DP 9.13 - Movie Window - "Unexpected Error"

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kestudi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 9.13 - Movie Window - "Unexpected Error"

Post by kestudi »

Hi, I'm working with an .mp4 movie file in DP 9.13. I've noticed several things:

The floating movie window itself no longer has the drop-down menu where I can choose to "Import Movie Audio" among other options:

http://imgur.com/a/fbwkU

When I click the dropdown from the Sequence window, I get an "Unexpected Error"

http://imgur.com/a/F2vqM

Anyone encounter this problem?
kestudi
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP 9.13 - Movie Window - "Unexpected Error"

Post by kestudi »

By the way, this is still happening for me on DP 9.5 and 9.51 .... :(
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not yet, but I would try re-exporting the mp4 file to another format and try it again. It might be the codec used for the original import or some other file issue that is making the audio track inaccessible. It's working fine here on various mp4 files.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

kestudi wrote:
When I click the dropdown from the Sequence window, I get an "Unexpected Error"

Anyone encounter this problem?
I have had this problem, and no amount of installing/reinstalling/re-encoding helped me. After some back-and-forth with MOTU we didn't actually figure out the cause, but there is a possible solution.

Try creating a new Windows user profile, and testing the same functionality there. This worked for me - so it must be some kind of corruption specific to the user account. MOTU's original advice was to reinstall Windows. I did that, and it worked. After a few months the issue came back with no discernible cause. I had a techlink going for a while where I worked through this with them, but I never got any response that indicated they were able to reproduce it. Pretty sure they wrote it off as an idiosyncrasy of a single machine.

If you don't mind, can you pretty pretty please let MOTU know this issue is not just a ghost in the machine? Either by phone, email, or Techlink? If you reference my old unresolved techlink when you do, perhaps they'll give it a closer look. MTL 100559: https://motu.com/techsupport/tracker/vi ... _id=100559

Workaround
Interestingly, for me it only happened in the 64-bit version of DP. Is that also true for you? If so, you can work around this issue by opening your project in 32-bit mode to change the settings you need to within that window, then resume working in 64-bit. This is actually what I ended up doing, as moving things from one user account to another was more work than doing this from time to time, and I have little faith that the user account solution is a permanent one - though I don't know that for a fact.

EDIT: I just realized you are on Mac OS. I had only ever seen this problem on Windows, so I assumed you were on that. Apologies for the confusion. Obviously only some of my post applies. However, if this is now showing up for some Mac users, all the more reason for MOTU to hear about it.

Let us know how it shakes out!
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

To try mesarye’s method, create a new user account and log in and see if the problem persists. If it does, then it’s likely a software conflict.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS