RESOLVED: TimewARP 2600 freezes up on re-auth page (new mac)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

RESOLVED: TimewARP 2600 freezes up on re-auth page (new mac)

Post by mhschmieder »

TimewARP 2600 hasn't worked as an Audio Unit for MANY years now, in ANY DAW host that I try it in, but I was able to get VST to work, until switching computers a few months ago.

The website responds properly for the new authorization handshake (these are tied to a specific computer -- I wish they had gone to iLok). But the authorization page itself freezes up after typing in the auth code, refusing to advance to the next page or to complete.

I use this VI more than any other, when it comes to synth work. I may need to find a way to use it in demo mode, if possible, as its GUI won't even come up and run with blip sounds either. If I can one-by-one transfer my presets to Arturia's emulation, perhaps that will get me unstuck.

The vendor is unresponsive, and yet this product has gone on sale this week!
Last edited by mhschmieder on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Re: TimewARP 2600 freezes up on re-auth page (new computer)

Post by mhschmieder »

That's strange; it IS an iLok license, and I should (but don't) have two of them due to a redundant buy as part of a SONiVOX package deal last year.

Way Out Ware's other product (also excellent), KikAXXE, stopped working for me eons ago. Like, when I went to my now-mothballed 2010 MacPro!

Did TimeWARP 2600 ever go 64-bits? Maybe the issue is with the converted 64-bit version, if I used 32 Lives -- although I seem to recall that 32 Lives only works on AU's and not VST's, and as the VST is the only version that doesn't crash DP and other DAW's, I guess they did go 64-bits.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

What a waste of an hour. I found my old emails from 2014, when the vendor was still responsive, and re-tried all of those steps, to no avail.

I even used PlistEditPro to manually copy the new registration code into com.wayoutware.timewarpbndl.plist, and also set read/write access to "everyone" in case there were privileges issues.

The authorization window still brings up my old computer ID, which may be the source of the problem, but I can't find any other plist files that might contain that info and also didn't see it in the details section of my iLok license.

It doesn't matter if I use the old registration code or the new one, or how I go about it -- the authorization page stays stuck when I hit "OK", with no hidden windows, no errors, or anything else.

That is NOT the behaviour I was dealing with in 2014, but likely is due either to it staying stuck on the old computer ID (I had to choose a new computer ID when I went to their webpage to try getting a new registration code after the old one froze up the auth page), or maybe an indication that Sierra and/or the 2017 iMac is a bridge too far for this abandonware.

Very frustrating, that their link for a trial version is a dead link, so I can't find a way to get an unblocked version of this plug-in, as AU or VST, with piracy-protection via blip sounds and static, so that I can at least load the presets one by one and visually copy the settings to Arturia's 2600.

mhschmieder

Re: RESOLVED: TimewARP 2600 freezes up on re-auth page (new

Post by mhschmieder »

Very strange. It works after doing yet another re-auth with the old computer ID, at their website, and receiving yet another new registration code (even though the last email said I have zero remaining!).

Although I had been following the suggested order on my own without a reference, just by intuition, here is the official FAQ's page for those who may need it:

http://sonivoxmi.com/kb/article/1762

Now, to see if I can update the vendor that the problem is resolved, given that the support contact form doesn't provide for follow-up.

I may still try to port my patches to Arturia's 2600 emulation, as future-proofing, given that this plug-in may not revive when the next problem hits.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

SONiVOX listed compliants apps and plug-ins for Monday's upcoming High Sierra rollout, and TimewARP 2600 has been certified as compliant, so it's still supported/tested.

thethingwiththestuff

Post by thethingwiththestuff »

thank you so much for this thread. i thought TimewARP was dead with Sierra, but that was only the AU. i am beyond elated that I'm able to use this again. it rules so hard. only 2600 plugin that sounds like one at all.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mhschmieder wrote:...although I seem to recall that 32 Lives only works on AU's and not VST's, and as the VST is the only version that doesn't crash DP and other DAW's, I guess they did go 64-bits.
Some good news though... 32 Lives supports VSTs these days. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, that's good to know, as I have a couple of VST-only 32-bit plugs that I had given up on.

I'll have to see if I can find them using Time Machine or a backup drive, as I recently cleaned out a bunch of stuff thinking it was what was crashing my other DAW's (DP seems to do quite well compared to the competition, in terms of stability in the face of plug-in issues).