Help! can't record MIDI!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
taka
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Help! can't record MIDI!

Post by taka »

...My Arturia Keylab 88, connected via USB, stopped playing notes on DP9.13. (It works fine with stand-alone synths etc).

MIDI monitor shows it's receiving note-on and note-off, and I can even assign sliders/knobs to VI's controls and they work fine. Just the notes are not playing..

Input filter is all clear so nothing is being filtered.. What am I missing?

Thank you! Taka**
Last edited by taka on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
DP11.3, OS 13.6.3, Mac Mini 2018 6 core 3.2GHz i7 32GB RAM
Slate, Waves, Soundtoys, GRM Tools, Audio Ease etc etc..
taka

Re: Help! MIDI keyboard stopped working

Post by taka »

p.s. so I think what's happening is that, DP is receiving MIDI from the Keylab, but its note informations are not routed to the record-enabled MIDI track.. If I try to step record, 'current step' moves forward with correct note displayed, but nothing gets recorded to the track...
taka

Re: Help! MIDI keyboard stopped working

Post by taka »

p.p.s.

I can't even play record-enabled MIDI instrument with MIDI keys, so it's not really the problem with my keyboard...
stubbsonic

Re: Help! can't record MIDI notes!

Post by stubbsonic »

My first guess would have been that you needed to open AudioMIDI Setup and reconnect the controller. I have to "refresh" that setting all the time. For some reason, my computer won't just remember it.

But if MIDI Keys isn't working, something else is going on. Hmmmm. Good luck!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
taka

Re: Help! can't record MIDI notes!

Post by taka »

HI stubsonic, yes I've checked AudioMIDI setup, but as it's connected via USB, I don't need to connect the 'wires' there, it doesn't let me do it anyway...

Problem seems to be strictly DP, for some reason, record-enabling a MIDI track is not letting that MIDI track receive incoming MIDI data...
taka

Re: Help! can't record MIDI!

Post by taka »

Looks like I just cannot record any MIDI... Basically the record-enable button on MIDI tracks don't work, so that I can't even step-record with MIDI keys on that track.. What's going on???
taka

Post by taka »

I launched Garageband to see how it works. Everything seems fine, I can play, record MIDI with the Keylab...Mystery deepens.... :-(
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

If all the tracks have valid inputs and outputs assigned, I guess you might want to start a fresh project and see if it works in there. Also, try logging in as a different (new) user and see if that does anything. Then try re-installing DP.

Good luck!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

taka

Post by taka »

Yes I have:

--Created a new empty project
--Enabled Multi Record and specifically assigned Keylab88 as MIDI input source
--Reinstalled DP9.13

Nothing worked so far...

I haven't tried creating new user account, but as all standalone apps and Garageband work OK as it is, I'm not sure if it would make any difference?
taka

Post by taka »

....Actually, could anyone tell me how to completely uninstall DP (what app support files etc I need to delete)?
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

taka wrote:....Actually, could anyone tell me how to completely uninstall DP (what app support files etc I need to delete)?
If you want to leave no trace of DP, do this:
From MOTU´s site:
Here is a full list of all files installed with Digital Performer:

Macintosh HD/Applications/Digital Performer.app

Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/MOTU/Digital Performer
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/MOTU/LiveRoomB
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/MOTU/LiveRoomG
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/MOTU/LiveStage
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/MOTU/Model12
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/MOTU/nanosampler
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/MOTU/ProVerb
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/MOTU/Springamabob

Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/MOTU

Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS
Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Audio Export

Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/EuCon.bundle
Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/HUI.bundle
Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/MackieControl.bundle
Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/OpenSoundControl.bundle
Macintosh HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MOTU Control Surface/SAC DP Driver.bundle

The following are your preference files, which are found in the User Library.

For OS X 10.6.8 navigate directly to MacHD-> Users->(Your User Name)->Library->Preferences
For OS X 10.7.x-10.10.x: Hold the Option Key while clicking on the Finder's "GO" drop-down menu, select Library, then open the Preferences folder.

Delete the following files/folders, or move them to your desktop if you plan to restore your preference settings after reinstalling Digital Performer:

com.motu.DigitalPerformer (folder)
com.motu.DigitalPerformer.plist (file)
com.motu.MotuAudioSystem (folder)

If you just want to uninstall the preferences, do this:
If a specific Digital Performer is exhibiting graphical issues or crashing in a consistent manner, try launching the project in Safe Mode. Click the DP icon/.dpdoc file as if to launch normally, and immediately hold the Alt/Option key when you see the DP splash screen. In the Plug-In Set Selection window that appears, select “Safe”. This will launch DP with only MOTU plug-ins enabled. If the project launches and operates correctly in Safe Mode, suspect a third-party plug-in issue.

If the issues also occur in Safe Mode, it is possible that the project file or one of its components is corrupted. Try creating a fresh version of the project by one of the following processes:

(1.) Create an empty project and use File > Load to open the project in question within the new project. Be sure to select "Load Chunks" and highlight the Chunks you wish to transfer, as well as any Soundbites, Consoles, Settings, etc. The new, loaded Chunk will then appear as a selectable option in your Sequence Menu.

(2.) Use File > Save A Copy As... to create a duplicate of the project and all of its components.

(3.) Utilize DP's Clippings function to transfer sequence data from one project to another. Use Project > Clippings > New Digital Performer Clippings Window to summon a small, floating window ('Untitled' by default). Drag whichever data you wish to transfer into this Clippings Window; this can include Soundbites, MIDI data, Tracks, or entire Chunks/Sequences.

Then, open a new project and use Project > Clippings to access your previously created Clippings Window at the bottom of this menu. Drag the entities from this window into your fresh project.

(4.) If you can identify a point in time at which this behavior began, you could try opening the project from an autosave in the project folder. Autosave settings are configured in Preferences > General > Document > Autosave.

If this behavior occurs in multiple projects, it could indicate a corrupted preference file within DP. This would necessitate a preference removal. Note that this process will reset any custom configurations you may have set, such as Themes/Colors, Project Templates, and Command Bindings. It will also cause DP to rescan your audio plug-ins upon startup.

Mac Users:
Quit DP. Then, open any Finder window and click the Go menu. With the menu exposed, hold the Option key and click the Library item that appears in the list. Scroll down to the folder called Preferences, and locate the folder and .plist files named “com.motu.DigitalPerformer,” as well as “com.motu.MotuAudioSystem.” Move these to the desktop, open DP and test the behavior.

Windows Users:
Quit DP. Then, go to C:\Users\Username\AppData (you will need to type this in the file path manually)\Local\MOTU\Digital Performer\Preferences, and delete the contents of the Preferences folder. Then, relaunch DP and test this behavior.
Sorry I didn't just post the links, but I had saved them as web archive documents with no pointer to the original.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
taka

Post by taka »

Thank You FMiguelez, I think I'll just try a complete erase/reinstall of DP....
taka

Post by taka »

OK I've done complete uninstall (as FMiguelez posted) and reinstall of DP9.13 and it seems to be working OK now.... phew... :-)
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for following up. Nice to know that worked and solved your issue!

taka

Post by taka »

Yeah it was a strange one-! I guess it was coming from years of caches, prefs etc building up...

Although I've trashed everything MOTU site says, when I opened the newly-installed 'clean' DP9, greyed-out old 'recently opened projects' from around 2013/2014 showed up at the end of splash screen, I wonder where these info are stored??

In any case, it's all good now, thanks for your advices!

Taka***