DP 9.5 Crash when trying to "Save As"

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Continuousdata
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 9.5 Crash when trying to "Save As"

Post by Continuousdata »

This morning I woke up to DP 9.5 suddenly not able to do a "Save As". After 3 calls to Tech support, it appears that this is an ongoing problem which does not have a solution. Has anyone else run into this problem?
10.10.5 iMac
DP 9.5
bayswater

Re: DP 9.5 Crash when trying to "Save As"

Post by bayswater »

Yes, a few of us have noticed this. In my case, it was only a problem in project with very large audio files. The same project saved OK when the audio files were trimmed. Have a look at a recent topic with "null pointer" in the name.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Continuousdata

Post by Continuousdata »

Yes, thank you I have looked at that topic. This appears to be something different. Regardless of the size or even the existence of audio files, this problem is occurring. MOTU is aware of it.

It may be connected to using OS 10.10.5 with DP. I have not updated beyond OS 10.10.5 as I was concerned about incompatibilities with particular third party plug ins and VIs. Is there anyone else using 10.10.5 and DP 9.5 who is experiencing this Save As issue?
10.10.5 iMac
DP 9.5
arielband

Post by arielband »

I just started having the same problem today. I'm was running DP 8 and mac 10.10.5 because it was totally stable. MOTU support checked out my situation and told me that it was a mac problem (surprise-surprise) and that I needed to update my mac to 10.11 and/or update to DP 9 which "would cure the problem". Apple support won't update my computer to 11 anymore (it's too new to be updated to 11 !?!?) and they can ONLY update my mac to 10.13 which is a no-go for many reasons. I bought and installed the update to DP (bybye $195) and I'm having the exact same problem. I'm afraid that I'm totally screwed... I'm in the middle of a big project : (
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I'm running 9.5 with OS 10.8.5 and I'm not seeing any issues. Does the same thing happen if you "Save a Copy As..."?

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

arielband wrote:I just started having the same problem today. I'm was running DP 8 and mac 10.10.5 because it was totally stable. MOTU support checked out my situation and told me that it was a mac problem (surprise-surprise) and that I needed to update my mac to 10.11 and/or update to DP 9 which "would cure the problem". Apple support won't update my computer to 11 anymore (it's too new to be updated to 11 !?!?) and they can ONLY update my mac to 10.13 which is a no-go for many reasons. I bought and installed the update to DP (bybye $195) and I'm having the exact same problem. I'm afraid that I'm totally screwed... I'm in the middle of a big project : (
El Capitan is available at Amazon, if that helps.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0776 ... IGJY&psc=1

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Sierra is also available. Recommended over High Sierra at this point (still a little early in the upgrade cycle to move to HS in my opinion - moving files into a new file system is a big deal), Sierra has been very solid for me with DP9. Apple is still supporting with security updates.

If you know where to look, you can still download macOS Sierra 10.12 .dmg directly from Mac App Store:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-s ... 7414?mt=12
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Moving from Sierra to High Sierra was not a big deal. The file format is the same, but the disk structure has changed, as I understand it.

BTW, I'm running DP 9.51 under Mac OSX 10.13.2 (dev beta) and it runs without complaint. I did a Save As just yesterday and it just did it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
arielband

Post by arielband »

Thanks for all your replies!
Buzzy, I get the same crash with "save a copy as". I also can't open a new empty file...
I found a 10.11 install locally (I'm in Costa Rica) and I'm now downloading it and I'm hoping that, after I install it, I'll be back to work.
HCMarcus, thanks for the link for Sierra. I now know that I have to download and archive all the new OS versions, even if I don't intend to install them, because I may change my mind in the future and they may no longer be available.