converting DP3 MIDI files to DP7

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
waterbearer
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

converting DP3 MIDI files to DP7

Post by waterbearer »

I've been trying unsuccessfully to convert some elderly MIDI files created in DP3 on an old Mac running OS 9 to DP7 on a MacPro running OS 10.6.8. I changed the ext to .smf - didn't work, to .mid - didn't work, to .MID didn't work, and to .dpdoc and none of them would open in DP7. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.
mikehalloran

Re: converting DP3 MIDI files to DP7

Post by mikehalloran »

What was the extension before?

Run Get Info and see if you don't have two extensions now.

What is your OS and version of DP 7?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

Can you open them with QuickTime Player 7?
https://support.apple.com/downloads/quicktime
If so, you have an option to export them as a standard MIDI file.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote:Can you open them with QuickTime Player 7?
https://support.apple.com/downloads/quicktime
If so, you have an option to export them as a standard MIDI file.
True but only if .mid. Since OS 8 and earlier didn't require visible extensions, I wonder if adding .mid doesn't turn them into .mid.mid.

Get Info will sort that out. Make extensions visible, fix them and then they should open in QuickTime if nowhere else.

Also curious about the OS and version of DP. 7.24 is the only version that authorizes in OS 7 or later but earlier versions run if authorized in an earlier OS that was upgraded. There are some file permission issues with certain builds of DP 7. Been there, fixed that.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waterbearer

Post by waterbearer »

The computer is OS 9.2.1 The version of DP is 3.1.1. Get Info didn't reveal any extensions. I tried a save as: standard MIDI format. It still doesn't open in DP 7. There may be a secret handshake or magical password that I can't discern. . . . It makes composing fugues seem a simple task in comparison.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

You're not making sense. DP 7 does not run in OS 9. Once again, what OS and what version of DP 7?

Many of us go back to DP 3 and earlier (2.x for me) and are able to open our old files in DP 7 and later. There are issues which is why I ask the questions I do.

OS 9 supported file type and create codes. Files may have an extension or not.
http://vintagemacmuseum.com/macintosh-t ... tor-codes/
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Just checking - are you sure these were "DP" (Digital Performer) 3.11 files and not "Performer" 3.11 files? (Performer was my first sequencer on my souped-up Mac-Plus!)

I've wondered how to get my ancient Performer files to open, on my end. Glad I saved SMF versions!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
waterbearer

Post by waterbearer »

Good news. Bad news. I got the files to convert (good), but I'm not sure what I did (bad). . . . Opened them in DP3.1.1 on my old Mac (OS 9.2.1), then saved each as a standard MIDI file, and typed in .mid at the end of the name. Now they open as smf's. I wish I knew why it worked today and not yesterday, A re-alignment of the stars? The MIDI monster took the day off? My ignorance (tho I've been using Performer and DP for nearly 25 years). Anyhow, all's well that ends well. Thanks for all your advice.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

waterbearer wrote:I've been trying unsuccessfully to convert some elderly MIDI files created in DP3 on an old Mac running OS 9 to DP7 on a MacPro running OS 10.6.8. I changed the ext to .smf - didn't work, to .mid - didn't work, to .MID didn't work, and to .dpdoc and none of them would open in DP7. Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.
I've never "opened" a MIDI file in DP, I always just dragged them to the left side of the Tracks Overview window. What method are you using to import them?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

waterbearer wrote:Good news. Bad news. I got the files to convert (good), but I'm not sure what I did (bad). . . . Opened them in DP3.1.1 on my old Mac (OS 9.2.1), then saved each as a standard MIDI file, and typed in .mid at the end of the name. Now they open as smf's. I wish I knew why it worked today and not yesterday, A re-alignment of the stars? The MIDI monster took the day off? My ignorance (tho I've been using Performer and DP for nearly 25 years). Anyhow, all's well that ends well. Thanks for all your advice.
If you are certain that, way back when, you did a "save as..." and saved as an smf (.mid)-- as opposed to just saving as a DP file; then it's hard to say why it didn't work yesterday, but worked today.

A Standard MIDI File should open with either a .mid or .smf extension, and most software (in my experience) won't care which.

If yesterday you were trying to open DP files, then as Mike mentioned, the file type and file creator codes could be missing-- which will prevent them from opening. Those codes CAN be re-entered in with other utilities. But I've found that to be unreliable as a solution.

Fortunately, you have access to your old computer & software.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Fortunately, you have access to your old computer & software.
As long a my G4 works, it's staying. Doesn't take up much space...
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea. Same here. Even though I've tried and tried to update all my files, I still have to go back and use Appleworks pretty often. And I've more than once been able to convert old files for myself and others.

Hopefully it'll keep booting up when I call upon it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I still have to go back and use Appleworks pretty often
This will open word processing and spreadsheet docs from many current and dead formats including AppleWorks, MacWrite, Word 5.1 etc. and it's freeware/donation.

https://www.libreoffice.org/

I don't use it to replace Office even though they claim that it can be done.

Unfortunately, it won't open graphics files from AppleWorks, ClarisDraw or MacPaint. In fact, I don't know anything that does.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, most of what I'm needing the old Appleworks for is graphics-- tons of reference materials I've made for music study. Most are all quite useful, and always need little tweaks.

I've tried a few programs that claim to be able to edit Appleworks graphics files, but none really work.

Appleworks was an amazingly powerful and flexible program. Pages was pretty terrible when it first came out, but now it's much worse. Similarly, the graphics capabilities that were built into Preview in Mavericks got ruined in Yosemite. It's now a huge pain in the ass to use. I have to boot from an external partition when I want to use Preview to edit.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote:Yea, most of what I'm needing the old Appleworks for is graphics-- tons of reference materials I've made for music study. Most are all quite useful, and always need little tweaks.

I've tried a few programs that claim to be able to edit Appleworks graphics files, but none really work.

Appleworks was an amazingly powerful and flexible program. Pages was pretty terrible when it first came out, but now it's much worse. Similarly, the graphics capabilities that were built into Preview in Mavericks got ruined in Yosemite. It's now a huge pain in the ass to use. I have to boot from an external partition when I want to use Preview to edit.
I did album and cassette covers in CW and AW. I do feel your pain. LibreOffice plans to get to that someday now that they have added a graphics engine. Till then...