Slate VerbSuite Within DP Weirdness

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
buzzsmith
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Slate VerbSuite Within DP Weirdness

Post by buzzsmith »

Hi, all!

I'm trying to track down a issue that I don't believe I've ever encountered before.

When using Slate's VerbSuite on a aux track, with the correct sends and outputs, I hear the reverb while the track is playing but when I hit Stop to hear the amount of tail and effect, no reverb??

I tried different presets, etc.

I'm using DP 9.01 and in another project created about the same time I'm hearing the VerbSuite tail just fine when I hit Stop.

On the project in question, if I bypass VerbSuite and instantiate Altiverb, I do hear the tail as I expect.

I have quit and relaunched DP and also a shutown-reboot with no success.

Any ideas?

I'm usually pretty good about tracking these little anomalies down but, so far, this one has me baffled.

Thanks!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Slate VerbSuite Within DP Weirdness

Post by labman »

Hey there Buzzy. We noticed it too on the last few versions of VErbsuite. PLease send in a tech note to slate as we did!

It aint just you. :)
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

labman wrote:Hey there Buzzy. We noticed it too on the last few versions of VErbsuite. PLease send in a tech note to slate as we did!

It aint just you. :)
Thanks, labman!

I'll do that. I also posted in the Slate Audiophiles group on Facebook with no response, yet. (Busy group, posts get shuffled down fairly quickly.)

But, I did "bump" it just a few minutes ago.

I also noticed that, on occasion, the VerbSuite module won't generate any reverb without either a Mac reboot or a DP relaunch on an existing project.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I've had issues with it too but different ones. It was causing such severe CPU spiking on one song I had to use something else. Had another issue too, but I don't recall what it was as I just came off about 3 weeks of troubleshooting and reinstalling from the ground up. So... I'm not even sure if this is valid info, but at the time Verbsuite was definitely the culprit and I've shied away from using it lately as I have plenty of verbs thankfully. I'm curious - is it a big CPU hog for you Buzzy?
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
labman

Post by labman »

Slate knows the issue. They just can't reproduce it yet of the chop-off

We also saw huge CPU spikes on some versions. Send a note to slate on that too Phil if you can.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

philbrown wrote:I've had issues with it too but different ones. It was causing such severe CPU spiking on one song I had to use something else. Had another issue too, but I don't recall what it was as I just came off about 3 weeks of troubleshooting and reinstalling from the ground up. So... I'm not even sure if this is valid info, but at the time Verbsuite was definitely the culprit and I've shied away from using it lately as I have plenty of verbs thankfully. I'm curious - is it a big CPU hog for you Buzzy?
Phil, hard to say.

Possibly the anomalies are occurring due to a CPU issue but I recently went to a hex core 3.66. And I'm really loading down current projects with a lot of Slate products.

I'll pay more attention, now.

I definitely notice some seemingly random GUI issues with some of the Slate stuff like a Virtual Mix Rack where all appears to be working sonically but no visible activity (meters, glowing mics, etc.)

If I hide a lot of the other plugins and VIs, them the Slate products' GUIs seem more responsive. I know DP prioritizes to ensure better performance and will sometimes have graphic activity displays low on the priority list. I think...

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

David Polich

Post by David Polich »

I haven't noticed this issue on my system. I can stop playback and still hear reverb ringing out.

I have, however, loaded some VMR presets which don't then process audio. My solution has been to just delete and reload the VMR instance, that usually fixes it. Sometimes I've just had to load a blank instance of VMR and re-load the modules again and dial in my settings from memory.

VerbSuite has had some issues...one of which was the flourescent display in the GUI would not
"light" when first calling up an instance of VerbSuite - the solution was to click the "reset all parameters" button on the VSC GUI and then the display would light up again. With the latest build of VMR that issue seems to have been resolved.

Keep notifying Slate tech support - they ARE good about checking their plugs in DP. I should know, I personally visited Slate headquarters back in January and talked at length about DP with Steven himself.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

David Polich wrote:
I have, however, loaded some VMR presets which don't then process audio. My solution has been to just delete and reload the VMR instance, that usually fixes it. Sometimes I've just had to load a blank instance of VMR and re-load the modules again and dial in my settings from memory.

Keep notifying Slate tech support - they ARE good about checking their plugs in DP. I should know, I personally visited Slate headquarters back in January and talked at length about DP with Steven himself.
VMR bypassing itself is driving me freaking nuts. I'm trying to finish an album mix and it's a real dealkiller. I put in a support ticket about it this morning. FYI, for me bypassing VMR at DP's mixer and unbypassing temporarily fixes it until the next time it happens. messing within the VMR GUI does nothing.

Sorry about the thread sidestep Buzzy - just wanted to post the lastest. I took Verbsuite out of my mixes on this present project because of the extreme CPU spiking which I did mention as an aside to Slate. I'll look into that when this project is done- in a couple of weeks hopefully.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

FYI Buzzy - I just tested Verbsuite DP 9.12, OS 10.12.5. On an aux track I hear the trail when the transport is stopped. On an audio stereo track, no tail. Note- this was a mostly empty test file, I can't speak for a big project.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

philbrown wrote:FYI Buzzy - I just tested Verbsuite DP 9.12, OS 10.12.5. On an aux track I hear the trail when the transport is stopped. On an audio stereo track, no tail. Note- this was a mostly empty test file, I can't speak for a big project.
Thanks, Phil.

It is, indeed, perplexing. Some projects, no problem. Another project, no tail (or trail).

Buzzy

Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

labman

Post by labman »

Hey there folks. Paul over at Slate asked me to post this here. Please send them your list of issues asap.

her said... Can you post on the forum and ask users to submit a support ticket here?: https://slatedigital.zendesk.com/hc/en- ... _id=334407
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

labman wrote:Hey there folks. Paul over at Slate asked me to post this here. Please send them your list of issues asap.

her said... Can you post on the forum and ask users to submit a support ticket here?: https://slatedigital.zendesk.com/hc/en- ... _id=334407
I'm already in contact with him. Also the Verbsuite CPU spiking has gone away since I did my major upgrade 8.07 > 9.12 and 10.9.5 > 10.12.5. I let Paul know that. Still having the VMR acting like it's bypassed issue though which he's also aware of.