Theme edit help needed...

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Theme edit help needed...

Post by labman »

How can we change the basic marker color from Yellow? (not the streamers but the regular marker)

Or what parameter can we edit inside a theme. I can't see the yellow line on many themes.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Theme edit help needed...

Post by bayswater »

If you Show Package Contents in the DP app, you will see this file:

/Applications/Digital Performer.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Images/kMarkerDragCursor.png

There are probably more in there that make up the set of images for markers, but they probably all have the word Marker in the name.

There are these too, in the same folder:

lockedMarkerCicn.png
markerCicn.png
wideMarkerCicn.png

If you open that folder in icon view and zoom the icon size, that makes it easier to find things because you already know what they look like.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

too cool Bays. Thanks for the fast help.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:If you Show Package Contents in the DP app, you will see this file:

/Applications/Digital Performer.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Images/kMarkerDragCursor.png

There are probably more in there that make up the set of images for markers, but they probably all have the word Marker in the name.

There are these too, in the same folder:

lockedMarkerCicn.png
markerCicn.png
wideMarkerCicn.png

If you open that folder in icon view and zoom the icon size, that makes it easier to find things because you already know what they look like.
Awesome!

And then what? What follows?
Do I open any of those icons in a graphs app such as Preview, change it there and then simply replace it?

I would LOVE to be able to make the GE and SE grid lines and measure lines MUCH DARKER. Can I change that too the way you described?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:And then what? What follows?
Do I open any of those icons in a graphs app such as Preview, change it there and then simply replace it?

I would LOVE to be able to make the GE and SE grid lines and measure lines MUCH DARKER. Can I change that too the way you described?
I edit these in GraphicConverter, but other image editors should work. The usual warnings apply. Make backups, keep originals, etc.

I don't know if you can do the specific changes to grid and measure lines. It involves going through the zillions of little files inside the packages and trying to figure out which ones control the objects you want to edit. Some are image files, but others are .xml files that specify text and colours etc., you edit the codes for the colour.

Some of these files will be in the Theme packages, so it takes a long time to find all the stuff you might want to change. I expect the colour specs for screen objects that are not images are in the Themes

If you spend 15 minutes looking through this, you can see why Andy wanted to stop working on it.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

FMiguelez wrote:
Perhaps in the .XML file: change the color value for kRulerBackgroundColor : and also for kHorizontalRulerTick _

This may not be exactly that but may contribute to a graphical change in the SE, Waveform and Tracks windows.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote: If you spend 15 minutes looking through this, you can see why Andy wanted to stop working on it.
OMG! I totally see what you mean.
I did and it almost gave me a headache. One can get lost and spend so much time on these things!
corbo-billy wrote: Perhaps in the .XML file: change the color value for kRulerBackgroundColor : and also for kHorizontalRulerTick _

This may not be exactly that but may contribute to a graphical change in the SE, Waveform and Tracks windows.
Thank you for this, corbo-billy!

I'll see if that works. If it does, you will have saved me lots of looking-around time :)

Otherwise, it would be nice if MOTU retouched the dark themes, which present the problem I mentioned about grid lines having too little contrast against the dark backgrounds.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

FMiguelez wrote: I'll see if that works. If it does, you will have saved me lots of looking-around time :)
Also look at changing the values of kkContentBackgroundLine (in .xml file) , corresponding more to your search .
It's change line's color in the Tracks, MIDI, Drum, Sequence and Waveform windows : it's not easy because this settings are too "general" .
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

bayswater wrote:
If you spend 15 minutes looking through this, you can see why Andy wanted to stop working on it.
Yes - a world of pain - see my earlier posts on converting Mellow to DP9 and 9.5 and for Mac 5K settings. A lot can be done with either the png files (using Paint or Graphic Converter or even Preview) or the text file where you can change colours using the RGB values.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

My own edits are restricted to a few contrast tweaks on existing themes.

Harrison has included a preference panel in Mixbus that lists hundreds of screen elements with a colour patch setting, along with an overall colour pallet and setting for transparency. That might seems like theme nirvana, but it's really just a deeper pit of frustration because a change of one element can make other elements worse, or make them disappear altogether. I found that in DP -- making a few colour changes to make the TO and SE easier to navigate made the Drum Editor unusable.

The real work that MOTU and some members here have done is in coming up with an overall design that works, and works on all the screens.