Can't Save projects on network drive

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't Save projects on network drive

Post by Prime Mover »

My boss bought me another mac (iMac), so I networked the MacPro with the iMac with a Thunderbolt 2 bridge. I decided that it made more sense in this particular case for the iMac to be the server with the drives attached to it. Most everything works okay, but for whatever reason DP8 refuses to save over or update project files. Every time it gives me a "Error -35 this volume doesn't exist", yet the rest of the network works fine and I have full permissions. I can "Save As" to a new file, but saving over an existing one is a no-no.

One thing that drives me nuts is that I can't seem to login to the network from the MacPro. I never have been able to make this work properly, with any computer. I click on the "Erics iMac" under the "Shared" category in Finder, and I get an empty screen. I click "Connect as..." and nothing happens, no login, no chance to establish myself as the administrator, nothing. Yet my network aliases work and I can connect via "Connect to Server", though that doesn't give me a login either.

It might be that I'm only logged in as a guest, and DP doesn't seem to like that (even though I gave everyone "read & write" privileges universally), but as I said, I can't get a user login to come up anywhere.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
TinenTech

Re: Can't Save projects on network drive

Post by TinenTech »

Tell us more about the Thunderbolt 2 bridge and how it's connected. I'm unfamiliar with that. Is there any point where the network connects to USB 3 or FW drives? Any difference with those?

The Project file won't save, but what about audio files etc.? Are they showing up on the network drives?
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It may be as simple as giving that drive your Admin privileges. This will give you permissions to write to that drive.

If you can see it, you do this through Get Info.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I gave everyone and every account admin privileges on that drive, then selected "Apply to all Enclosed Items". But when I Get Info from my Mac Pro (client), it always comes up "You have custom access".

As for the connection types: I'm having to Jury Rig some temporary connections until my 16TB RAID comes in the next few days, maybe things will change then. Currently I've got a 4TB G-Drive hooked up via USB3.0 to the iMac. The drive has Thunderbolt 2, but the iMac doesn't. The RAID will have Thunderbolt 3. Obviously USB3.0 is super slow by comparison, but I wanted to keep it in the same configuration in preparation for the RAID.

So I'm using USB3.0 to connect the drive to the iMac, then using Thunderbolt 2 (via a TB2/3 adaptor) to connect the iMac to the Mac Pro. The speeds between the two computers is quite fast... the drive, not so much, in fact, it sometimes fails some transfers ;/ It used to be hooked up to the Mac Pro directly, no problems there. I'm thinking of possibly just getting another Thunderbolt 2 cable for the time being and hooking the drive directly to the Mac Pro as it was before.

That said, this permissions issue shouldn't just go away just because upgrade to a faster connection, would it?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

That said, this permissions issue shouldn't just go away just because upgrade to a faster connection, would it?
No but it can change.

Make certain that you give yourself and Administrators Read and Write access. I've had it happen that one worked and the other didn't. Sometimes, giving one overrides the other — if that happens, go with Administrators.

If it still won't work, let Apple try per my other link.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

mikehalloran wrote:Make certain that you give yourself and Administrators Read and Write access. I've had it happen that one worked and the other didn't. Sometimes, giving one overrides the other — if that happens, go with Administrators.
As I said, this isn't even possible, I can't login to the server, I can only access it via "Connect to Server" and typing in: "smb://Erics%20iMac._smb._tcp.local", which doesn't give me a proper login box. So I think I'm only coming in as a guest.

Also, all this talk of drive speed is moot, I remembered I can't save onto the local iMac drive (from the Mac Pro) either. And that's a TB2 connection.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Ugh, so I worked with an apple tech and got the connections working, so now I can login. But it gives me the same error message. Here is what it looks like:

— Eric Barker
Eel House

TinenTech

Post by TinenTech »

Does this error message come up just as you start a new project? Or can you work for a while (including making audio files) and you get this when you first hit Save?
MacBook Pro 9,1 (mid-2012 Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB RAM), OSX 10.11.3, Newertech Voyager SATA drive dock
MOTU: DP 9.02, Traveler Mk 1, 896 MkIII Hybrid, MIDI Express XT
Alesis AI3 optical interface, QS8, QS7, DM Pro, DM5, QSR
Mackie Controller and Extender (original MIDI)
Pro Tools 12