Drag Drop Weirdness

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Tobor
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Drag Drop Weirdness

Post by Tobor »

Hi,

Was on a tight deadline for a cue so put a little Band in a Box file together quickly. I've done this tons of times but usually when I drag the files from the Band in a Box drop zone (wav or aiff) to the Tracks Overview, the files pop up in DP immediately ready to go.

For some reason today I'm dragging files (and alternatively just individual wav files from the desktop) and DP isn't letting them in or accepting them.

Seems this happened once before but can't remember the cure. I opened Logic and endured a scan of 600 plugins to find that the procedure works fine there, so it must be a setting in DP.

Any clues?
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
cuttime

Re: Drag Drop Weirdness

Post by cuttime »

Sample rates match?
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Yes, I originally thought of that but I've used 44.1 forever and switched to 48 temporarily to test today no difference, 44.1 verified as doable when I called BnB support. Too late today for MOTU support.

Again, the files played and loaded in Logic and also play back in iTunes when I click the files I dragged to the desktop.

I also checked preferences but everything seems to be in order there re: same as I've been using.
iMac 2.7 i5, DP 9.5.1, 10.13.3, Apollo Twin, 828, MTPAV, Toontrack, Spectrasonics, BFD3, Drumcore, Reason 10, Live 10, Logic X, Spitfire, Zebra, Miroslav, Waves, Kronos X, MOXF 6, Axiom 49.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

A studio I work with sends me .wav files that do this—never all which is weird. Anyway, I run into this all the time.

DP is more sensitive to header corruption than other DAWs so the solution is easy: Strip and rebuild the headers.

Convert the file to .wav if .aif or vise versa. If it matters, convert back. QuickTime 7.6.6 is great for this but only does one file at a time. Batch processors like DSP-Q and TwistedWave can do hundreds in a few minutes. The raw audio is unaffected as long as it's a lossless conversion such as .aiff, .wav, .sdII etc.

You can even use Logic for this. Export the individual files after importing them.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

Thanks Mike!! I knew you would have the answer.

As it happened I actually recorded the clarinet in Logic and just bounced the project to mp3 as well as the individual files to the desktop. Sounds great! Glad it was a simple project as I've never done anything in Logic except play with the lovely sounds. Nice to learn something (or five or six things) along the way.

I need to upload the file tonight but then hope to see if the Logic export files load in to DP when I have more time tomorrow. Hope I don't have to do workarounds like this for every project, a potential pain as the process has always been so seamless. We'll see.

Anyway thanks again....as always your expertise and the time you give are much appreciated.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My daughter records in Logic. On occasion she has asked Dad to fix this or that. I always export the files — easy in Logic — and import them into DP where I'm more comfortable.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Tobor

Post by Tobor »

mikehalloran wrote:My daughter records in Logic. On occasion she has asked Dad to fix this or that. I always export the files — easy in Logic — and import them into DP where I'm more comfortable.
Well at least I'm finding some real world use for Logic at long last....as a file conversion utility LOL! After a few moments of panic wondering whether I could quickly figure out how to engineer a decent mix and export an mp3, it really turned out to be intuitive and easy. Nice options for export as well, and the individual tracks did indeed load into DP like a breeze. Noted with interest that the tracks with plugins 'bounced' with the effects on.

Necessity has led me into the land of unintended consequences and possibilities here, realizing the exciting prospect of being able to jam in Logic with the sounds and beats and then export to DP where overdubbing, editing, and mixing is obviously more comfortable for me. Cool!