Click not sounding

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Kurt Cowling
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Click not sounding

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I'm working in collaboration with someone else who is sending me DP files. I cannot get the click to sound on his files. Metronome icon is on. When I go to click prefs and audition it plays. Using built in audio and has sounds assigned to accented and normal. It is set to "always click". Oddly, when I try to use a MIDI click and assign it to a side stick in Model-12 it still won't work. That tells me it's not an audio output issue but something with the functionality of the click itself.

I can't really just create my own click track in a MIDI track in the project because he uses some changing click patterns and there are lots of time signature changes. I really need to hear the clicks he has set up.

Any ideas?

P.S. He uses the "click tacet" command at the ends of the cues, something I never use normally.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Kurt Cowling

Re: Click not sounding

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Well, I figured it out but I think it's a bug. Having a click tacet command at the end of the track actually tacets it for the entire chunk. Not cool! Gonna submit it as a bug to MOTU.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
Tim Ripley

Post by Tim Ripley »

I don't use that feature (tacet click) but I read this...

"Tacet Click silences clicking until the next click change event (or meter)."

It would seem, if you have that command at the end, you have to insert a command to 'undo' it when you play it from the beginning or it will stay in the state that it was last set to. (Tacet)
Timothy Ripley
Composer, engineer, musician

Ripcurrentmedia.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Dual 4Tb Thunderbolt G Drives
Moterey 12.6.1, Pro Tools 22.12.0.326
Lots of WAVES Plugins, Yamaha DM2000VCM Console
Digital Performer 10.13, MOTU 1248 (Thunderbolt)
MOTU MTP AV (USB), a bunch of hardware synths, mic preamps, & outboard FX
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Thanks for your response. There is a click change at the top of the sequence. It wouldn't play the very first time I opened the file. I submitted a tech link with MOTU to see what they have to say.

I tried duplicating the conductor track take so I could delete the tacet click command while working and then switch back to the original take before sending it back to my collaborator. Unfortunately deleting the command affects both takes.

Thanks again for responding!
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

Just in case anyone wonders about this... even though a time signature event includes a click change it won't override a click tacet event. A separate event called click change must be entered from the event list into the conductor track. So, at the top of each chunk I place a time signature, key signature, tempo and a click change. Then click tacet can be used later in the chunk. Thanks again, Tim, for your response. I just didn't understand that the click instruction with a time signature wasn't enough.
Tim Ripley

Post by Tim Ripley »

Glad you figured it out!
Timothy Ripley
Composer, engineer, musician

Ripcurrentmedia.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Dual 4Tb Thunderbolt G Drives
Moterey 12.6.1, Pro Tools 22.12.0.326
Lots of WAVES Plugins, Yamaha DM2000VCM Console
Digital Performer 10.13, MOTU 1248 (Thunderbolt)
MOTU MTP AV (USB), a bunch of hardware synths, mic preamps, & outboard FX