DP latency issue when recording master audio file

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
goosetunes
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP latency issue when recording master audio file

Post by goosetunes »

Anyone have a suggestion for how to eliminate a latency issue in DP 9.5. When I record a 5.1 or final stereo master audio track of my overall project mix, the audio in the new master file is delayed by about 1/4 of a frame from all the individual audio tracks in my mix. May not sound like enough of an offset to matter to the human ear, but I have a TV network QC department that's telling me that my audio is ending a frame past the "00" frame of the 1st frame of black... my final audio needs to not cross into the first frame of black. And sure enough, when I zoom into my master audio file in the sequence window, I can see the delay in the waveform, which causes the file to be 1/4 frame longer than the project audio. (Hope this is making sense).

I'm running an OS X 10.11.6 MacPro (2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon.... 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC) with my project buffer size set to 1024, which is the highest DP will allow... the higher options are grayed out. Never experienced this issue before and have checked all my plugins for latency issues by bypassing them to see if the problem went away, but it doesn't.... my newly recorded audio track remains delayed by 1/4 of a frame.

Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated on how to fix this issue! :banghead:
Last edited by goosetunes on Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
DP 9.52, MachFive 3, MX4, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, PLAY, 828mk3 Hybrid FW-USB2, 8-Pre, MIDI Express XT, Mid-2012 MacPro 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 64 GB RAM, Graphics Radeon RX 580 8192 MB, OSX 10.14.6.
cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP latency issue when recording master audio file

Post by cuttime »

This is a bit O.T., and I apologize for not being helpful, but I work for a semi-major TV network, and can't fathom why this would be a problem. Our QC folks would let it slide, and for that matter, I don't think they would even be able to detect it. The joke around here is that "Quality Control" is there to detect quality and stamp it out whenever it raises its ugly head.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
goosetunes

Post by goosetunes »

Ok cuttime, that's funny! Yes, this is a bit annoying and seems so nit picky... but technically, DP should keep my master audio recordings precisely in sync with my mix audio. I really need to solve the mystery or at least be able to explain why it's happening.

Any other thoughts or suggestions from the board?
DP 9.52, MachFive 3, MX4, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, PLAY, 828mk3 Hybrid FW-USB2, 8-Pre, MIDI Express XT, Mid-2012 MacPro 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 64 GB RAM, Graphics Radeon RX 580 8192 MB, OSX 10.14.6.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Only shooting in the dark, here.
This may be an issue with a third party plugin not reporting latency in DP accurately.
To make sure about that, I would try disabling plugins one by one, and watch results by zooming in audio files.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
goosetunes

Post by goosetunes »

Thanks for the suggestion, but have already tried disabling plug-ins one by one and this did not fix the issue.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Is there something different about the way delay compensation works on the master compared to other channels? I remember something along those line, but not exactly what. You could try routing outputs to an Aux, and from there to the Master, and drag the plugins from Master to Aux. Then record from the Aux.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8