9.1 Won't Save New Projects

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
glea
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

9.1 Won't Save New Projects

Post by glea »

Created a template and then projects for the 13 songs for a new recording session which stared today.
When I tried to open one of them today, it wouldn't open.

I went back to the template and tried to create a new project. DP would crash after trying to save. I can open old projects, but I can't save as. Same thing. An error message.

I trashed prefs, and twice reinstalled DP 9.1

Still no luck.

I'm downloading 9.13, hoping this solves the problem. Meanwhile I have set up projects in Logic. This is fine for the current session, but I have to add drums to five current DP project on Thursday.

As it's Ric "Mick Shripmton" Parnell playing the drums, I hate to have to to awkward work arounds. The risk is our drummer could explode in flames if all is not well. Our bass player said he had similar exp.

Any help? Suggestions??
The Country That Rules Magnetism, Rules The World: 3.2 Ghz Quad Xeon | OS 10.11.3 | 2408 Mk3 | 24 i/o | DP9.13 | Logic Pro 9 | 32 Ch Ghost
mikehalloran

Re: 9.1 Won't Save New Projects

Post by mikehalloran »

Not enough information to know what you are doing wrong. I would call MOTU support ASAP.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
glea

Post by glea »

will call the operator...

Not much.

Just went south with out provocation.
The Country That Rules Magnetism, Rules The World: 3.2 Ghz Quad Xeon | OS 10.11.3 | 2408 Mk3 | 24 i/o | DP9.13 | Logic Pro 9 | 32 Ch Ghost
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

This is my personal opinion, and may not apply to everyone.
I do not use templates. I use old files that work. Once I've set up my tracks for a particular type of work, I use that one repeatedly. When it's time to start a new file, I find an old one that's similar to what I'll be doing, open it, SAVE-AS (do not copy soundbites) with my new project name, and I'm off and running.

Next, I go to a Chunk, delete all the data, and I'm ready to record. I may keep plugins if they seem to fit what I'm going to be doing. IN any case, I'll have a couple of saved mixes. One for mixing and final versions, the other for recording. The recording mix usually has only one plugin: a MOTU Plate reverb on the Submaster track. That gives everyone the reverb they want when monitoring their live performance through headphones. It has virtually zero latency. If you can record tracks with a full-freight mix, go right ahead. I prefer not to.

Anyway, this seems to work for me. Templates have always had a tendency to crash on me. I do not know why. But I find this method nearly as fast as a template. The only difference is having to delete all the data in the tracks. That is a matter of two moves: COMMAND-A (select all) and DELETE. Wham! Bam! Record!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

PS: as proof that it works, most of my current files have their origins in things I started 15, 20 years ago.
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Shooshie wrote:This is my personal opinion, and may not apply to everyone.
I do not use templates. I use old files that work. Once I've set up my tracks for a particular type of work, I use that one repeatedly. When it's time to start a new file, I find an old one that's similar to what I'll be doing, open it, SAVE-AS (do not copy soundbites) with my new project name, and I'm off and running.

Next, I go to a Chunk, delete all the data, and I'm ready to record. I may keep plugins if they seem to fit what I'm going to be doing. IN any case, I'll have a couple of saved mixes. One for mixing and final versions, the other for recording. The recording mix usually has only one plugin: a MOTU Plate reverb on the Submaster track. That gives everyone the reverb they want when monitoring their live performance through headphones. It has virtually zero latency. If you can record tracks with a full-freight mix, go right ahead. I prefer not to.

Anyway, this seems to work for me. Templates have always had a tendency to crash on me. I do not know why. But I find this method nearly as fast as a template. The only difference is having to delete all the data in the tracks. That is a matter of two moves: COMMAND-A (select all) and DELETE. Wham! Bam! Record!

Shooshie
That's pretty much the way I've always done my templates. Never occurred to me to do it differently. :band:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cleamon

Post by cleamon »

Shooshie wrote:This is my personal opinion, and may not apply to everyone.

Shooshie
Of course at that point where you've emptied the project and done a save-as, and before recording any new material, you could save-as again (i.e. MySpecialProject-empty) and that would be your go-to for the next time. Would save deleting data every time. :D
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram