Learn Controller issue

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dinobass
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Learn Controller issue

Post by dinobass »

I'm using DP 9.12. From the Project>Console pull down menu I select Learn Controller and pair a plug in's parameter with a fader/slider. The parameter and slider are paired, however, the slider will not record MIDI. Looking at the MIDI channel fader in the mixer it shows no MIDI input happening even though the controller and parameter are paired and working. I did an experiment where I recorded MIDI data from a controller to check that it recorded correctly, then I paired the controller with a plug-in parameter and suddenly it would NOT record any MIDI data. Am I missing a step here?
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
Rick Cornish

Re: Learn Controller issue

Post by Rick Cornish »

Do you have automation enabled for that track?
Is automation in "record" mode?
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

Right, that works to record-enable the automation on the track.

Other times, I've recorded the controller MIDI information to a MIDI track with output assigned to the plug-in with success. For some reason though, when you assign a controller a Learn Controller function that controller will no longer send MIDI info that can be recorded (or even that can be seen in the MIDI track input). The controller and plug-in are still linked though.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
magicd

Post by magicd »

This is expected behavior. You can't record MIDI into an audio track.

The learn MIDI controller function uses a custom console to translate the incoming MIDI into control data specific to the plug-in. The MIDI does not reach the track because it has been translated by the custom console. So yes, record-enable automation and what will get recorded is automation specific to the plug-in parameter.

Dave
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

I've never recorded MIDI into an audio track.

My confusion comes from the fact that when you use MIDI learn within a plug-in (say, Stylus RMX), you can then record MIDI data into a MIDI track with the controller you pair. I thought using Learn Controller in DP would exhibit the same behavior. In this case, I was using the sustain pedal to change the speed in the PSP Lotary plug, which in the past had always been the controller that automatically paired with that parameter when I set up the MIDI track. For some reason this time it didn't pair and I used Learn Controller and couldn't figure out why MIDI was not being recorded. I did end up using the automation on the track that had the Lotary plug which worked fine.
magicd

Post by magicd »

Some instrument plug-ins have internal MIDI controller learn functions. That's not the same thing as the MIDI learn function in DP. The MIDI learn function in DP can work with virtual instruments or effect plug-ins on audio tracks, which do not involve MIDI tracks. If you have an instrument plug-in with external MIDI control then yes you can record MIDI into the MIDI track that drives the instrument. This is separate from the MIDI learn function in DP that applies to both instruments and audio plug-ins.

Dave
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

Really appreciate the time you take here on this forum to explain these things. Thanks!