Can't export video audio

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
ParanoidAndroid
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't export video audio

Post by ParanoidAndroid »

Hello

I'm struggling with a video I have that contain VO audio. I have it set to Output 1-2 same as my master music stem and I bounce to disk with Output 1-2 selected as source but any audio from video isn't getting bounced... I know I can import movie audio but I don't want for a few reasons. Sending output of video to aux also doesn't work here. Any hints on that? Thanks!
daniel.sneed

Re: Can't export video audio

Post by daniel.sneed »

Sorry to be off-topic, but in case you own Izotope RX, it does export audio from video files.
Works with many audio and video formats.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

ParanoidAndroid wrote:Hello

I'm struggling with a video I have that contain VO audio. I have it set to Output 1-2 same as my master music stem and I bounce to disk with Output 1-2 selected as source but any audio from video isn't getting bounced... I know I can import movie audio but I don't want for a few reasons. Sending output of video to aux also doesn't work here. Any hints on that? Thanks!
If you can hear it when you play it but is not included in the bounce, I would try using a regular audio track with its input monitor enabled instead.

Also, make sure the problem aux track is play-enabled when bouncing, and that it has a valid input/output (not in italics). Also, try including it in a time-range selection.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
ParanoidAndroid

It doesn't work either way. As you see in screenshot I hear sound from video through VO audio track and have range selection both track and master track and bounce result empty file. Same if I send video output sound to Output 1-2 same as the master is and I hear the sounds through that master track but doing exact same bounce including master track result no sound in file. That's completely weird.

Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

On the right hand side of the Movie window, under the pull down, is a command that reads: "Import Movie Audio." Click it, and the audio from the movie will be imported into Digital Performer as an audio file in the project format.

Then you can do anything you want with it.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
ParanoidAndroid

Thank you but that doesn't resolve the problem. I don't want import movie audio as I mentioned in a first post, I wanna bounce straight from video output. If I can hear it on a master track why I can't bounce it?
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Because it's not an audio file. It's embedded in a movie file. DP needs to have the two parts split apart in order to things like EQ, bounce, etc.

What you are dealing with isn't a "problem." Just import the audio and go.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

It's usually one of my "pet peeves" when someone asks "how do I do the following..." to reply with "why would you want to do that?" But, in this case I can't think of any reason to avoid importing the audio from the video if you want it included in a bounce. Perhaps the OP could fill us in as to what is accomplished by avoiding the importation of the movie audio we can come up with another idea (or just confirm that this is "just the way it is").
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
ParanoidAndroid

Because I'll have to first delate and then re-import updated dial and fx track from a feature film which is over 1GB audio file into every single cue Chunk every time I receive a new version of cut? Is it fair enough reason?
I just want to have fast access to bounce my music steam along with what's in video for director's preview. If it's program limitation I'm fine with that but first want to make sure it can't work the way I want.

Thanks Kurt for you support on that here.
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I'm no expert on film scoring, but let me ask this: Are you using Song Mode?

I think if you create a Song and then import your separate chunks into that song at the correct start times you can then create one additional chunk in the Song that's just the dialog/SFX running the length of the entire movie file. You can still monitor the movie audio when working inside each chunk (as you have been). Then bounce with selected times for each chunk from within the Song (or the whole length, if that's your requirement). Does that help? There are definitely others on this board who know more about using Song Mode for film scoring...

--Kurt
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
ParanoidAndroid

Just did some research there and Song Mode seems it's not best solution for multiple chunk cues in scoring to picture.
MIDI Life Crisis wrote: Well, you could sync your chunks in SONG mode. More experienced DP users scoring and designing sound to picture would neverdo that. Someone will chime almost certainly chime in telling us how great SOMG MODE is, and it is) but there is a much better way. Song mode is intended for... well... SONGS, not extended scores that have to sync to pictures, with greatly varying instrumentation, frame accurate SFX and dialogue, different mixer settings, plugins, yadda yadda yadda...
I may give it a try anyway, gotta figure out some workaround for my workflow anyway because the way I'm working now is not efficient enough. Thanks for your input man.

So just to clarify, there's no way to bounce audio straight out of a video without importing it?
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I've never had the need to try it. The only other thing that occurs to me is to bounce from the Sequence window instead of the Tracks Overview window. In the Sequence window I believe you can use the track selector to make the movie track visible. Perhaps it will bounce then? There's no way to select the movie when bouncing in the Tracks Overview. Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

--Kurt