Can'r "Save As"- Internal Program Error (null pointer -108)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ghobish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can'r "Save As"- Internal Program Error (null pointer -108)

Post by ghobish »

I have a session that cannot be "Save(d) As... (Duplicate audio and shared samples to project)" to a different disk. I get an OS error:

"Internal Program Error (null pointer) (-108)"

I have no problem saving the project file in it's current location, or just the project file (i.e., Save As with no audio) to the other location.

I'm on Sierra 10.12.6 on a MacPro 5,1; the error happens with both DP 9.5 and DP 9.13.

I was able to do the Save As with audio operation on several other projects earlier today to and from the same locations. Obviously it has something to do with the audio files; there was one source file that was over 2GB but I split them did a merge and removed unused soundbites from the Soundbites window, but that did not help.

Suggestions?
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
FMiguelez

Re: Can'r "Save As"- Internal Program Error (null pointer -1

Post by FMiguelez »

It sounds like you don't have the required permissions to write to the other disk location.

If you select the disk and press Get Info, at the bottom of the opening window there's a command that reads something like "Ignore Ownership in this Disk". That should let you save DP files there.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

FMiguelez wrote:It sounds like you don't have the required permissions to write to the other disk location.
I Save As... to this location all the time. It's just this one project. (Plus like I said I was able to save just the project file there with no audio). Not a permissions issue, at least not on the receiving end.

FWIW, I am also able to direct copy the project folder from the source disk to the copy location.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

This has been associated with too many clippings. Deleting the Clippings Folder often clears this up.

Hmmmm... figured this would have been fixed in 9.5 — unless that isn't it, in which case it is normally permissions and privileges on the remote drive.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

ghobish wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:It sounds like you don't have the required permissions to write to the other disk location.
I Save As... to this location all the time. It's just this one project. (Plus like I said I was able to save just the project file there with no audio). Not a permissions issue, at least not on the receiving end.

FWIW, I am also able to direct copy the project folder from the source disk to the copy location.
Even if you can write to that disk from the Finder or any other app, DP occasionally has this problem.
This happened with my Audio disk, and it was the only way for it to accept DP files.

I THINK you can try the command I mentioned safely and you could revert it to the way you have it if that doesn't work.

What do you think, Mike? It's safe, isn't it?
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

FMiguelez wrote:
ghobish wrote:

Even if you can write to that disk from the Finder or any other app, DP occasionally has this problem.
This happened with my Audio disk, and it was the only way for it to accept DP files.

I THINK you can try the command I mentioned safely and you could revert it to the way you have it if that doesn't work.

What do you think, Mike? It's safe, isn't it?

I will try this to see if it changes anything, but again, I wrote DP files to this both before and after the procedure failed with this on projects. I write to this disc from DP all the time- my archive folder for completed projects is there.
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

ghobish

Post by ghobish »

OK, cleared clippings folders (don't use them often) , tried "ignore permissions" and also tried saving to several other discs. It is not a permissions issue

Ran it down... I only thought I had deleted the >2GB file. It's still used in the sequence, that had to be it. I merged into smaller pieces and now it copies fine.

But thank you guys for playing our game!
Gary Hobish
San Francisco, Ca

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I had this problem on a project today. I tried the permissions options on the project drive, both making everything readable and writable by anyone, and bypassing permissions, and removed all clippings. None of this worked to allow Save Copy, and none of the techniques to compact the project worked.

I think it had to do with very audio large files. I had three of them about 7-8 Gb each, all recorded in DP. All the smaller audio files had the WAVE Audio File type, but these larger files were labeled as GEN824 and had a .w64 extension. The Soundbite window reported them as WAVE, same as the smaller files. I extracted the portions I wanted to keep and used merge soundbites to create smaller file, exported and imported these, and ended up with a manageable project that could be saved.

This problem didn't happen with DP 8 which I used to record and process an earlier version of the same project with similarly sized files. So it looks like something is happening in DP9 that creates problems in the way it deals with very large audio files, even though DP recorded them.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8