How to conform 23.976 fps Project to 24 fps ?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Scorer
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How to conform 23.976 fps Project to 24 fps ?

Post by Scorer »

Hi,

I have a DP project here that was set up and finished at 23.976.

We now want to export the exact same sequence at 24 fps, which should shorten the overall duration of the sequence a tiny bit.

How can this be done in DP 9.5 ?

I duplicated the project, then opened it, and changed the frame rate setting top of the window to from 23.976 to 24.

This did not adjust the sequence correctly.

Any guidance ?

Thanks !!!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How to conform 23.976 fps Project to 24 fps ?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Frame rate is simply that: the rate that frames of the movie are displayed. It doesn't change the realtime performance of the MIDI and audio. Once the horses are out of the barn (the score is done) changing the frame rate is not a quick fix to get the soundtrack to conform to the new rate.

I suppose the "easiest" way to change duration is to make a mix of the complete track and stretch it manually in some reliable app, such as the IRCAM app. DP 9.5 has good time stretching so you might try that. Depending on how much you have to change, and how long the film in question is, you might hear artifacts.

You could also go into the region commands and scale time, but that won't change audio files, just MIDI files.

THere's no easy fix, AFAIK. Not that fixing it is that hard, but you will probably spend a lot of time doing this to get it perfect.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

fortunately, u are wrong on this one MLC ;-)

conforming is very common, especially when u have to go DCP, which is 24p.

But it appears like DP does not offer a set of post production tools to do that. PT does. Simply import master track and use the pull up 0.1% preset. done. takes 2 mins.

2-pop matches perfectly.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Scorer wrote:Simply import master track and use the pull up 0.1% preset. done. takes 2 mins.

2-pop matches perfectly.
You mean import the flattened stereo master (or whatever format) with video into PT and choose a preset that "pulls up" the track by 0.1%? Isn't that just audio (and video) stretching? You could use Apple's Compressor to do this too. That's what I do.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
Scorer

Post by Scorer »

Steve Steele wrote:
Scorer wrote:Simply import master track and use the pull up 0.1% preset. done. takes 2 mins.

2-pop matches perfectly.
You mean import the flattened stereo master (or whatever format) with video into PT and choose a preset that "pulls up" the track by 0.1%? Isn't that just audio (and video) stretching? You could use Apple's Compressor to do this too. That's what I do.
yeah, this here is just about audio. to conform from 23.976 to 24, like when doing a DCP release.

not sure if Compressor does audio, but PT has dedicated presets that do all of the xx.976 conversions to integer frame rates (or vice versa)... same when going from PAL to NTSC and vice versa...

would be great if MOTU added any of these features, this is needed often...
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

Scorer wrote:
Steve Steele wrote:

2-pop matches perfectly.
yeah, this here is just about audio. to conform from 23.976 to 24, like when doing a DCP release.

not sure if Compressor does audio, but PT has dedicated presets that do all of the xx.976 conversions to integer frame rates (or vice versa)... same when going from PAL to NTSC and vice versa...

would be great if MOTU added any of these features, this is needed often...
I see your point about Compressot making the adjust to the video but perhaps not the audio. Seems like it would.

I’d be glad to try it out if you if you have a 23.976 audio file (or movie with audio) and don’t already own Compressor. Send it to me if you like (Dropbox or however you like).

In these situations is it customary for the DP user to deliver to 24FPS audio or is it usually converted by the mixer (who owns Pro Tools)? I don’t know, (obviously!) I’d be curios to find out.

Steve

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE