High Sierra, DP and UAD Pluggins

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
sergiosacoto
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

High Sierra, DP and UAD Pluggins

Post by sergiosacoto »

I've been using Apollo Firewire, UAD plugins and Digital Performer for a couple of years with no problem at all. I just installed High Sierra on my Mac Pro (mid 2010) and DP won't load UAD plugins. I'm getting this error: Mas, 1 error Audio Unit Support Mas, 1 error Audio Unit Support Failure: Base ::New 160 -50 (-50). One error for each used plugin on the project. I was checking the procedure on the upgrade installation page of Universal Audio, it says that I should allow UAD Pluggis from my Security and Privacy panel but I don't get the authorization message there. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance

Sergio
Bennie Sims

Re: High Sierra, DP and UAD Pluggins

Post by Bennie Sims »

It could be a firewire issue because of the updated system. The Apollo firewire was and is buggy on a lot of Mac systems. If you reinstalled plugs or updated them, make sure you downloaded the right Apollo plugs because they stop supporting their firewire plugs after a certain version.
Mac Pro Six Core Trashcan OX.10.13.3,Macbook Pro 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5 OSX 10.11,DP 8.07 and 9.52,Protools 2018.4 and 10.3.9,Logic 10.4.1.,Reason 8,Waves V9.7. Diamond Bundle, Mach Five 3.2.1, Vir 2, Kontakt 5.3, Melodyne Studio 3.2.2.2, Melodyne Single Track, Motu 2804 MK3, Apollo 8 Quad,Apollo 8 Duo,UAD 2 FireWire Quad Satellite, UAD Thunderbolt Quad Satellite, Rosetta 800, Avalon Vt 747sp, Focusrite 4x Red One, UAD 4-710d, Raven MTi 2 3.3.1, Motu MIDI Express XT.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Do you have the latest UAD plugs version? I think that's 9.4 right now.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
sergiosacoto

Post by sergiosacoto »

James Steele wrote:Do you have the latest UAD plugs version? I think that's 9.4 right now.
Hi James!

Yes, I installed the latest UAD and DP software previous to going to High Sierra
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

sergiosacoto wrote:
James Steele wrote:Do you have the latest UAD plugs version? I think that's 9.4 right now.
Hi James!

Yes, I installed the latest UAD and DP software previous to going to High Sierra
Figured you must have. It was a shot in the dark. :(

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Jano

Post by Jano »

Bennie Sims wrote:It could be a firewire issue because of the updated system. The Apollo firewire was and is buggy on a lot of Mac systems. If you reinstalled plugs or updated them, make sure you downloaded the right Apollo plugs because they stop supporting their firewire plugs after a certain version.
This is not related to firewire. I'm using Apollo with thunderbolt, and after upgrade to High Sierra, all UAD plugins became failed in DP.
I forced (deleted VST info cache in USER/Library/Preferences/com.motu.MotuAudioSystemDP) to do the reexam again, it went through without problem, still UAD plugins are failed.

(I tried with other DAW - Logic - and it is working)
Regards,
Jano
iMac 2.9GHz Intel Core i5 OSX.10.13, Macbook Pro 2 GHz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.13, DP 9.5, Logic 10.3.2, Kontakt 5.3, Motu 828 MK2, Apollo 2 Thunderbolt Quad, Avid Mbox Pro 3, Emagic AMT-8, Access Virus TI2 Darkstar, Korg Prophecy, Korg Trinity V3, Kurzweil K2000R, EMU E6400 Ultra, Roland JD800
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Jano wrote:
This is not related to firewire. I'm using Apollo with thunderbolt, and after upgrade to High Sierra, all UAD plugins became failed in DP.
I forced (deleted VST info cache in USER/Library/Preferences/com.motu.MotuAudioSystemDP) to do the reexam again, it went through without problem, still UAD plugins are failed.

(I tried with other DAW - Logic - and it is working)
Regards,
Jano
+1.

I tried the UAD workaround linked in a similar thread but I get the same MOTU error message and the UAD plugs do not load.

If DP would recognize the UAD plugs and I could avoid having to authorize DP every time I restart, I could probably start living in High Sierra. As it stands I'm strongly considering doing what it takes to change my HS drive back to Sierra.

Hope they can get together and fix this soon...for the holidays, yeah!
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tobor wrote:If DP would recognize the UAD plugs and I could avoid having to authorize DP every time I restart, I could probably start living in High Sierra. As it stands I'm strongly considering doing what it takes to change my HS drive back to Sierra.
Is that because you don't want to use DP 9.51? I thought 9.51 didn't have the authorization problem in High Sierra like earlier versions?

Tobor

Post by Tobor »

James Steele wrote:
Tobor wrote:If DP would recognize the UAD plugs and I could avoid having to authorize DP every time I restart, I could probably start living in High Sierra. As it stands I'm strongly considering doing what it takes to change my HS drive back to Sierra.
Is that because you don't want to use DP 9.51? I thought 9.51 didn't have the authorization problem in High Sierra like earlier versions?
I tested 9.5.1 a couple times by opening it first after rebooting after a UAD reinstall. I ‘think’ I had to reauthorize DP although now I can’t say for sure, but it made no difference re: UAD. I thought that the UAD install was supposed to show up in the Security pane of System Prefs to then click ‘allow’, but it doesn’t show up for me.

While in DP 9.5.1 I played around for awhile, but the pre-gen thing just doesn’t work for me when playing VI’s. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it just feels a little glitchy at times compared to 9.02 which just sails, especially on the SSD. I would spend more time with 9.5.1 but there’s the minor irritation of having to reset my Tracks Overview preferences whenever I return to 9.02.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
Jano

Post by Jano »

#UPDATE from MOTU Techlinks

"Unfortunately yes, there is an incompatibility with DP and UAD plugins on High Sierra. It is not specific to the DP version, but to High Sierra. MOTU and UAD are working together to resolve this as quickly as possible. But as of now, there is not a fix. "
iMac 2.9GHz Intel Core i5 OSX.10.13, Macbook Pro 2 GHz Intel Core i7 OSX 10.13, DP 9.5, Logic 10.3.2, Kontakt 5.3, Motu 828 MK2, Apollo 2 Thunderbolt Quad, Avid Mbox Pro 3, Emagic AMT-8, Access Virus TI2 Darkstar, Korg Prophecy, Korg Trinity V3, Kurzweil K2000R, EMU E6400 Ultra, Roland JD800
maqchang

Post by maqchang »

+1

I've reported the same to MOTU but they insist UAD v9.4 is still not workable for High Sierra though UAD has claimed it & Logic Pro is OK for v9.4.

I use DP8 & UAD in Sierra without problem. I even upgrade to 9.5 for the current bad situation but it acted same.

The only way for me now is to use my backup system HD which is still Sierra. Hope DP can solve it ASAP.
Jano

Post by Jano »

Good news, here is the solution:

1.) Run the UAD 9.4 installer.

2) Open the Applications folder and drag the Digital Performer application
to the trash. If you have multiple versions of DP, be sure to drag all versions
to the trash.

3) Hold the Option Key while clicking on the Finder's "GO" drop-down
menu, select Library, then open the Preferences folder. Find the
com.motu.MotuAudioSystem folder and drag it to the trash. Empty the
trash.

4) Download the DP 9.51 installer available at motu.com/downloads and
run the installer.

5) Find the VST folder (System HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/) and rename
the folder to anything other than “VST” (for example, “VST_temp”).

By Motu Techlink
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Jano wrote:Good news, here is the solution:

1.) Run the UAD 9.4 installer.

2) Open the Applications folder and drag the Digital Performer application
to the trash. If you have multiple versions of DP, be sure to drag all versions
to the trash.

3) Hold the Option Key while clicking on the Finder's "GO" drop-down
menu, select Library, then open the Preferences folder. Find the
com.motu.MotuAudioSystem folder and drag it to the trash. Empty the
trash.

4) Download the DP 9.51 installer available at motu.com/downloads and
run the installer.

5) Find the VST folder (System HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/) and rename
the folder to anything other than “VST” (for example, “VST_temp”).

By Motu Techlink
Interesting. So this means no VST use then? I only use a couple VST's in DP.

Looking forward to hearing if this works for a few people. Checking MOTU's site I guess it's still possible to download 9.02, and wonder if this fix holds up for that iteration.
NeilBlack

Post by NeilBlack »

I"m happy to report this working for me. Thanks for the post.
DP10.1 MacPro 5.1 Hex OSX 10.14.6 24GB Ram. UA Apollo. ProAc Studio 100's. Neumann KH120's Neumann 84's / AKG / Crowley & Tripp / NTK Jolly mod. Focusrite, TLA, GAP mic pre's. Maschine 2
maqchang

Post by maqchang »

I don't use any VST plugin in DP or LogicPro, can I delete the VST of VST3 folder in Library/Audio/plug-ins ?
In my MBP, these two folder take over 8GB space.