Plugins that don't work with Pregen

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plugins that don't work with Pregen

Post by bayswater »

Is there a list?

I haven't had any problems with 9.12/13 etc until recently. I was asked to edit live recording done on a phone. To get it presentable, I had to use a lot of plugins I never use. On a one track project with a 512 buffer, I was getting frequent dropouts lasting about 5-10 seconds. Moving to 9.02 made the problem go away. Loading some older projects in 9.13 with my usual MOTU and Waves plugins worked fine.

So, at least in my case, it looks like some plugins don't play well with Pre-gen (or the other way around), although I haven't yet isolated any cuprits. I remember MOTU asking people to report such plugins. Has anyone done that, or see a list of plugins that don't pregen properly?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
philbrown

Re: Plugins that don't work with Pregen

Post by philbrown »

Slate tech support mentioned the pre-gen issue when troubleshooting recently but nothing really concrete about it. The problem I was having was Slate plug-ins 'going dead' (acting like they're bypassed when they are not).
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

philbrown wrote:Slate tech support mentioned the pre-gen issue when troubleshooting recently but nothing really concrete about it. The problem I was having was Slate plug-ins 'going dead' (acting like they're bypassed when they are not).
Let's say you open a project with older (prior to current version) Slate plugins. Even though the Slate
stuff will come up in the insert slots or aux busses where you last left it, often you'll find that the plugins themselves are not processing audio, they're just passing it thru. For example, if you have an instance of VMR with a Neve EQ followed by a compressor, and you don't see the compressor meter moving during playback, then everything in that instance of VMR is "dead".

The solution, I'm sorry to say, is to remove the Slate plug-in instance and re-load a "blank" Slate
VMR, then add the modules one by one in the order you want. The Slate plugins will work again.Then, save that instance as an AU or VST user preset within DP. To check whether your saved preset will work again, delete the instance of Slate again, then re-instantiate an instance of VMR and re-load the user preset you just saved. It should work fine.

There was an older version of VMR (and some other Slate plugs, I think) that would take a long time to load if it was the first time you loaded it for the day. The most current versions of Slate plugs, including VMR, load immediately, and as far as I can tell, they all process audio immediately
and do not fall victim to the "dead plug-in" malady.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks David. That's exactly what I got from Slate and specifically the issue is when you recall a saved chain of plugs in DP via the top insert slot. Like I had a good kick drum chain, saved it and called it up in another song then the Slate plugs would 'go dead'. I had to go through our whole album and replace all those individually with fresh Slate instances. That seemed to fix it but I still had it happen twice after that when I know for a fact it wasn't a saved plug-in chain. I just got done mixing and mastering our album and taking a breather so I'm not sure where the issue stands at the moment.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce