Wrong speed, iMac / DP / AVB

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
EMRR
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Wrong speed, iMac / DP / AVB

Post by EMRR »

I see this occasionally, and it's more of an observation than an active troubleshooting concern. I think it would take better implementation in code, so out of our hands.

On my system at least, if you open a session that's at a different rate than the AVB interface is set for, it usually hangs, but not always. Communication between DP on my iMac and AVB over sample rate is not good, very rarely does DP dictate a changing rate and AVB follows. Usually sorting the rate, closing DP, resetting it in AVB, then reopening DP is the path. Sometimes Mac or AVB need a hard reboot to de-confuse themselves.

If it does open, you can chase you tail trying to get AVB / DP / AudioMIDI to all move to the same sample rate. Change one, to agree with the others, I may find another one has changed in response and they still disagree. Likely DP will give up and shut down MOTU Audio System in response and change to MIDI ONLY.

What rarely happens is they somehow sync at different rates, and you have shifted audio. I've seen this maybe 4 times in as many years. Yesterday I had time to experiment, and found the overall system would appear normal and play/record with AVB and DP both saying 48K, yet AudioMIDI was set on 44K1, so audio was slow and low in pitch. This shouldn't happen, but.....

FWIW, YMMV.....
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing