Need help troubleshooting some 'squirrely" behavior please

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Kellog
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Need help troubleshooting some 'squirrely" behavior please

Post by Kellog »

Hi, long time user and I try to handle problems myself, but I would appreciate some advice on where to look to help me figure out why my system is experiencing delayed actions sometimes-i.e. when I press start or stop of the current sequence it takes a second to execute the command. I was at 512, lowered the buffer to 256 with the same delayed response. Very sluggish behavior.

This is a single sequence I loaded into an empty new file (I always try this Load feature when things start acting up). 4 guitar audio tracks, I instance of Kontakt, 1 instance of EZ Drummer 2, some MOTU and UAD ( had meter says 32%) plugs running. Should be smoothe I believe.

I'm wondering if it's time for the dreaded clean install.

Also, sometimes my MIDI recording latency becomes very high- like when recording a MIDI bass part into Kontakt (with only a Scarbee bass loaded, no other sounds). Hit the note on my keyboard and a good 1/2 second later it sounds- with buffer at 128. If I scrap the Kontakt instance and reload a new one the latency goes away. But what got corrupted in the first place? This is what I mean by 'squirrely'
I took 2 screenshots of Tracks and Mixer windows to show how much usage is happening but I don't know how to post screenshots here. Happy to post em if needed and if someone can instruct me.
Thanks anyone who reads this far. Kelly
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
stubbsonic

Re: Need help troubleshooting some 'squirrely" behavior plea

Post by stubbsonic »

Ugh. That sounds annoying!

I'm not 100% sure, but I think for your MIDI delay problem you can look in preferences. The main section is "Play and Record", and the sub-section is "MIDI Solo & Patch Through"

I think "Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru" is a setting that causes some problems, but I may have that mixed up. On my system it is checked and everything works fine. I may have it confused with another similar sounding setting. Try enabling or disabling that to see if that fixes the MIDI issue.

I wonder if there isn't a weird setting in your Setup/Configure Audio System/Configure Hardware Driver... or Configure Studio Settings that is causing some weirdness.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
guitardood

Post by guitardood »

Might want to check if you have some latency/delay inducing plugs on the master bus. I was having a latency issue on recording with Sonarworks Reference on the mix/master bus and usually have to disable it when tracking. UAD's Precision Multiband has a high delay count as well.

Chuck Fletcher on Reverb Nation
Chuck Fletcher on Facebook

"Life is like a box of chocolates. You know, eventually you're going to get the one filled with alien-like nasty tasting goo and have to spit it out and say YUCK".
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Great ideas gentleman, thanks. I'll look into those thoughts. Much appreciated!
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

stubbsonic wrote: I think "Sync Recorded MIDI to Patch Thru" is a setting that causes some problems, but I may have that mixed up. On my system it is checked and everything works fine.
CORRECTION: everything did not work fine. Not sure how it got checked, but unchecking it was needed immediate after posting. MIDI tracks were later than recorded. I'm not sure what process DP is using to try to match what I heard when I tracked, but it ain't workin'.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

AFAICR, *Sync recorded MIDI to patch thru* is intended to sync internal virtual synths. Uncheck with hardware synths, if you listen to the hardware synth outputs. (edited, first shot was just opposite and... wrong!)
First of all, check... the manual!

Some plugs on master track will give latency. Specially mastering plugs such as Ozone and the like.
My workaround is setting any mastering plugs on a master track inside a Vrack. This Vrack is named *mastering*. Enable-disable that Vrack will do in a glance.

And, of course, I don't forget the old buffer size trick: low on tracking, high on mixing.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Where is "sync recorded MIDI to patch through " found. I can't seem to find it to check its setting.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

See my first post.

Kellog

Post by Kellog »

Yep I see it now thanks. I'll check it out. Thanks Stubbsonic
And thanks Guitardood, the sequence is working better now that I turned of Sonarworks Ref 3 and UAD Precision Multiband on the master outs. I was pretty surprised that you posted those exact two potential latency causing examples and I was incorporating them. ...fade in Twilight Zone theme... :)