Phrase Marks in QuickScribe Editor

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
lampfilmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Phrase Marks in QuickScribe Editor

Post by lampfilmusic »

DP's Quickscribe editor (and Notation Editor) are terrific, particularly with regard to the ease with which keys can be worked in, note spacing, quantization, lyric alignment etc.

There is however one GAPING omission in DP, and many users wonder why the wonderful wizards at MOTU development haven't implemented this, given how simple it would be to do. - It's the ability to draw phrase marks and slurs into Quickscribe.

If DP is to be used to get a rough-and-ready score out for players (very useful), then it seems obvious that it could be possible to show phrase marks and slurs. These have an humungous effect on the way played music is performed and sounds. A score without phrase marks is tantamount to a text without punctuation.

Please MOTU R&D. We are on our knees. Implement nestable phrase marks (can also be used to make slurs) into the QuickScribe Editor and then we can party! :-P
stubbsonic

Re: Phrase Marks in QuickScribe Editor

Post by stubbsonic »

It is one of the few things that is missing from DP's QuickScribe, however, it might not be as easy as you think to implement. Even the ties in DP are not always very easy to see.

What I've always done is printed the parts and drawn in the slurs by hand.

What is generally expected is that you use DP's notation for rough reference and export to a notation program for more full featured part printing.

You're right though, it does seem very close to useable if slurs were added. I'd also like the ability to control measure spacing per line, insert line break, and insert page break.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Why not export via MusicXML? Then it can be imported into any notation app. Even the MuseScore freeware can handle slurs and ties.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
lampfilmusic

Post by lampfilmusic »

...Because if DP incorporated slurs in its notation, it would be self-contained.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

lampfilmusic wrote:...Because if DP incorporated slurs in its notation, it would be self-contained.
It would need much more to be self contained... There are no dynamic marks, no way to beam groups of notes with custom patterns (3+2, etc.), not even simple accents or staccato marks, no clef changes...

It was designed for extremely simple lead sheets, nothing more.

Hopefully that will change with DP X. In the mean time, it is manual drawing time, as Stubbsonic suggested, or porting it to a dedicated notation app, like Mr. Halloran said.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

FMiguelez wrote: There are no dynamic marks
DP does do dynamics marks. There's a whole separate palette for them. They work pretty well.

Everything else is spot on.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

stubbsonic wrote:
FMiguelez wrote: There are no dynamic marks
DP does do dynamics marks. There's a whole separate palette for them. They work pretty well.

Everything else is spot on.
:shock:

Woops... I stand corrected then. Thanks for letting me know, so I stop making an arse out of myself with this :oops:

I suppose this shows how much I use QS for printing scores...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman