High Sierra, DP and UAD Pluggins

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Babz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: High Sierra, DP and UAD Pluggins

Post by Babz »

James Steele wrote:"MOTU VST Support" is sort of the MAS wrapper for VST plugs. Kind of like Waveshell is for Waves plugs. When it's not enabled DP can't load VSTs. There's also a "MOTU Audio Unit Support" plug that behaves similarly.
Thx, James. That’s what I thought. So not a viable workaround for me. El Capitan stays for me. :mrgreen:
tremo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by tremo »

Babz wrote:
James Steele wrote:"MOTU VST Support" is sort of the MAS wrapper for VST plugs. Kind of like Waveshell is for Waves plugs. When it's not enabled DP can't load VSTs. There's also a "MOTU Audio Unit Support" plug that behaves similarly.
Thx, James. That’s what I thought. So not a viable workaround for me. El Capitan stays for me. :mrgreen:
I still haven't seen an answer to this question: what if, instead of disabling all MAS/VST support, you delete (or move) the UAD "Powered Plugins" folder from the VST folder? Will UAD AUs work then? I'm still on Sierra, so I can't test this.

IIRC, in the past UAD AUs needed the VST versions to be present in order to work (like Korg AUs). But in current (9.4) UAD installs, you can safely delete the UAD VSTs from the regular VST folder because... in Library/Application Support/Universal Audio there's a "UAD-2 Powered Plug-ins" folder with a package -- with a .vst extension -- for each plugin. The packages are a lot larger in size than the VST plugins; I'm guessing that both AU and VST plugins draw resources from these ".vst" packages.

So... has anyone on HS tried just getting rid of the UAD VST plugins?
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.3.1 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.5 | Logic 10.8
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

Tobor wrote:
mrgkeys wrote:SOLVED !!! for me at least... 100% reproducible on my system.. Open the DP Preferences and scroll to Audio Plug-ins. In the list of the plug-ins available at the top should be MAS VST Support. Uncheck it and click done. No need to restart DP. My gigantic template in DP just reloaded all the UAD plugs in the background and works great. Toggle it back on and I get the same MAS errors. I will file this in my MOTU tech link so that they know. It's completely weird.
THIS!! Thank you, worked for me after I rebooted DP. What I love about this fix is that it’s done WITHIN DP without monkeying with the system VST folder.

One big hurdle towards using DP in HS full time, it really feels snappy and solid there. mrgkeys, you’re my hero of the month!
Speaking of snappy, this fix has halved my DP boot time, couldn't tell you why, because I don't use VSTs in any of the other DAWs I have on my machine, and don't generally install them, except for the installers that don't let you customize the install. My session load times are faster, and overall it absolutely feels more snappy. I'll try removing the UAD VST plugins tonight and enabling VST support back in DP and see if it's the same.

(tempted to uncheck MX4 in the audio plugins folder too.. it's the biggest hang on startup for me and I never use it)
sinkd

Post by sinkd »

mrgkeys wrote:SOLVED !!! for me at least... 100% reproducible on my system.. Open the DP Preferences and scroll to Audio Plug-ins. In the list of the plug-ins available at the top should be MAS VST Support. Uncheck it and click done. No need to restart DP. My gigantic template in DP just reloaded all the UAD plugs in the background and works great. Toggle it back on and I get the same MAS errors. I will file this in my MOTU tech link so that they know. It's completely weird.
This solved it for me as well! Thanks!!
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I haven't had any trouble with my UA plugs under 10.13.4 (beta), but just for laughs I decided to uncheck the "MAS VST Support" box to see what happened. My project files now load just about twice as fast as they used to. I'd call this a "best practices" move.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mrgkeys wrote:Speaking of snappy, this fix has halved my DP boot time, couldn't tell you why, because I don't use VSTs in any of the other DAWs I have on my machine, and don't generally install them, except for the installers that don't let you customize the install. My session load times are faster, and overall it absolutely feels more snappy. I'll try removing the UAD VST plugins tonight and enabling VST support back in DP and see if it's the same.
Gravity Jim wrote:I haven't had any trouble with my UA plugs under 10.13.4 (beta), but just for laughs I decided to uncheck the "MAS VST Support" box to see what happened. My project files now load just about twice as fast as they used to. I'd call this a "best practices" move.
Super! Gonna try this as I use AU and MAS exclusively.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

I got UAD to work but even after reload Sierra does not turn off the red RME 800 host light. RME dead. Will call them. Autotune 8.1 not recognized after load, damn. Also, cannot use migration assistant to bring things across from the other drive. I have reloaded everything on the new Sierra drive several times. Must be a trick to it of some sort. DP9.51 works although cannot get back my color scheme from previous. Just goes to show ya its always somethin. :-)
Last edited by Timeline on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

This is a great tip for improved performance in DP.
DP boot time is so fast now.
No VST plugs being used here.
I don't use UAD plugs, but I may at some point.
Thanks to all for this advice.
All is well
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

waterstrum wrote:This is a great tip for improved performance in DP.
DP boot time is so fast now.
No VST plugs being used here.
I don't use UAD plugs, but I may at some point.
Thanks to all for this advice.
Really blows your hair back, no?

Hey, everybody! If you're not using VSTs, uncheck the box for VST support and watch DP spring to life.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

TnMike wrote:I haven’t heard anything recently. I would like to upgrade to High Sierra (for security reasons), but don’t want to lose my UAD plugins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As well as turning off VST, just don't go to 10.13.4 instead go to .3

Use the combo update below to do this once your loaded NOT the update Apple recommends. If you do the Apple update after running High Sierra it will be .4 which almost destroys your ability to use the (anywhere) button, in fact they took it out.

Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 Update - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1954?locale=en_US

All the UADs I own are working, mostly the Precision ones and a few others.
Precision limiter is still an issue when bringing projects over to HS but you can reload the plug in the project in .3. UA is working on this. Not sure if other plugs are not working which I don't have. Lets start a list here on Motunation with OS version of issues.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Just as a point of clarity..... 10.13.4 is still in public beta. 10.13.3 is the latest version available at The App Store.
Jim Bordner

Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Gravity Jim wrote:Just as a point of clarity..... 10.13.4 is still in public beta. 10.13.3 is the latest version available at The App Store.
Righ Jim. It does not work!
tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

This solved my crashes with VEP 6, High Sierra and DP 9.51, (Vienna Ensemble Pro) also.

Turning off VST support in DP Preferences is great tip. Thank you.
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.
dix

Post by dix »

tbrianmann wrote:This solved my crashes with VEP 6, High Sierra and DP 9.51, (Vienna Ensemble Pro) also.

Turning off VST support in DP Preferences is great tip. Thank you.
Big news if true for everyone! MOTU told me at NAMM that DP incompatibility with VEP is (just) one very good reason not to upgrade to HS.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Timeline wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Just as a point of clarity..... 10.13.4 is still in public beta. 10.13.3 is the latest version available at The App Store.
Righ Jim. It does not work!
What doesn't work? I'm lost... Your UAD plugs?
Jim Bordner