Click to Audition Notes in MIDI Editor

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Click to Audition Notes in MIDI Editor

Post by bayswater »

Has this function changed in DP 9? I generally expect to hear a MIDI note when I click on it, or on the keyboard strip on the left of the MIDI editor. I've always taken it for granted and don't recall ever having to do any setup in advance.

Editing a 16 track all MIDI project yesterday, things started out that way. All 16 tracks play a piano VI. All outputs work, all have inputs, Audible mode is on, the VI responds to a keyboard, playback from the transport works, etc.

At some point the click stopped working on some tracks. That has happened now and then in the past, and saving, quitting and reopening the project has always made this function work again. But this time it didn't.

Clicking on a note worked in some tracks and not others, and not in any consistent way. If the track is in record mode, the click works, but I don't recall having to put all tracks into record mode when editing MIDI in the past.

Anyone else seeing this inconsistency? Maybe I need a refresh on what has to be turned on/off etc to get this to work consistently.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Click to Audition Notes in MIDI Editor

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote:If the track is in record mode, the click works, but I don't recall having to put all tracks into record mode when editing MIDI in the past.

Anyone else seeing this inconsistency? Maybe I need a refresh on what has to be turned on/off etc to get this to work consistently.
This is normal behavior and been this way since pre-gen was introduced. Record-enabling a MIDI track puts the VI targeted by that track into real-time mode.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

James Steele wrote:
bayswater wrote:If the track is in record mode, the click works, but I don't recall having to put all tracks into record mode when editing MIDI in the past.

This is normal behavior and been this way since pre-gen was introduced. Record-enabling a MIDI track puts the VI targeted by that track into real-time mode.
I guess I missed that memo. So click to audition MIDI only works in real-time: another sticky for the monitor.

Thanks.
dix

Post by dix »

James Steele wrote:This is normal behavior and been this way since pre-gen was introduced. Record-enabling a MIDI track puts the VI targeted by that track into real-time mode.
Huh? No. In 9.5 (and always as I recall) I can click on any note in the ME or SE and hear the note regardless of whether the track, or any track is record enabled.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dix wrote:
James Steele wrote:This is normal behavior and been this way since pre-gen was introduced. Record-enabling a MIDI track puts the VI targeted by that track into real-time mode.
Huh? No. In 9.5 (and always as I recall) I can click on any note in the ME or SE and hear the note regardless of whether the track, or any track is record enabled.
Yes, but there are other ways to get things to run in real time. I can get it to work consistently if the VI is open. I've left the VI windows open on a second screen and that makes it work. The reason I had some tracks working without record enabling and others not working is that I had some instances of the VI open and others closed. So I'm happy to get it working consistently.
dix

Post by dix »

Maybe I don’t understand the problem. I can click and hear notes when the VI is closed regardless of the record enable statis. I’m running 9.5 so the VIs are definitely running in pre-gen.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Maybe they've improved this in newer version of pregen. When it was first introduced you had to have the VI in realtime mode.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dix

Post by dix »

Ah. That’s true. I always disabled pregen globally back when that was an option, so I guess they improved it.