High Sierra, DP and UAD Pluggins

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Timeline
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: High Sierra, DP and UAD Pluggins

Post by Timeline »

BFD, some US plugs Authorizations really messed up.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
tbrianmann

Post by tbrianmann »

dix wrote:
tbrianmann wrote:This solved my crashes with VEP 6, High Sierra and DP 9.51, (Vienna Ensemble Pro) also.

Turning off VST support in DP Preferences is great tip. Thank you.
Big news if true for everyone! MOTU told me at NAMM that DP incompatibility with VEP is (just) one very good reason not to upgrade to HS.
Yeah it is working for me and it's been 2 and a half weeks of googling, trying re-installing, etc. It does seem to be related to the way DP and VEP interact around VST.
DP 11.22, MacBook Pro M1 ultra, 64 gig memory Ventura 13.41 VePro7x, Play, Spectrasonics, SLATE Complete, LASS, Native bundle, 8dio, Various Plugs, Waves, Metric Halo Interface.
nickpyo

Post by nickpyo »

Is Motu ever trying to solve this problem? I am trying to move to Logic! I have waited enough.. New mac and new software!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ec_pat5150

Post by ec_pat5150 »

nickpyo wrote:Is Motu ever trying to solve this problem?
Has anyone heard any updates from Motu? I'm having the same issue with DP 9.51 and UAD plug ins with High Sierra 10.13.3.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3, Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt, Digital Performer 10.11
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

I can report that the latest UAD 9.5 software doesn't make any difference with MAS VST Support switched back on. Same crashes. MAS VST Support off works like a charm as before. No crashes. Will try removing the VST plugins after dinner tonight and reenabling VST support to see if it accomplishes the same thing.
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

some more good news, it seems just removing the UAD powered plugins folder from the VST folder and re-enabling MAS VST Support in the plug in preferences, also fixes the UAD AU plugin problem. Until I come across Mac VST that has no AU version, I'll probably just leave VST support unchecked though. This is such a weird problem, I can't even think of why the AUs would even need or reference the VST. I checked for presets lists in a couple of different UAD plugins (1176, LA-2A) and they're all still there.
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

now that I think about this problem, I wonder if it is a hard link vs sym link problem in APFS in 10.13? APFS doesn't do hard links and they should be converted to sym links in 10.13. If so, you'd think UA wouldve corrected this in the 9.5 version release last week.. Or maybe how DP handles the file path?
ec_pat5150

Post by ec_pat5150 »

mrgkeys wrote:some more good news, it seems just removing the UAD powered plugins folder from the VST folder and re-enabling MAS VST Support in the plug in preferences, also fixes the UAD AU plugin problem.
Could you please explain how to do this?
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3, Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt, Digital Performer 10.11
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

nickpyo wrote:Is Motu ever trying to solve this problem? I am trying to move to Logic! I have waited enough.. New mac and new software!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, MOTU wants to fix it. No, "ever trying" is the wrong phrase because this has only been a problem for short while.

If it can even be considered a problem at all, seeing as the solution has been described in detail many times in this thread, and even makes DP run better for people who aren't seeing the problem.

So what's left to complain about?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

ec_pat5150 wrote:
mrgkeys wrote:some more good news, it seems just removing the UAD powered plugins folder from the VST folder and re-enabling MAS VST Support in the plug in preferences, also fixes the UAD AU plugin problem.
Could you please explain how to do this?
He just did.

1. Remove all UAD plug-ins from the system by deleting the folder Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Universal Audio > UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins. (This removes all the VST versions of the UAD plug-ins.)

2. Turn VST Support back "on" in DP's Preferences.

The only reason to do this is if you are running VST plugs alongside AU plugs (which I guess is possible, but I'm not interested in introducing the problems that may arise from such a set-up). If you're only running AU plugs, then just turn VST Support "off" and begin enjoying the faster launch and loading times.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
soundgeeza
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by soundgeeza »

I can confirm that the following cured the same issue with UAD 9.7.1 on High Sierra.
Googling this saved me a lot of pain - cheers!

Here is the workaround I received from MOTU tech support and it worked:

Digital Performer and Universal Audio Workaround fix for UAD plug-ins on macOS High Sierra
1.) Run the UAD 9.4 installer. Restart the computer. If this is the first time running the UAD installer, make sure to enable the UAD driver in System Preferences, Security & Privacy.
2.) Open the Applications folder and drag the Digital Performer application to the trash. If you have multiple versions of DP, be sure to drag all versions to the trash.
3.) Hold the Option Key while clicking on the Finder's "GO" drop-down menu, select Library, then open the Preferences folder. Find the com.motu.MotuAudioSystem folder and drag it to the trash. Empty the trash.
4.) Download the DP 9.51 installer available at motu.com/downloads and run the installer.
5.) Find the VST folder (System HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/) and rename the folder to anything other than “VST” (for example, “VST_temp”).
Your Audio Unit UAD plug-ins will now be available in Digital Performer.