9.5 Pitch Issue

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

9.5 Pitch Issue

Post by HCMarkus »

Opened project that was created in 9.13 (which still plays back properly in 9.13) in 9.5. Starting at a point where I edited the pitch of a vocal track and lasting for several measures thereafter, all of the notes in the following soundbites were transposed. I tried "Clear Pitch" but could not clear the transposition.

Reverted to 9.13 and issue was not present.

Reported to MOTU.
cuttime

Re: 9.5 Pitch Issue

Post by cuttime »

I would try DP9.5 Preferences>Play and Record>Audio Options>Default Transpose Mode>No pitch Shift (or perhaps some other setting).
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

I've experienced the same issue here.

A couple of CD projects created in 9.13 are doing weird pitch behaviors on several tracks.
I suspect it is due to the new pitch shifting features.

For archival and retrieval purposes, I recommend having a older version of DP on tap.
My hope is that 9.5.1 will reconcile the issue.
All is well
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

I've also experienced the same unpredictable pitch issues. It didn't transpose the entire track, just parts of a merged vocal take. It only happened once or twice. Since then things have settled down, but this is definitely a bug that could come up to bite you!
buzzsmith

9.5 Pitch Issue

Post by buzzsmith »

Weird. I was just getting ready to look for one of my older posts regarding the pitch blocks.

Sometimes, if I start prior to an area with several corrections, it seems OK.

If I start nearer to the corrected area, I hear some anomalies. Or vice versa.

Can't really trust this right now.

I fought this for three hours today.

Didn't have time to try opening in my earlier version of DP.

Buzzy

(I'll see if I can't find my older post to review it.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I opened a TechLink with MOTU and the tech requested a copy of the subject file. I have yet to have the chance to put a pared-down copy together for MOTU, as the file size is 6+ GB.

I tried "Loading" the project into 9.5... DP crashed.

I'd encourage folks who have experienced his issue to open tech links and share problem files so MOTU can diagnose and rectify.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
MW1

Post by MW1 »

Yes, I've also been bitten by this. Whenever I use the pencil tool to make an edit the pitch information for the rest of the soundbite goes crazy - in my case, usually sharp by two or three semitones which makes editing impossible.

I hope MOTU sorts this out quick!

MW
muscletn

Post by muscletn »

Pencil tool completely unreliable with edit grid checked or unchecked.
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I too had strange issues.
1st off, I have to switch from 9.5 to 9.07 because stupid 9.02 to 9.5 screws up automation and plays automation back inconsistently. So I have to mix in 8.02 , and, before going back to 8, I have to erase muted mid notes, which will show in 8 as ON.

So in doing this, I noticed pitch automation data was gone. I could find it. But...I couldn’t remember if I had merged the files, (which would have shown no automation after the merge). So I figured I had merged the files and started to refine pitch more. Then, later in the song, when I try to edit one segment of a phrase, all segment would suddenly jump and all go red and move a bit. I am not sure if this is n error unto itself, or, if nudging a piece of a phrase “woke” DP up, and made it show previous automation that had turned off on its own due to some sort of bug. Either way, something is weird with automation and UN trustworthy in the new DP upgrade. This sucks when one bills by the hour and isn’t sure if prior work is getting lost. yikes.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Just finished a project in 9.5 that had originated in 9.13.

Too late to change anything now, but the pitch anomalies created something extraordinary that I would never have planned.

8 tracks of back ups against 8 tracks of other back up vocals at a junction point.
Stravinsky would be proud.
A moment of tension beyond my wildest dreams.

I'm sure MOTU will fix the problem, but for me, this was a great unintended consequence.
Good news, bad news... who knows?

My thanks to MOTU and all of the wonderful people posting here.
All is well
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I submitted a stripped-down file to MOTU via DropBox on Thursday. I again encourage others to do the same so MOTU can wipe this bug out for us. The subject project plays back properly in 9.13, but not in 9.5. If saved in 9.5, it no longer plays back correctly in 9.13.

In my TechLink, Andrew noted as follows:
Pitch data needs to be converted when opening in 9.5 for the first time. This is due to the expanded pitch features in 9.5.

As such, folks wanting to use DP 9.5 on projects started in 9.13 should probably do a Save As before working in 9.5 to preserve the un-converted 9.13 file. Unless you are a really big fan of Stravinsky.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus wrote:Unless you are a really big fan of Stravinsky.
Bartok? I bet I'll still be okay. ;)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

HCMarkus wrote:I have yet to have the chance to put a pared-down copy together for MOTU, as the file size is 6+ GB.
Try out the operation on the pared-down copy before you send it. I've had problems in 9.5 with various edits when the original audio file is in the 5-9 GB range. Usually, the result is that no change is actually made despite everything looking fine, other times I've had an error message. I'm wondering if 9.5 has introduced some problems with very large audio files.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

bayswater wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:I have yet to have the chance to put a pared-down copy together for MOTU, as the file size is 6+ GB.
Try out the operation on the pared-down copy before you send it.
I did before I sent it off. The issue persists in the pared-down file. I believe the problem lies in the "pitch data conversion" described by MOTU.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
MW1

Post by MW1 »

Considering the whole point of DP 9.5 was to introduce these new 'improved' pitch features I have to say I'm amazed that MOTU didn't pick up such a whopper in their testing.

I sent a report and a link to this thread to MOTU support - let's hope they are aware of the issue by now.