DP 9.5 Playback Overload Spikes Crash

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Splinter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 9.5 Playback Overload Spikes Crash

Post by Splinter »

Had the same problem in 9.13 and 9.12. 9.5 plays for a minute with 2048 buffer setting at 48kHz and CPU usage around 60%, then the playback starts to just up and down then slams at no particular part of the song. Last time I tried, the song played all the way through and about 20 measures after all the soundbites finished playback slammed and the wouldn't go down even when stopped. Processor would spike too. Checked the effects performance window and most plugins were slammed. Help! DP has become unusable!

MacBook Pro Quad 2.4GHz i7 • 10.12 • 16G RAM • DP 9 • MOTU 896HD Hybrid, Apogee Duet, & MOTU Micro Lite MIDI interface • Waves Platinum, Studio Classics Collection, Abbey Road, etc... • Fabfilter Pro-Q2 • Soundtoys FX • IK Amplitube 3, Ampeg, and TRacks 3 • Altiverb 7 • Slate Digital Everything Bundle • Stylus RMX • Komplete 10 • SampleTank 3 • Arturia V Collection • M-Audio Axiom 49
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 9.5 Playback Overload Spikes Crash

Post by David Polich »

For EVERY project? Or just a few?

If it is every project, then you need to delete DP from your drive entirely and re-install it. Something is corrupted.

If it is just a few, take note of the following - WHAT plugs and VI's are you running, if any, your normal BUFFER setting for recording and for playback, and how many tracks you have in the
project. Is it possible to still drive DP into crashland? yes it is.

Here is an example - Omnisphere is an absolute CPU gobbler. One should never run more than one instance of it, ever. I never do. It is just too taxing. I've also seen reports of people running multiple instances of Kontakt, several other VI's, fifteen aux busses and 200 tracks. That is a recipe for disaster right there. Also, trying to enable or disable a track while playback is engaged is a bad idea, that can cause problems. That's like changing a front tire while the car is still moving.

Also...last but not least - you need to rule out your audio interface as the culprit. I had an old firewire Apogee Duet (the first one) that started to "go south" early this year, and that manifested as all kinds of problems, similar to the ones you mentioned. It just kept losing sync with my Mac,
it was unpredicatble, and when it did it would often not only corrupt the audio on most tracks in the sequence, any of those tracks exported and then loaded back into a new project would "bring along" the corruption with them.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com