Some MIDI notes not playing

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
toni_bena
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Some MIDI notes not playing

Post by toni_bena »

Hello
I have a problem with a MIDI track, where some notes are not playing from an specific bar (53). Before bar 53 all notes are playing, but from bar 53 some notes do not sound (but some they do!). Getting crazy with it... :banghead:
I have tried turn pre-gen on/off, change the VI, also running same project on Win and Mac computers with same behavoiur. Happens in 9.5 and also 9.13. Also copy/paste track on a new project. Copy / paste on a new chunck. Nothing.
The only way to make all notes sound is to shorten its lenght. None of these notes are overlapping, these were painted with pencil tool (not played with keyboard).
Any idea about what can cause this and how to fix?
Thanks a lot in advance.
Windows 10 Pro x64 / ASUS P5Q PRO / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 8 Gb Ram DDR2 800Mhz / NVIDIA GeForce GT520 / 2 x WD 500 Mb / CD-DVD RW PLEXTOR / RME FF400
stubbsonic

Re: Some MIDI notes not playing

Post by stubbsonic »

EDITED FOR CLARITY:
This is a known "bug" with DP. When you have two notes of the same pitch in a series, where the first note ends and the second note starts on the same tick-- which happens from quantizing note start & ends, or painting notes, after the first note plays, DP will prioritize and play the 2nd note-on first, then it will play the first note-off after that, so the second note is cut off short. It's dumb.

The fix is easy though. Either you can select all and CHANGE DURATION by 1 tick, Or just insert a CHANGE DURATION plug-in to your MIDI track to subtract 1 tick (add neg 1 tick). In the mixer view, you can then option-drag to copy that insert to all your MIDI tracks and be done with it.

I have new DP templates that include that insert to subtract one tick from duration on all MIDI tracks by default.

Not sure what version this "feature" was introduced, but I feel like I've been working around it for quite some years now. Maybe since v8?
Last edited by stubbsonic on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dumb? OK. MOTU may not have chosen the best way to deal with a situation where an instrument is told to play the same note at the same time twice on the same MIDI channel. It can either give the first note in the Event list priority, or the second note priority. Either way creates confusion in various situations, but I like the way it works now, rather than the way it worked around V6 or 7. Having both notes play at once isn't a solution with most VIs, and doesn't happen in most real instruments.

KCS had a "hocketing" option which automatically shifted the second note to the next MIDI channel. If the start and stop times of the notes really matter, maybe there is a way to globally select the notes in question (Shooshie could probably figure it out), and shift them to another channel.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

bayswater wrote:Dumb? OK. MOTU may not have chosen the best way to deal with a situation where an instrument is told to play the same note at the same time twice on the same MIDI channel. It can either give the first note in the Event list priority, or the second note priority. Either way creates confusion in various situations, but I like the way it works now, rather than the way it worked around V6 or 7. Having both notes play at once isn't a solution with most VIs, and doesn't happen in most real instruments.
You're either not describing the issue clearly, or you're not understanding what this is.

When DP plays two MIDI note events of the same pitch "X", where the first note ends at the same time that the second note begins, it can process the associated note-ons and note-offs in one of two orders. Just notice what happens on beat 2 (1|2|000)

The older non-problematic way:

1|1|000 1Note X On
1|2|000 1Note X Off
1|2|000 2Note X On
1|3|000 2Note X Off

The current dumb way:
1|1|000 1Note X On
1|2|000 2Note X On
1|2|000 1Note X Off
1|3|000 2Note X Off

In the first case, we get two full quarter notes. In the second case we get one quarter note, and one note that ends the very same moment it begins. Because DP prioritizes Note Ons over Note Offs that are on the same tick, it prevents proper playback.

So actually, it is the 2nd case above in which you have a VI being asked to play two notes of the same pitch on the same channel, not the first case.

If DP's quantizing of note ends, or painting of notes always removed a tick of duration, we wouldn't have a problem. Or, if DP simply prioritized note-offs when processing MIDI events on the same tick, again, we wouldn't have a problem.

I don't know what problem the change was intending to fix.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

toni_bena

Post by toni_bena »

Thanks for answering. I will check and advise on results. What seems strange to me is this happening only from bar 53. All notes before are played OK. All notes behind not.
Thanks again.
Windows 10 Pro x64 / ASUS P5Q PRO / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2.66GHz 8 Gb Ram DDR2 800Mhz / NVIDIA GeForce GT520 / 2 x WD 500 Mb / CD-DVD RW PLEXTOR / RME FF400
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It will only happen if when the two notes are on the same pitch. So perhaps at m53, something about the part has changed.

Or perhaps you did something different where the note ends where not at the same time as note ons.

toni_bena

Post by toni_bena »

Deducting 1 tick to note duration has worked. Thanks a lot.