Slate VerbSuiteClassics causes processor spikes

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slate VerbSuiteClassics causes processor spikes

Post by David Polich »

Over on the "DP 9.5 Is Now Up!" thread, Neil Black confirmed what I've started experiencing
with Slate VerbSuiteClassics - namely, that more than two instances causes DP's processor to
start spiking. In my case, the spiking starts about halfway through a song, then gets worse and
worse until finally, the processor is stuck all the way to the red, starts flashing on and off like a neon
sign and DP grinds to a stuttering halt.

Sometimes, even just one instance of VSC causes the spiking. In other projects, I have as many as
four instances of VSC and there are no issues. I've traced it down to instances of VSC that use
the FG-3500 or FG-16 algorithms. These seem to be, on my system, the "instigators" of the trouble.

I've emailed Slate tech support about this, they suggested I completely uninstall and then re-install
VSC, which I did. It did not solve the problem. For now, I have gone back to using Altiverb or UA
Ocean Way for my room and spaces sounds, UA Lexicon 224, EMT 140 and 250 for plates, and UA RMX 16 (Neve AMS) for the big 80's snare verbs, and Relab LX 480 for my long-decay digital reverbs (for ballad percussion, for example). If I can use one instance of VSC it is for vocal verbs.
And MOTU's ProVerb is seeing some new action too.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Slate VerbSuiteClassics causes processor spikes

Post by labman »

Hey David. We too see the spiking issue. And also on many of the verbs, it chops off the tail the you hit DP space bar.

Have also reported both to Slate. Their answer was reinstall. Reinstall doesnt help. Arghhh :banghead:
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
NeilBlack

Post by NeilBlack »

Hi David,

I can confirm that in my case, the problematic instance of VerbSuite Classics was loaded with the FG-3500 program.

Neil
DP10.1 MacPro 5.1 Hex OSX 10.14.6 24GB Ram. UA Apollo. ProAc Studio 100's. Neumann KH120's Neumann 84's / AKG / Crowley & Tripp / NTK Jolly mod. Focusrite, TLA, GAP mic pre's. Maschine 2
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Yes, thanks for chiming in on this. Glad (I guess) that it isn't just me.

I can confirm (again) that re-install does not fix the issue. Hope this isn't one of those
un-fixable Slate problems that is confined solely to DP.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

David Polich wrote:Yes, thanks for chiming in on this. Glad (I guess) that it isn't just me.

I can confirm (again) that re-install does not fix the issue. Hope this isn't one of those
un-fixable Slate problems that is confined solely to DP.
There have been Waves and other plug in problems with snap shot automation, that have sat for year after year, It can be very frustrating
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc