. mrgkeys, you’re my hero of the month!
What does “MAS VST Support” do? Will disabling this inhibit the ability to run VSTs in DP? I have a few plugins that must be run in the VST version, as the AU version is problematic.
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Babz wrote: What does “MAS VST Support” do? Will disabling this inhibit the ability to run VSTs in DP? I have a few plugins that must be run in the VST version, as the AU version is problematic.
One way to find out, I guess. If it knocks out your VSTs (highly likely) then it would be an either/or proposition. I only have a couple VSTs that I use, but not that often so it made the choice relatively simple. I'm hoping they can find the permanent fix relatively soon.

Happily I also found the solution to another nagging problem this week. I occasionally use Band in a Box to sketch out an arrangement when I'm pressed for time, and for years I would use Drag n' Drop to simply import the tracks to DP. With DP 9 all of a sudden that stopped working. I found I could DnD to Logic and then export the Logic tracks back to the desktop and they would import fine. It turns out that DP likes to see wav and aiff files in lower case and won't import WAV or AIFF files. So now I can skip three steps and rename the BnB files in lower case before importing. Should you ever need this info.....

If I had found either solution from MOTU rather than internet forums it would inspire a little more confidence, but I'm thankful for all the other beta testers out there.

To be fair I'm really enjoying 9.5.1 in High Sierra on SSD. You have to proceed carefully and methodically to get everything up and running correctly (DP will crash to let you know if you try to load an unauthorized or installed plug in), but at least it's possible to get some work done while we wait for all the players to get in the game.

I hope that Apple waits a little (lot) longer before upgrading the OS again. I've spent most of my time over the last couple months manipulating data and dragging files hither and yon. I'd really like to spend the rest of the year making music instead of working on the eternal puzzle.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

"MOTU VST Support" is sort of the MAS wrapper for VST plugs. Kind of like Waveshell is for Waves plugs. When it's not enabled DP can't load VSTs. There's also a "MOTU Audio Unit Support" plug that behaves similarly.