Playbak produces stuttering, clipping etc

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Gate 13
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Playbak produces stuttering, clipping etc

Post by Gate 13 »

Hey folks,
I know the trick to have several instances of the same sampler (for example using 4 instances of Kontakt or Bidule) to balance the load but I still have a lot of issues even with few tracks playing back.
My question is about memory and hard disk. Right now I have 13 GB of memory.
If I add 16 more GB (29 total) do you think it can make a difference?

Changing from 1GB TO 13 GB did not make that great difference to be honest.

Also, do you think where the samples are located can play a role? For example if the samples are in the main hard drive where DP is installed will that affect performance? Will an SSD solve the issue?

I list here some factors that I thong they may affect performance and please add more or correct me!
1)Amount of memory
2)Hard disk and samples location
3)having more instances of the same software
4)there is another track about 128 VS 256 or 512 buffer size(?)...but I am not sure what this means!

Thanks!
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
mikehalloran

Re: Playbak produces stuttering, clipping etc

Post by mikehalloran »

Why on DP 7.22 and not 7.24?

I could never run playback at 512 in DP 7 without experiencing problems. Double or quadruple the buffer for playback and see if that doesn't fix you right up.

Lower your buffer when recording to reduce latency—this means that you won't have a lot of playback tracks available for overdub.

DP 7 is a 32bit app. I know that Bidule can help overcome the 4G RAM access limitation but others will have to chime in with details (if they remember back that far).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

I posted under windows forum! I should post it under MacOS!

Will the memory upgrade help though?
Thanks
Mac Pro 2X 2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8, 13GB RAM/ DP 7.24/ Plogue Bidule/SWQL Symphonic Orchestra (Gold),Hollywood Brass(Gold), SWQL RA, SD2, Symphonic Choirs/KONTAKT 4, Cinesamples Hollywoodwinds
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Gate 13 wrote:I posted under windows forum! I should post it under MacOS!
Moved it for you. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

Thank you!
Gate 13

Post by Gate 13 »

So, do you think either upgrading to DP9 and/or buying a newer mac with more cores and processor power will have a considerable improvement in performance (I currently have a mac pro 1.1 (2007)...
:)
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Gate 13 wrote:So, do you think either upgrading to DP9 and/or buying a newer mac with more cores and processor power will have a considerable improvement in performance (I currently have a mac pro 1.1 (2007)...
:)
Yes..lol. And don't forget a new audio interface.

This is one of the last things people consider when faced with clicks, crackles, stutters, and pops.
But these symptoms can definitely be signs of a failing audio interface. I should know..I had an Apogee Duet (original one) go out after five years of reliable service. Audio would be recorded in sync but play back late. Audio cleanly recorded would come back with embedded clicks and pops in it. DP would stutter and the CPU performance meter would ping all the way to the red (and then flash on and off like a neon sign), with just a few tracks running. This was all due to my Duet failing. I replaced it and the issues all went away.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com