DP hang on quick Chunk change?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Dwetmaster
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP hang on quick Chunk change?

Post by Dwetmaster »

Like title says.
Can somebody else confirm that on their system that, IF you change chunk very quickly (preferably using key commands), at one point DP will hang with the beach ball of death.

By "Very Quickly" I mean faster than the chunks update on the window when you change them.

Thanks for your time.
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHZ 16GB RAM OSX10.8.3
MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 2011 OSX10.8.3
896mk3, BLA Modded 896HD, BLA Microclock, MTP-AV, Yamaha KX-8, CME VX-7 Mackie Ctrl, megadrum, Presonus C-S,
DP8.04, Bidule, M5 3, Ethno 2, BPM 1.5 Kontakt4, BFD2, SD2, Omnisphere, Wave Arts P-S5, Altiverb7, PSP VW & OldTimer, VB3, Ivory 2 Grand, True Pianos, Ozone 5, Reason 4, AmpliTube3, Bla bla bla...
A few El & Ac basses & Guitars, Hammond A-100.
Rick Cornish

Re: DP hang on quick Chunk change?

Post by Rick Cornish »

I have seen this when switching sequences as well. Occasionally, it persists on a reboot of DP until I restart my Mac.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Shooshie

Re: DP hang on quick Chunk change?

Post by Shooshie »

Ditto to all the above, though it's not normal behavior. It happens to me when DP has been open a long time, perhaps with other apps coming and going, such that it's starting to develop memory leaks, or having to dodge them from other apps. I have not had time to pursue this to come up with a consistent path to replicating it, but it definitely happens to me.

It happens usually when I am seeing other anomalies, such as ghosting of windows in other Spaces, when switching from one space to another. Sometimes it's just the fader columns that persist from space to space, but other times it's entire windows, and if you click on them they'll take you to that window in its own space. So it's more than a ghosting artifact; something's really there. You just can't use it directly. When this sort of thing happens, it seems more likely that I'll get the chunk-switching crash. I rarely get it, though.

When I start seeing anomalies, I restart DP and the Mac if I have time. Restarting, these days, takes forever. From quitting DP to restart of the Mac to complete reboot and working again in DP takes at least 10 minutes. I have to wait until my system meters quit jumping around, or else I risk crashing DP when first starting to use it.

Shoosh
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|